Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I'm excited to see this and look forward to possibly going. I'm only hoping I'm not out of town when it will be scheduled. Our chief told us the other day he is scheduling some out of town training in Dallas in early May for a few days, but doesnt have a firm date yet.
Bryan, you have got make sure you can attend!! Many would like to meet you, present company included, and you live so close to the location that it would be sacrilege for you to not be able to come!! All it takes is attending one Shelbyfest and you're hooked for life!
Screw the company... we're gonna make him smoke us a brisket! 😉

·
Premium Member
2008 Vista Blue with White Stripes
666 Posts
When you come to DFW, assuming it’s not during SF, give me a holler Bryan!
I'm certain it'll be Dallas we do the training at. What I don't know as of yet besides the date (but I can ask) is where in Dallas. Our last time going was three years ago in Salt Lake, and literally right on the airport grounds, but that training school closed, so this year we are going to Dallas for the first time. I wouldn't be surprised if its also on the airport grounds, but I will ask our training officer my next work day on Tuesday. But as I get info, I will definitely let you know! It'd be great to meet you in person. In a perfect world, we meet up there, and then a week or so later (or before) in Jeff City.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
/quote
Screw the company... we're gonna make him smoke us a brisket! 😉
/quote

If I thought I could somehow figure out a way logistically, I wouldn't mind bringing a few smoked briskets down....but that would sure be a tough drive in the Mustang....3+ hours of driving while smelling brisket the entire time?? ROFL

·
Registered
90 Posts
Would like to be there for the entire event this year.
Only been able to do one day a year in the past.
Met a few members here and there over the past few years.

Kyle, as we have some common friends (I grew up in Ashland) you have been mentioned in more than one conversation.

Need to put some faces with the names.

Jeff

·
Registered
170 Posts
Would like to be there for the entire event this year.
Only been able to do one day a year in the past.
Met a few members here and there over the past few years.

Kyle, as we have some common friends (I grew up in Ashland) you have been mentioned in more than one conversation.

Need to put some faces with the names.

Jeff
Okay now you have to tell me who our common friends are :)

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
"Why is everybody always pickin' on me " ..... (by the Bloodhound Gang) ... :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 209880 :ROFLMAO:
Since just a few of us live here in Kansas City, I have to hijack this thread for just a second after seeing this picture.

We have a bridge here in Kansas City in an older part of town that is lower in height in comparison to most typical overpasses. It literally makes the news at LEAST once a month (probably 2-3 times actually), if not more, for semi's and larger trucks trying to go under it and literally getting the top of the trailer ripped off when attempting to drive under it.

As a FAO (fire apparatus operator aka 'driver of the rig'), any fao working or responding to an emergency in that area, gets reminded of that bridge numerous times and is expected to know to avoid it since (even pumpers driving under it is at a risk of clipping the underside) it has caused so much damage to various vehicles.

Our local paper (so anti-fire department that I wouldn't use it to line a a dog kennel) is to the point that most articles start off with a headline reading '12th street overpass, Still Undefeated'. I honestly am amazed that it hasn't been ripped down and rebuilt since there have been SO MANY accidents, but the city government moves extremely slow so maybe it's in the works. I've always wondered how insurance companies handle something like this. Is it the fault of the driver? Its not like most overpasses that are pretty low (outisde of the norm) don't have signs posted warning drivers, but still....

Reactions: Masbury

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
667 Posts
Since just a few of us live here in Kansas City, I have to hijack this thread for just a second after seeing this picture.

We have a bridge here in Kansas City in an older part of town that is lower in height in comparison to most typical overpasses. It literally makes the news at LEAST once a month (probably 2-3 times actually), if not more, for semi's and larger trucks trying to go under it and literally getting the top of the trailer ripped off when attempting to drive under it.

As a FAO (fire apparatus operator aka 'driver of the rig'), any fao working or responding to an emergency in that area, gets reminded of that bridge numerous times and is expected to know to avoid it since (even pumpers driving under it is at a risk of clipping the underside) it has caused so much damage to various vehicles.

Our local paper (so anti-fire department that I wouldn't use it to line a a dog kennel) is to the point that most articles start off with a headline reading '12th street overpass, Still Undefeated'. I honestly am amazed that it hasn't been ripped down and rebuilt since there have been SO MANY accidents, but the city government moves extremely slow so maybe it's in the works. I've always wondered how insurance companies handle something like this. Is it the fault of the driver? Its not like most overpasses that are pretty low (outisde of the norm) don't have signs posted warning drivers, but still....
Is this the overpass on Southwest Boulevard? As you are hiding East, before you get to Broadway, etc.? That one always seemed low.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
I've always wondered how insurance companies handle something like this. Is it the fault of the driver?
If the overpass is clearly marked with a DOT approved "clearance sign", then it is a "chargeable accident" to the driver. Usually a companies insurance will cover the damage (to truck and overpass) depending on what kind of policy the company has purchased ... but the driver will more than likely be fired. Some companies allow several (2-3) "chargeable accidents" before they fire you .. depends on the severity of the accident.
Ancient history, but I remember stopping several times at the low overpass on 43 by Broadway (gone now) to help a stuck driver get out (usually by letting the air out of ALL tires to lower the truck by several inches), and then pulling them backwards. It was another location that frequently got hit ... thank goodness they got rid of it. When you're a city delivery truck, you learn REAL FAST to watch for bridges and low overpasses ... it can destroy your truck/trailer and your career. :(

NOW ... BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING ...... (sorry Shelbyfest)

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 Performance Blue
205 Posts
Awesome! Thank you everyone for all the preparations! Hoping to actually bring my car this year. :)
Hey Ron - random question: but do you plan to drive or trailer your car? I guess I’d be curious as to what people from our neck of the woods do, as I feel like we are in a grey area in terms of distance.

Still debating whether I will attend my first one of these this year, or wait until I’ve done more to the car.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,459 Posts
Hey Ron - random question: but do you plan to drive or trailer your car? I guess I’d be curious as to what people from our neck of the woods do, as I feel like we are in a grey area in terms of distance.

Still debating whether I will attend my first one of these this year, or wait until I’ve done more to the car.
Don’t worry about having mods to show. Your car is awesome as is and although this is a car event, it is more about the good times with people. As for trailering versus driving, I’ve done both coming from Texas. Expect rain at some point, so don’t do a deep cleaning of your car beforehand if you will be driving. You’ll just have to repeat those efforts once you get there.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts

Jason, I've driven my car to Shelbyfest 4 times. 70 can suck a bit, but the drive is worth it! Great time on the open road. I'm not 100% sure if I'm going yet, but I'll probably be at least reserving a room when they open up. When it gets closer, the Indy guys who are going can chat and see if we want to convoy out. I'm not sure if @TedShred @Dave are going. With Dave teaching, it may be tough for him?

Reactions: CollectedDust

·
Premium Member
2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible
6,215 Posts

Driving ?

Haa, I am in Arizona.

I drive it every time, a little over 1,400 miles (one way) and drive it straight thru, no problem at all.
But I love to drive mine. And as far as I know I am typically the first one there! Truth.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
10,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Driving ?

Haa, I am in Arizona.

I drive it every time, a little over 1,400 miles (one way) and drive it straight thru, no problem at all.
But I love to drive mine. And as far as know I am typically the first one there! Truth.
Yes, and he's always there to greet Sharon and I and rub it in!

·
Premium Member
2013 Shelby GT500 performance white
855 Posts

Planning on trailering out right now. It is a great time! If my trailer don’t get made in time, then I’ll drive out. However, my trailer should be done in plenty of time.
Would be great convoy out with everyone that’s going, if we can make it work.

41 - 60 of 178 Posts