Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

Did some searches regarding the Shelby Autograph pieces...does anyone have any pics?? Do you think they compliment the car or does it look tacky?? Will it add value down the road?? This is for the one with the vin# on it...oh yeah, anywhere I can get it without the sill plates??

·
Registered
888 Posts
There are some pictures in this thread:

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1236&highlight=sill+plates

I personally like them and I want to order pretty soon. It is my understanding that you can only get them through SAI and the majority of the price is for Mr. Shelby's children's foundation, so the sill plates are probably just to sweeten the deal. I think any certified autograph of Mr. Shelby is going to increase the value of the car at least a little bit. My opinions only.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Hey guys...

Did some searches regarding the Shelby Autograph pieces...does anyone have any pics?? Do you think they compliment the car or does it look tacky?? Will it add value down the road?? This is for the one with the vin# on it...oh yeah, anywhere I can get it without the sill plates??
Here is mine. I don't feel they look tacky and may add value down the road, but who knows.

I don't know if you can get it without the sill plates but you can always sell them.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is mine. I don't feel they look tacky and may add value down the road, but who knows.

I don't know if you can get it without the sill plates but you can always sell them.

Looks good...add another item to the list!:mad:
The car already comes with SVT sill plates, correct? Did I read in a thread about some guys using clear on them to protect his sig??

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Plaque = good.

·
Registered
888 Posts
The car already comes with SVT sill plates, correct? Did I read in a thread about some guys using clear on them to protect his sig??
Yes, it is on here somewhere about protecting them, but you can mess them up if you go about it wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Yes, the car comes with SVT sill plates and the plaque comes with GT 500 plates.

Do a search like mentioned because some guys have ruined the signature on theirs.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Call them. They will let you order just the plaque without the sill plates. I did.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Yes, a clear protectant is a good idea, as the Sharpie may fade over time.

I used Krylon 1309... it's the Matte Finish UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic Coating. You need to be extremely careful when applying it because it can make the signature run. Start with several very, very light coats, waiting 10 minutes between each application. After that, you can put on heavier coats.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, a clear protectant is a good idea, as the Sharpie may fade over time.

I used Krylon 1309... it's the Matte Finish UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic Coating. You need to be extremely careful when applying it because it can make the signature run. Start with several very, very light coats, waiting 10 minutes between each application. After that, you can put on heavier coats.
How many coats in total??

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
How many coats in total??
Can't remember for sure, but I think I put on about 4 very, very light coats. then I put on another 2 heavier coats. You can't even tell there is a coating on it. Looks great.

I recommend running some tests. I found a scrap piece of aluminum and wrote on it with a sharpie. I let it dry over night, and then tested the Krylon with varying coats.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can't remember for sure, but I think I put on about 4 very, very light coats. then I put on another 2 heavier coats. You can't even tell there is a coating on it. Looks great.

I recommend running some tests. I found a scrap piece of aluminum and wrote on it with a sharpie. I let it dry over night, and then tested the Krylon with varying coats.
Wow...you're pretty anal lol!! That's how the guy is that does most of my mods....a perfectionist...takes his time, sometimes too much...but it's done flawlessly in the end.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While I'm at it...did anyone order the shelby or snake floormats from the Shelby site?? I'm assuming our cars either don't come with them or come with basic ones.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
While I'm at it...did anyone order the shelby or snake floormats from the Shelby site?? I'm assuming our cars either don't come with them or come with basic ones.
Stock mats are plain black. I got cobra floor mats from LateModelRestoration. Then I split a Shelby package with someone else...I took the trunk mat and he took the floor mats.

Edit: And yes, I'm pretty anal. It's actually more like OCD. It bugs the crap out of my wife.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stock mats are plain black. I got cobra floor mats from LateModelRestoration. Then I split a Shelby package with someone else...I took the trunk mat and he took the floor mats.

Edit: And yes, I'm pretty anal. It's actually more like OCD. It bugs the crap out of my wife.

Where did you get the Shelby package from?? OCD is not bad as long as you use it to keep the house tidy....;)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Where did you get the Shelby package from?? OCD is not bad as long as you use it to keep the house tidy....;)
SPP

OCD =
1. I always clean our hotel room before we check out.
2. In restaurants I organize the sugar packets by brand and color
3. My money in my wallet has to be arranged facing the same direction and sorted by denomination. And most times sorted by serial number too.

Yeah, I'm a freak.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SPP

OCD =
3. My money in my wallet has to be arranged facing the same direction and sorted by denomination. And most times sorted by serial number too.

Yeah, I'm a freak.
Gotcha...I'll look for the trunk mat, thanks!

Yeah...you've got issues lol!! I do the money thing, except for the serial number.
My friend is a clean freak...in every room in his house he pulls all his furniture away from the walls every 3-4 months and dusts the baseboard moldings in every room. Mine wasn't done in 8 yrs lol.........

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
SPP

OCD =

Yeah, I'm a freak.
I do 1 and 3, except for the serial number thing.

You have issues.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts