Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Deep Impact Blue GT500
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Personally, this particular part is so subject to scrapes and damage, I'd just hydro-dip an OEM splitter and call it a day. For anywhere else on the car, real CF would be fine. I do love the way these look but I scrape something nearly every time I take it out and these are just too expensive.
I agree. I love the look of the SS splitter. if they have a fiber glass option I would definitely go with that and have it painted gloss black.

·
Premium Member
Ruby Red 2014
2,390 Posts
The SS splitter has almost 2” more ground clearance than the stock style.

·
Registered
2014 Deep Impact Blue GT500
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The SS splitter has almost 2” more ground clearance than the stock style.
its def less likely to get damaged. but I guess the problem is that its expensive and once its damaged it's very difficult to be repaired. I had a 2014 gt premium with gt500 front end. It's lowered so I scrape it every once in a while and sometimes even while backing out on my driveway. It doesn't bother me too much because it's a $179 part. Gotta be extra careful now once I get the SS splitter in hand

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
38,373 Posts
You can always install SLIPLO on the splitter for protection. I put it on my 2020. It works great!

Reactions: Jericho and 2112

·
Registered
2009 KR
35 Posts
The only way I was able to find a front splitter made of CF was ordering it directly from TruFiber, or another site that also sold the TruFiber part, and from what I could find at the time (about 6 months ago), all production of the SS splitter was gone, and only ones that ‘resembled’ were being produced.
Hey Bryan, what was the part # of the splitter you got from Trufiber ? They seem to offer two, with quite a difference in price and I’m trying to figure out what I want to do. Thanks !

·
Premium Member
2008 Vista Blue with White Stripes
1,123 Posts
Hey Bryan, what was the part # of the splitter you got from Trufiber ? They seem to offer two, with quite a difference in price and I’m trying to figure out what I want to do. Thanks !
Cosmetics Finger Line Font Material property

That is a photo I just took of mine that is still wrapped from shipping. I still need to take it to get the 'wrapping' done to it like I did for my rocker panels (to add a slight amount of additional protection to the CF) so I left it alone when it arrived. Since I never officially unwrapped it, it'd be absolutely my fault if it is damaged in any way, so I'll have no one to blame but myself. Since I had ordered a CF hood AND the CF rockers previously (and completely removed everything to check them over prior to signing for them), any 'issue' will be completely on ME. Not my sharpest moment (for not confirming it is good to go like the hood and rockers were when they arrived).

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Tire

Now, I'm not gonna lie....when I was ordering mine last year (I cannot exactly remember when I did it, but it was Sept, Oct at the latest), this was the ONLY version they had at all and told me on the phone specifically that they didn't expect to have the other one available at ANY point for quite some time if ever. With that response, I pulled the trigger on the one I've pictured above.

That being said.......I can't deny that if I had it to do again now that I see the other one is at least 'shown' as available, I might have attempted to go that direction instead. I'm sure there are plenty of guys on the site who have the actual Shelby KR front splitter and could confirm or deny what I'm about to type: that I THINK that the other one shown on their site (that wasn't going to be available for a long time if ever), is the one that most closely resembles the original Shelby KR installed one, but I cannot confirm that at all for certain other then suggesting you search out images of Ford Fest's car or WhiteRhino, as I am about 99% certain their cars have original KR ones (I'm sure there are others here that do, I just cannot reliably remember who).

I don't honestly believe its a huge or tremendous difference between the two splitters visually, but the fact is the official 'KR' ones from Shelby are suppose to be gone and never to be produced again. That being the case, it is cool to think IF that second more expensive one resembles the original one that much closer, I'd assume that would mean there are likely fewer of those out versions out there on other GT500's, which would offer a certain amount of 'uniqueness' verses the other version for your car.

Honestly, what got me more then anything was the shipping costs. Its such a weird shape and large size, I'd swear the shipping was everybit in excess of $300, so keep that in mind as well if your on a specific budget you need to adhere to.

If you've never ordered anything like this (or not from TruFiber before), I cannot stress enough to absolutely check everything in your order prior to signing for it from the carrier. Many guys back in the day skipped checking their ordered hoods from TF, and only when they took the car and hood to a body shop for installation and painting only then figured out their hood was damaged. TF has a policy now in place that says if you recieve and sign for your delivery, any issue or problem you find after signing is absolutely on YOU. So definitely protect yourself (I gave the delivery guy a soda and had $40 in my pocket that I was ready to hand him if he started insisting I needed to sign because he wasn't going to wait for me to inspect it).

