Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stipes over the top are semi-flat. After I wash the car, they have water marks in different areas on the stripes over the top. I have been told not to wax the shelby stripes. What can I use to "shine" them up a little? I have Meguiar's Ultimate Black plastic restorer that I use on the plastic exterior parts, but I have no idea on what to put on the stripe to make it look better.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,830 Posts
Most people will advise to tape off the matte stripes when waxing. A friend that used to own a 2013 with matte black stripes got tired of working around them and ended up just waxing them. They got a little shine to them, but he didn’t have to worry about avoiding them again.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
393 Posts
If they're the matte stripes, then youve heard correct. Absolutely DO NOT WAX them. Theyre designed to absorb light and waxing them will make them reflect it. Not yelling, just stressing. Use Chemical Guys Matte Detailer. I use it on my matte stripes and its great! Another tip, don't clean them when they're hot to the touch or in direct sunlight. Also, don't ever use anything on them to clean them except microfiber or an animal fur glove. They scratch much faster than paint does and you will see the little white lines from the scratches.

Reactions: ihaterice

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
If they're the matte stripes, then youve heard correct. Absolutely DO NOT WAX them. Theyre designed to absorb light and waxing them will make them reflect it. Not yelling, just stressing. Use Chemical Guys Matte Detailer. I use it on my matte stripes and its great! Another tip, don't clean them when they're hot to the touch or in direct sunlight. Also, don't ever use anything on them to clean them except microfiber or an animal fur glove. They scratch much faster than paint does and you will see the little white lines from the scratches.
+1 for Chem Guys Matte and if you use an animal fur glove, you wanna make sure the fellar is dead first....ask me how I know...

Reactions: 65mustangman

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,733 Posts
This is the advice I followed before having the entire car, including stripes, ceramic coated. I also found Adam's Matte Detailer very useful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think Leo1074 gave the best answer for protecting your stripes because that is exactly how I handled mine and they look brand new after 13 years. 2007 GT500 Wht/Blue stripes. However, I was anal and put a clear bra over the stripes on a front protection cover system. How was I to know these stripes would outlast a wrap system!!

These GT500 stripes are not the typical vinyl. Ford installed them with no bubbles and the edges are sealed for life. I have had cars with vinyl stripes twice before and they did not last a fraction of the time these have.

Now the bad news, everyone that covered them with clear bras will lose them when it’s time to replace the clear bra. No, they won’t pull off the stripes (if your very careful and remove them before the wrap hardens or cracks). Unfortunately, however the wrap adhesion is stronger than the clear coating put on your stripes to make them last! And when removing them you will lose some of the clear coating which pulls off some color and then good-bye beautiful awesome stripes. 😕

If I were to do it again, I would make sure the wrap guard does not cross over stripes. Simple solution. The folks that did my wrap were expert and you could barely detect edges if you look closely. But the simple truth is they all have a life span.

Be nice to your stripes.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,830 Posts
I think Leo1074 gave the best answer for protecting your stripes because that is exactly how I handled mine and they look brand new after 13 years. 2007 GT500 Wht/Blue stripes. However, I was anal and put a clear bra over the stripes on a front protection cover system. How was I to know these stripes would outlast a wrap system!!

These GT500 stripes are not the typical vinyl. Ford installed them with no bubbles and the edges are sealed for life. I have had cars with vinyl stripes twice before and they did not last a fraction of the time these have.

Now the bad news, everyone that covered them with clear bras will lose them when it’s time to replace the clear bra. No, they won’t pull off the stripes (if your very careful and remove them before the wrap hardens or cracks). Unfortunately, however the wrap adhesion is stronger than the clear coating put on your stripes to make them last! And when removing them you will lose some of the clear coating which pulls off some color and then good-bye beautiful awesome stripes. 😕

If I were to do it again, I would make sure the wrap guard does not cross over stripes. Simple solution. The folks that did my wrap were expert and you could barely detect edges if you look closely. But the simple truth is they all have a life span.

