Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Did you folks notice the back of the SF t-shirt doesn't even have a Shelby pictured on it? I thought it was odd to put two pictures of GTs on the back. Yes, I know all Mustangs are welcome, but hey, it's SF which I would think could get one of those cars a Shelby on the back.
Hell, the guy that heads up Shelbyfest got on the mic, introduced himself and announced that he didn’t even own a Shelby. Then said he was director of some Missouri Mustang club, I thought he was going to say he didn’t even own a Mustang...my dad and I laughed when we heard him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator Dude!
28,229 Posts
Hell, the guy that heads up Shelbyfest got on the mic, introduced himself and announced that he didn’t even own a Shelby. Then said he was director of some Missouri Mustang club, I thought he was going to say he didn’t even own a Mustang...my dad and I laughed when we heard him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be Kyle. He has good intentions.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I had a great time but my brother and I both wondered why the guest speaker only talked about the FGT. Nothing regarding the new GT500. Also, we were both hoping Ford would bring a 2020 Shelby GT500 to Shelbyfest so we could see one up close. Hopefully next year. ;)

·
Moderator Dude!
28,229 Posts
I had a great time but my brother and I both wondered why the guest speaker only talked about the FGT. Nothing regarding the new GT500. Also, we were both hoping Ford would bring a 2020 Shelby GT500 to Shelbyfest so we could see one up close. Hopefully next year. ;)
I was also disappointed that there was no 2020 GT500. Ford had a GT350 there when it was still a prototype. It was parked in the dungeon with us. We were all shocked to see it there. I was expecting a repeat with the new 500.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I was also disappointed that there was no 2020 GT500. Ford had a GT350 there when it was still a prototype. It was parked in the dungeon with us. We were all shocked to see it there. I was expecting a repeat with the new 500.

When Mike @03reptile was talking to the Ford rep that brought the GT 350, he stated that the plan was in fact to bring a new GT 500. From what he said, Ford didn't get enough prototypes built to be able to bring one to Shelbyfest though. Not sure if that was case, but that is what he told us. I thought for sure they would have one there as well. I was disappointed that I couldn't see one in person too.

·
Premium Member
7,410 Posts
... he stated that the plan was in fact to bring a new GT 500. I was disappointed that I couldn't see one in person too.
I was also disappointed that there was no 2020 GT500. I was expecting a repeat with the new 500.
Also, we were both hoping Ford would bring a 2020 Shelby GT500 to Shelbyfest so we could see one up close. Hopefully next year. ;)
I thought he was going to say he didn’t even own a Mustang...
Yeah … Shelbyfest 2019 really sucked .. rain, low turnout, no NEW GT500 …. BUT, ShelbyGT500FORUMFest 2019 was its usual vibrant, fun-loving, joke-poking, great company self … couldn't have been much better.... even @Goose17 abstained from spreading "fairy dust" everywhere and controlled his nudity obsession quite well …. and what's this nonsense about not even owning a Mustang????… the nerve of that guy!!! LOL :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Not sure what you are referring to... spill the beans!

I just know when this moved from Hermann to Jeff City, multiple original members of the organizing team did not go along with the new direction. Nothing to do about location change but more to do about the optics around this being a charitable event. I know a few others on the forum know the background as well.

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
I mentioned the t-shirt because I'd heard some of the same stuff Tag was referring too. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed meeting all the forum members, and I think I was able to spend some time with each to get to know them better. However, when I tell folks about what I thought was missing, I told them the Shelby seems to be falling out of SF, Ford didn't bring a new GT500 to SF (of all shows!), SA didn't come to SF, the Ford rep was very late to the banquet and said something along the lines that he had to work (really?!), and there was an apparent emphasis on local clubs in various ways. The local club thing is a little understanding if they have a key role in sponsoring and helping with the event, but it appeared our forum is sliding in importance. Just look at the one example of how we waited about 2 hours before being allowed to drive into the Sat show, and then Jon and I got split up from the rest of the forum when we were parked. I agree with @Carsten89 about why didn't the Ford rep talk about the new GT500 vice the GT. I did enjoy what he presented, but let's face it, talking about the newest Shelby at SF19 would have been much more on target. To me it's another example of how the Shelby is falling out of SF.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Shelby is getting lost from "Shelby Fest"
The tag line now of 'All Fords/Mustangs' has turned it into a Mustang/Ford Gathering, granted there are some VERY nice Mustangs that show up and are a pleasure to see... but... It seemed to me there were fewer Shelby's than previous years. I suppose as things become 'more commercial' the core values change.

Even the dynamics of this 'forum group' has changed. There was a 'charitable' function of our meeting at SF that has been sadly lost. I miss that. We don't even get together as a 'group' for a meal, I realize there has been some splintering due to personality differences/conflicts in the past couple years. It is a shame that adults with a common interest can't get past that for even just 2-3 days out of a year! So you don't care for the personality of one or two people, get past it, that is no reason to divide an entire group. There are a few things that I don't like, and I am certain some don't care for my brash, dry sense of humor, so what! There is no need to create angst in the entire forum group for how you feel about one or two individuals. It was so obvious in just sitting in the lounge, there was like a Mason/Dixon line when several tables were pulled together. And WHY? Because a personality clashes with another, adults should be able to get together, look past that and enjoy the moments shared with the group. SF shouldn't be about you, or your car, It should be about the GROUP, so perhaps take the next year we all can think about the fun and laughs that could be had by just dropping this animosity and all enjoying the Event and the People. Maybe we could even get back to a meal together and the auction for a charitable cause that we had before, it just might, maybe, bring some joy back into it and yourself.

I guess I'm through with my not typical serious rant.

I STILL do not like the format of this NEW site.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I thoroughly enjoyed meeting everybody at Shelbyfest! I’m sorry to hear it wasn’t as big as previous years or even any splintering that may be going on. But I think we can all agree on one thing, we love the Shelby! We can build upon that! It is awesome to see people from different backgrounds come together for a common cause. As a minister of the gospel of Jesus Christ the good Lord knows I don’t agree with everything out there and I can either spend all my time arguing with people with what I don’t agree with or we can build upon what we do agree on. I’d rather do the building. If we as Forum members abandon Shelbyfest then there clearly will be no Shelbyfest. One thing that is clearly awesome is the friendships we make at Shelbyfest by meeting new people. As for members let’s do our best to continue to show the importance of keeping Shelby in Shelbyfest and let’s do everything we can to make next year a even better year! I know I am a newbie, but I feel like I belong. :)(y)

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
@Rjstevens
Believe me when I say the farthest thing from my intent is want SF to come to any end...
I, like you, would absolutely want everything and Everyone to just move on and make the event COMPLETELY enjoyable again. I know there are several new members that have little knowledge of some of the OLD angst that was there and a little that still lingers. Some of the old bickering had to stop and has and it IS NOT my purpose or goal to rekindle ANY of that and all... even I was a little drawn into it but my better sense kept me out of it on the forum to avoid the repercussions of such behavior.
I just believe it is about time for some to let it go in the best interest of all. Perhaps even let some work out some differences to a point where some past member can return. Trust me, far worse things have been overcome.

·
#1 Mike!
8,622 Posts
I guess I came somewhat late to the party known as Shelbyfest. My first attendance was 2014 in Hermann, Mo. which was also the last year it was held there. I'm unaware of the internal politics or mission statement of the event in the earlier years before I attended. I do remember it was predominantly for Shelby Mustangs, AC Cobras, and Ford GT40s only. I did note that in the 2014 event, our forum group was spread out over different bed and breakfasts throughout the town and we ended up hanging with Vito, his wife, Pat, Kevin, Tim, (Kev's brother), Nick and Amy, and Doug and his family. All of which stayed at the same bed and breakfast we occupied. Sorry if I left anyone else out...memory fails. Goose and others stayed at different locations. We did manage to get together at a restaurant for an evening, but both Sharon and I felt we missed seeing some other attendees just because of the logistics. The day of the show, we were able to meet more people. The banquet was held at the local firehouse and was a bit of a snooze fest which always seems to be the case in these type of events. All in all, it was apparent that the number of people attending was overwhelming the town's ability to handle the number of attendees. I too like the quaint Germanic town, but things change and the move was probably necessary. I also heard rumors that the town residents were getting less than happy to see the event take over their town. Thus the move to Jefferson city.
I'd like to address some of the concerns or observations about Shelbyfest from 2015 to present. I agree that there seems to be a movement away from the "Shelbys only" theme that was prevalent in Hermann. We, as a forum group, don't have any significant say about that. That's a decision made by Kyle Caraway and his staff of organizers. I'm sure they wanted to be more inclusive, and grow as a result. I was also disappointed that Ford was unable to provide us all with a look at the new GT500. The size and attendance of this event surely dictated that FMC should have stepped up. They didn't, so that's that. I do think our Forum group of about 40 attendees has shrunk in importance to the organizers of Shelbyfest. There could be many reasons for this. It may be the result of the size and confusion of the events organization, local clubs participation in the event and active, hands on, work done by them, or the growth of the whole event. I don't think Kyle purposefully ignores our group but I also think he's really pulled in 12 different directions in trying to accommodate so many people, sponsors, car clubs etc. Last year we had to wait about an hour to get brought up to the show, so I kinda expected the same thing. It was unfortunate that a street intersection separated some of our group. I don't know if "favoritism" played a part in our delayed move to the show. It could be and it also just could be just glitches in the system. We all know that happens in a large event like this.
The banquet was not that disappointing for me. I was miffed that the speaker showed up late and offered a lame ass excuse. Unprofessional. I fully agree that the Ford GT presentation was not what we wanted to hear about. Not much we could do but listen. The drawings were fun and I got lucky and won a set of tires that will go on my Fusion! Dillan hit the jackpot!!! The food was good and the charity auctions were a success. All in all, it wasn't that uncomfortable.
Regarding our two past Forum auctions that we held for Dr. Ansel (sp?) and Kurtdog's, the following year. These were generated as a result of financial need to help offset some medical bills that both had accrued due to serious medical issues. The last couple of years no one was in any dire straits, that we were aware of, on our forum, so we didn't have an auction, etc. I guess we could do anything we want to pick a charity to be the recipient of an auction in the future. That's certainly up for discussion. I've kept the fun run to the Hermann Winery alive, because of selfish reasons, and those attending seemed to enjoy it. The weather put a damper on everything and we just had to suck it up.
The separation of powers was noted in the lounge get-togethers. I fervently wish things could be different with some present and past members, but that ship has sailed and despite our feeling about forgive and forget, I don't see anything changing. I do think we would have taken some group walks uptown to eat at a restaurant or find a nice bar, had it not been for the rain and unpredictability of when it would pour on us again. Wives would not have been happy!
Things change; sometimes for the better and sometimes not. My biggest driving force in coming to Shelbyfest each year is to see the folks on this forum, in person, and enjoy just being with you all. For me, the FordGT500 forum has promulgated friendship and good times that I would not have experienced, otherwise. Shelbyfest has been a conduit for us all to get together once a year and just enjoy each other's unique personalities and accompanying laughter, cars, and friendships that continue to grow.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
@‘cause
I hope my post didn’t come across wrong. I did not pick up any bad intent from anybody. Just saying how much I enjoyed meeting everybody and looking forward to getting to know everybody better, and meeting others.
I thoroughly enjoyed Shelbyfest and looking forward to next year being an even better year. :)

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
@‘cause
I hope my post didn’t come across wrong. I did not pick up any bad intent from anybody. Just saying how much I enjoyed meeting everybody and looking forward to getting to know everybody better, and meeting others.
I thoroughly enjoyed Shelbyfest and looking forward to next year being an even better year. :)
Nothing wrong here... all's good
See ya next year @ SF.
(y)

·
Premium Member
7,410 Posts
I've always considered Shelbyfest as a totally separate event from our GT500 Forum, we participate in it, but WE are not the REASON for it, so whatever changes happen with Shelbyfest, don't really affect my desire for our Forum group to get together. We've had some of our own 'problems' within our group, (happens with most large groups), but that still doesn't affect my relationships with members I enjoy …. and as other members have stated, this years Forum get-togethers (bar drinking, Pizza night, Hermann Run & Lunch, etc.) were just as enjoyable as ever. So, even if the Jefferson City event turns into "Muscle Car Mania", I hope our Forum Group can still get together for some laughs and good times. I had fun and might even attend again next year ………

121 - 140 of 163 Posts