I'd love to hear what you end up getting and see pics when you get it installed. Like I mentioned, I need to run my splitter to get it wrapped still, but its on my list of winter projects for the car. Now that I'm healthy again, I'm just waiting for a clear enough day that I can get the car moved and parked at my dads house (has a lift), so that as time allows over the remainder of the winter I can go down as time allows and get the multitude of parts and upgrades I have ready for installation completed. I'll be happy to let you know how my splitter install goes when I actually get to it if yours isn't installed by that point.

Reactions: 2112

·
Registered
2009 KR
35 Posts
Honestly, what got me more then anything was the shipping costs. Its such a weird shape and large size, I'd swear the shipping was everybit in excess of $300, so keep that in mind as well if your on a specific budget you need to adhere to.
The shipping cost is exactly what’s got me waffling…..according to Trufiber….”The LG31KR is similar to the original one that is on the GT500KR (King of the Road). The LG104KR is similar to the Super Snake.” I sure don’t want to pay those kind of shipping fees without some feeling that what I’m getting is what I really want. Will keep Ya updated and looking forward to seeing your progress. Really appreciate all your insight !

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
The shipping cost is exactly what’s got me waffling…..according to Trufiber….”The LG31KR is similar to the original one that is on the GT500KR (King of the Road). The LG104KR is similar to the Super Snake.” I sure don’t want to pay those kind of shipping fees without some feeling that what I’m getting is what I really want. Will keep Ya updated and looking forward to seeing your progress. Really appreciate all your insight !
Honestly, what helped me over the hump to decide to go ahead and purchase my splitter was seeing a TF one like I ordered on a GT500 at a car show I attended last year with WhiteRhino. Seeing one in person was a definite help, but yeah, that shipping cost does suck. I actually bought mine and my wife told me she'd throw $300 at it for me as one of my Christmas presents as long as I didn't try to install it prior to christmas. I was like 'great' and went downstairs and ordered it. By the time the transaction was complete, I walked back upstairs and told her 'thanks for paying for what amounted to the shipping costs', and even she was surprised.

If your on the fence but close enough that seeing one might help you, let me know and I'll go unwrap mine and take some pics and post them..

·
Premium Member
Ruby Red 2014
2,390 Posts
@Andretti +1

My first set of TF side splitters turned out to be the white fiberglass version instead of the CF I ordered.

thankfully I caught it immediately and they did replace them.

Reactions: Andretti

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
@Andretti +1

My first set of TF side splitters turned out to be the white fiberglass version instead of the CF I ordered.

thankfully I caught it immediately and they did replace them.
OMFG!!! Well, guess who's now headed to where I have my splitter sitting all wrapped up nice and tidy to open it! That would SUCK, so glad you caught it in time. I guess I'm going to find out pretty shortly if I'm as big of an idiot as I've proven to be at times because I'm not about to get a surprise like that when I'm delivering it to have the clear protection layer stuff applied.....update to follow

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Crisis averted!

Here's mine unwrapped. I cannot find one thing wrong with it in any way, shape or form, so it 'should' be good to go.

Facing up and facing down:

Bumper Wood Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior Auto part
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Rim Auto part

·
Registered
2009 KR
35 Posts
If your on the fence but close enough that seeing one might help you, let me know and I'll go unwrap mine and take some pics and post them..
I wasn’t going to ask you to bother, but, since you’re unwrapping anyway, a picture or two would be greatly appreciated !!

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
I wasn’t going to ask you to bother, but, since you’re unwrapping anyway, a picture or two would be greatly appreciated !!
if you'd actually like something closer, let me know. But straight up, it looks outstanding and every bit as nice as the one I saw on that car last year that got me to go ahead and pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Bryan, no that’s a good perspective for me. Thanks so much !!
Absolutely. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500
4,103 Posts
Crisis averted!

Here's mine unwrapped. I cannot find one thing wrong with it in any way, shape or form, so it 'should' be good to go.

Facing up and facing down:

View attachment 228196 View attachment 228197
That looks sharp! When the time comes to install the splitter and rockers let me know. Look forward to comparing the TF parts to the original Shelby parts from the early builds. I have a spare splitter but wouldn’t mind having a backup set of rockers.

Reactions: Andretti
21 - 36 of 36 Posts