Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone out there has gotten/installed the Shelby manufactured shifter. Want to upgrade from stock and was considering this one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I love mine. Usually install all of my own mods but I had it put in when I had the clutch TSB done lat month. Have about 1200 miles on it with the SSP shifter (12800 on the car) and it has broken in nicely, very happy with this upgrade. Shorter, more positive shifts and it looks great.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Will the stock handle work with it?

How does the throw compare to the Steeda TriAx?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The stock shifter "ball"(or handle) will not fit the SPP "stalk"(or lever), but the stock "stalk and ball" will work with the rest of the shifter, so you have the option of stock look or not.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Does the Short Throw Shifter have the same spring loaded cetering as the Stock one?

·
Registered
39 Posts
All of the short throw shifters have a better than stock centering spring that makes missing third gear a challenge.

·
Registered
994 Posts
All of the short throw shifters have a better than stock centering spring that makes missing third gear a challenge.
Good, i just learned how to drive that centering spring, hate to have to UNlearn it, lol. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
What the &^%$ is with you noobs flipping people off? I suppose you fart in church, too, don't you?

Geez...be a little nicer when you first walk in the door.

bj
LOL, I've been tempted to use that smilie :)thefinger:) a time or two; it looks more like "Two Thumbs Up" to me! :rofl:

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Good, i just learned how to drive that centering spring, hate to have to UNlearn it, lol. Thanks!
+1
I don't know how many times I killed the engine because I missed 1st and tried to start off in 3rd and I knew about the centering! :eek:

Funny thing was, my daughter did better with it first try! :shrug03:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hey Snake Doc, I had thought that at first too, glad i didnt do it! Lisa and I are looking forward to seeing you guys in early June.

·
Registered
994 Posts
teehee, been there, done than, Lisa is really a much better driver than i am

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone out there has gotten/installed the Shelby manufactured shifter.
Got mine from American Muscle just last week.

Just installed it this past weekend. Did it on jack stands in the driveway.

It wasn't too bad. Be sure to print out the FRPP instructions, the Shelby shifter is not supplied with any at all.

With the Kooks I was able to get it done without removing the X-pipe.
Install time was 2 hours with the usual assortment of hand tools.

The shift throws are much shorter than I expected. The 1-2 shift can now be done with almost no appreciable boost loss. 3rd is also easier to engage and the best part is that 5th gear is also a much more "positive" engagement. Double clutching while shifting to 5th is no longer necessary!!

The shifts are still a bit "notchy" but that appears to be a trait characteristic of the TR6060.

I've opted to reuse the OEM handle and shifter.....for now.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
I've had both the FRPP and the Tri-Ax.

There is no comparison.

I put the FRPP in my car as a favor to a buddy at Ford for evaluation (not a prototype but the exact same one you can buy). My evaluation wasn't what he'd hoped for.

The Steeda is superior in every way. The FRPP is clunky and longer throws. It feels like something that was thrown on the car. The Steeda is slicker, truly spring loaded from 2-3 and an all around better built piece.

If I had the dough I'd ditch the FRPP unit immediately.

bj

·
Registered
246 Posts
The FRPP KR unit is barely above stock in terms of construction quality.

The Steeda is a very nice billet unit; as is the actual one from Shelby Perf. Parts (mfg. by Scott Drake). It is billet with dual torque arms and is just a little nicer than the Steeda unit. Stops are a little easier to adjust, has the 2nd torque arm and has a delrin pivot (which will be a little smoother, last longer and quieter than the pure billet metal on metal of the Steeda).

If I had to narrow it down, it still comes down to the billet Shelby or Steeda units.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I now have about 5k miles on my SPP shifter and love it more all the time. It felt great at first and got better as it wore in. Made a huge difference in the overall driving experience of this car, especially for a daily driver. I even now like the old school white SPP shifter knob that I was not sure of at first!

·
Registered
347 Posts
The FRPP KR unit is barely above stock in terms of construction quality.

The Steeda is a very nice billet unit; as is the actual one from Shelby Perf. Parts (mfg. by Scott Drake). It is billet with dual torque arms and is just a little nicer than the Steeda unit. Stops are a little easier to adjust, has the 2nd torque arm and has a delrin pivot (which will be a little smoother, last longer and quieter than the pure billet metal on metal of the Steeda).

If I had to narrow it down, it still comes down to the billet Shelby or Steeda units.
Can the stops be adjusted with shifter already installed? Looks like handle is reversible. Does it matter which way it's mounted?

Mike

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I finally had mine installed while having the TSB done. Definitely much firmer than stock and adds some wow factor to the interior. Took mine to a local body shop and had him paint vista blue stripes on, then he put 3 clearcoats over it. Really happy with the results!:) I also painted the engraved SHELBY in the shifter lever myself, don't know how well it came out in the pics though.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I finally had mine installed while having the TSB done. Definitely much firmer than stock and adds some wow factor to the interior. Took mine to a local body shop and had him paint vista blue stripes on, then he put 3 clearcoats over it. Really happy with the results!:) I also painted the engraved SHELBY in the shifter lever myself, don't know how well it came out in the pics though.
The shifter looks cool. Good job.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts