Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

641 - 660 of 664 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
So what time is the group naked anti-rain dance tonight? You folks be careful. I see another flood watch warning issued after the last one I posted. Looks like the bulk of the rain today will be over Arkansas and back to Missouri tomorrow and Friday. Saturday looks nice, or at least the nicest conditions this week.
I'm afraid if there is to be another we will be confined to boats!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
Ken and Mike (when you get there), is the truck and trailer parking area across the street a muddy mess with all this rain? Can't remember what it looked like in the satellite images. If it is all muddy, is there another spot for me to park? I don't want to slog through mud, and I definitely won't unload Shelby in it. Total length of my truck & trailer is 40 feet. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Woke up at 0430 hrs. and can't get back to sleep! Just waiting for the sunrise! It's not raining from what I can tell. Sharon is not enamored with the Colgan car bra hanging in the shower! It did dry overnight so I'll put it back on shortly. Should be on the road for Jeff City by about 0630 hrs.!! We're coming rain or shine. This is a quest and mission rolled into one! We'll be there soon Ken!
Mike, the more I think about it, I think the Big Guy above was looking out for you. He didn't want the maiden voyage of your newly acquired GT350 to be in these conditions. So, he set forth a plan to keep it out of your possession. We don't always get what we want, but we get what we need. ;)

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Gang, I'm not trying to scare anyone, but I don't want to see anyone losing their car either. You don't live in Louisiana at 30' elevation and not monitor flood levels, so I want to pass on some observations. Here is the NWS data for water levels and crest predictions for the Missouri River at Jefferson City. Current prediction is 4.5' above flood stage. The major flood stage is only 2.5' higher than that. Not being familiar with the elevation between the river and the hotel, you might want to do some due diligence. It takes some time for rivers to crest as water around it drains to the lowest point, so the crest is expected to be Friday. Your hotel is about 1/4 mile from the Missouri River. Parking below ground might not be a good idea. You might want to talk to the hotel staff about past flood events and their impact on the hotel parking lot and garage. Surely there's a levy system as well. Indoor parking is likely to be a premium if a large group shows up. That page shows it crested at 28' on April 1st of this year, so that's pretty recent. The last major flood stage was in 2013, If you get more rain in or around Jefferson City, you might want to monitor than hydrologic link. Good luck! I'm a basket case and I'm not even there, much less heading that way.

·
Premium Member
7,410 Posts
Has Shelbyfest been CANCELLED ??? Flood warnings and advisory to stay out of Jeff City have been issued … has anybody spoken with Kyle?? … any official word ?? Just watched drone footage of Davenport, Iowa … this aint good for towns by the rivers …. :(

·
Premium Member
7,410 Posts
Gang, I'm not trying to scare anyone, but I don't want to see anyone losing their car either. You don't live in Louisiana at 30' elevation and not monitor flood levels, so I want to pass on some observations. Here is the NWS data for water levels and crest predictions for the Missouri River at Jefferson City. Current prediction is 4.5' above flood stage. The major flood stage is only 2.5' higher than that. Not being familiar with the elevation between the river and the hotel, you might want to do some due diligence. It takes some time for rivers to crest as water around it drains to the lowest point, so the crest is expected to be Friday. Your hotel is about 1/4 mile from the Missouri River. Parking below ground might not be a good idea. You might want to talk to the hotel staff about past flood events and their impact on the hotel parking lot and garage. Surely there's a levy system as well. Indoor parking is likely to be a premium if a large group shows up. That page shows it crested at 28' on April 1st of this year, so that's pretty recent. The last major flood stage was in 2013, If you get more rain in or around Jefferson City, you might want to monitor than hydrologic link. Good luck! I'm a basket case and I'm not even there, much less heading that way.

Yes, we are getting warnings about avoiding Jeff City??? Talk about the worst timing EVER … waiting for "official word" from Shelbyfest central …… :(

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Yes, we are getting warnings about avoiding Jeff City??? Talk about the worst timing EVER … waiting for "official word" from Shelbyfest central …… :(

And where is Shelbyfest central, the website?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I wish I could get behind his optimism, but most forecasts I've seen disagree, indicating things won't improve until Saturday, finally getting "nice" in time for Sunday's departure. I hope forecasters are wrong, but warnings like this don't bode well for a fun (or safe) time....
Here is the NWS data for water levels and crest predictions for the Missouri River at Jefferson City. Current prediction is 4.5' above flood stage.
Not being familiar with the elevation between the river and the hotel, you might want to do some due diligence. It takes some time for rivers to crest as water around it drains to the lowest point, so the crest is expected to be Friday. Your hotel is about 1/4 mile from the Missouri River. Parking below ground might not be a good idea. You might want to talk to the hotel staff about past flood events and their impact on the hotel parking lot and garage. Surely there's a levy system as well. Indoor parking is likely to be a premium if a large group shows up. That page shows it crested at 28' on April 1st of this year, so that's pretty recent. The last major flood stage was in 2013, If you get more rain in or around Jefferson City, you might want to monitor than hydrologic link. Good luck! I'm a basket case and I'm not even there, much less heading that way.
+1 to ALL of this!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
I wish I could get behind his optimism, but most forecasts I've seen disagree, indicating things won't improve until Saturday, finally getting "nice" in time for Sunday's departure. I hope forecasters are wrong, but warnings like this don't bode well for a fun (or safe) time....
I'm trying to be fair and balanced. :grin: I'm sure the "posse" isn't pleased with me for bailing, but take a gander at the Arkansas radar. I don't miss driving through that. But I have another contingent that wasn't pleased with me for missing something here on Friday, so it's a double edged sword for me.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
I'm trying to be fair and balanced. :grin: I'm sure the "posse" isn't pleased with me for bailing, but take a gander at the Arkansas radar. I don't miss driving through that. But I have another contingent that wasn't pleased with me for missing something here on Friday, so it's a double edged sword for me.
No One is going to hold anything agaist you or anyone else. Shit just happens! It has been a mess here. I have not left the hotel nor driven out of the garage since I got here. It may clear up some, all are wishing it would, but then it may not. It is pretty damn wet here I know that!
Mike, 03reptile and wife are here and we sat down stairs, talked for awhile and Mike put out the parking signs as best as he could. There are other cars down there in the dungeon (not Shelby types) but there is no controlling that aspect.
Sometimes you have to look at both 'edges' of sword and be aware of the best choice for yourself and circumstance, it is part of what we do as adults.

·
#1 Mike!
8,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #656 (Edited)
Okay. Been here since 0915hrs this morning. No rain since we left Collinsville, Ill. Its 1230 now and although cloudy, no rain. The dungeon is dry and I've put the parking signs out. There are some civilian cars where we usually park, but I just moved the parking area a little further up. Drive in and look for your sign. You're free to move them to another location, nearby, just don't move SuziQ's sign! Should work out okay. When we go home on Sunday, just leave the signs in your space and I will pick them up and return them to the vault in Maryland until next year. Catmonkey, are you not coming? Sharon and I spent the morning with 'cause just catching up and putiing out the signs. We're all checked in and we're going to be at the watering hole (lounge) around 1630 hrs, when it opens up. Mike, (Kodiak) the parking lot across from the hotel is all paved..no mud. The parking lot is full right now with employee cars. I'll try to do some reconnoiter for you as to where to park your trailer on the Hotel side.I'll text you with what I find out. Got info and you obviously got my text! See yas soon!

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Okay. Been here since 0915hrs this morning. No rain since we left Collinsville, Ill. Its 1230 now

and although cloudy, no rain. ........
I tried to tell everyone, my mid-nite NUDE ANTI-RAIN DANCE does not Fail!!!!!!

(I will have CD copies for sale at a later date, Ok, I'll offer discounts to only female owners of GT500's) Oh, wait, I think SuziQ may be our only one! :jawdrop:

..... Mike, (Kodiak) the parking lot across from the hotel is all paved..no mud. The parking lot is full right now with employee cars......
Now if you PREFER a spot with mud I'm sure we can find just a place for you, there is enough room down by the river where Greg (blackcad) will be parking The Van.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Okay. Been here since 0915hrs this morning. No rain since we left Collinsville, Ill. Its 1230 now and although cloudy, no rain. The dungeon is dry and I've put the parking signs out. There are some civilian cars where we usually park, but I just moved the parking area a little further up. Drive in and look for your sign. You're free to move them to another location, nearby, just don't move SuziQ's sign! Should work out okay. When we go home on Sunday, just leave the signs in your space and I will pick them up and return them to the vault in Maryland until next year.
Congrats on making it there, and thanks (again) for all the coordination, sign-making, and staking-out parking spots! Trixie and I are disappointed we aren't making it to SF this year. We have every intention of being there next year, so please hang onto my sign.

Catmonkey, are you not coming?
Sorry guys, I pulled the plug on this trip. I've been monitoring the Weather Channel in my office all morning. I hope the forecast doesn't affect y'all, but the probabilities were too great for me to take a chance with that long a drive. I may be kicking myself come Sunday, but I'll get over it. Have fun, don't make my ears bleed too bad.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Catmonkey, are you not coming?
No, Mike I pulled the plug on Monday after monitoring the Weather Channel most of Monday morning. My gut told me this was a bad idea and I ended up cancelling my reservations. When I don't trust my gut, I usually live to regret it. It was getting too complicated on my end (post 546) and the weather just made me too paranoid to attempt getting my car there with lowered ride height and wide competition tires. I had one butt puckering event in my mid-20s with wide tires with poor siping (remember Formula 1 Super Stock tires with their dog bone tread pattern) and I'm not anxious to relive that experience. I somehow managed to regain control of it, but rest assured it was divine intervention and not driving skill that saved my ass. Wednesday was forecast to be the worst weather-wize which was my day to drive in, but it looks like that may have happened yesterday, at least in MO. It's still raining in Arkansas, but it's not storming like it was this morning. I'll make my annual meeting after all. I'm not planning any major tear downs before next year, so my car will be ready if the weather cooperates. So please pick up my sign, and I hope to use it next year. You guys and gals stay safe and don't be too hard on me. :cheers:

No wonder these guys are no longer in business.

They weren't bad on dry pavement.

How fast would any of you want to drive on the tire on the left in a downpour?

Anyway.... true story.

641 - 660 of 664 Posts