Be nice to your stripes.
Good points! I’ll add that your vinyl stripes are painted vinyl. You can actually polish/wax them just as you would the paint on your car. The matte stripes are a different animal.

As for putting PPF over vinyl stripes... with my base 2020, I opted to have the shop put the vinyl up to, but not over the stripes. The results were perfect! There was zero gap between the two and they were the same thickness, so you could run your finger across and not feel a thing. If the stripes take a rock chip, you can either fill in the chip with paint or simply replace that piece of stripe.

Reactions: 03reptile

·
Registered
393 Posts
Good points! I’ll add that your vinyl stripes are painted vinyl. You can actually polish/wax them just as you would the paint on your car. The matte stripes are a different animal.

As for putting PPF over vinyl stripes... with my base 2020, I opted to have the shop put the vinyl up to, but not over the stripes. The results were perfect! There was zero gap between the two and they were the same thickness, so you could run your finger across and not feel a thing. If the stripes take a Rock chip, you can either fill in the chip with paint or simply replace that piece of stripe.
Actually, mine are not painted. They're matte vinyl. I can feel the edge of the stripes when I run my finger across it. This is why I'm not upset about the chip I found in one of the smaller pieces of vinyl on the front of the car. Itll be like a $50 fix.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,830 Posts
Actually, mine are not painted. They're matte vinyl. I can feel the edge of the stripes when I run my finger across it. This is why I'm not upset about the chip I found in one of the smaller pieces of vinyl on the front of the car. Itll be like a $50 fix.
Do you have aftermarket stripes?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I didn't put them on, I bought it that way. I also bought the car used. I was told that the DIB with the OTT matte stripes isn't a factory option and either had to be ordered that way or had to be put on later.

I can also see blue under the little nick in the vinyl on 1 of my stripes.

I've recently been tossing around the idea of switching to painted white stripes. The matte are cool, but a pain in the ass to deal with.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the information.

Scott

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I was told that the DIB with the OTT matte stripes isn't a factory option and either had to be ordered that way or had to be put on later.
You were told wrong. Matte Black Stripes were a factory option on '13 and '14 MY DIB GT500s. Here are excerpts from the '13 MY Brochure and Ordering Guide...

There were 136 DIB w/Matte Black Stripes built in '13, and another 119 in '14, for a total of 255.

·
Registered
393 Posts
You were told wrong. Matte Black Stripes were a factory option on '13 and '14 MY DIB GT500s. Here are excerpts from the '13 MY Brochure and Ordering Guide...
View attachment 207035

View attachment 207036

View attachment 207037

There were 136 DIB w/Matte Black Stripes built in '13, and another 119 in '14, for a total of 255.
Were they painted stripes or vinyl? I know mine are not painted. If this wasnt something done after the fact, then im going to leave it for the unique quality

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Were they painted stripes or vinyl? I know mine are not painted. If this wasnt something done after the fact, then im going to leave it for the unique quality
I can't say how/when your stripes were applied, but painted stripes were not offered as an OEM option on '07-'14 GT500s.

·
Registered
393 Posts
How would I check something like that?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
How would I check something like that?
I recommend getting your car's window sticker, available for purchase from Ford Show Parts. Alternatively, or in addition, you might consider getting a Marti Personalized Statistics Report. The former will confirm how your car was configured from Ford. The latter will do that and tell you how many were configured exactly like yours.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Here's my window sticker. My stipes have a little lip or edge to them. I am guessing it is a sticker.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The day I picked up the car, I took it to the body shop to have it inspected. I was told that the stripes were not original, but whoever put the stripes on the top of the car did a great job. From the window sticker, it looks like the over the top stripes were not on the SVT Mustang if I am reading the window sticker correctly.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,861 Posts
I think there's some confusion on painted/vinyl. Pre 2020, all the stripes on the GT500s were vinyl from the factory, but the vinyl itself is painted and holds up much better than a typical vinyl stripe. I'm not sure about the Matte stripes, but I would assume Ford did them the same way.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts