Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a subject that has been talked about before and is a sore issue with some but I believe it should be discussed.:info-smilie: I had a very good conversation today with a Master Tech of one of our suppliers.He has worked there for over 20 years.We discussed a few different things but I thought you guys would be most interested in this.This is one mans opinion(which I hold in high regard)so take it for what it is worth.I explained to him about people doing the rear gear swap at the dealership(ok Rick I was talking about your situation and how unhappy you are.:simmadown: There its out of the bag now:roller: ).I told him about how the Shelby bearing was not available and Ford Racing recommends the Mustang GT pinion bearing.This is what he told me.

The Mustang GT pinion bearing has been around for a long time and it is proven to work great with no failures that I have ever seen that wasn't bad install related.(I am already tired of typing:ack: )The Shelby pinion bearing on the other hand is a new design and not proven.I have a 2004 Cobra that I drag race and it has the same pinion bearing as the Mustang GT.It works.The GT bearing has a taller cup with no spacer(good thing)the Shelby bearing has a bigger diameter but shorter roller that uses a shorter cup but with a shim.If this was my Shelby I would keep the Mustang GT bearing in.It's up to you but it is a proven application that's why Ford Racing recommends it.Also If you want to have your gears last longer or if you drag race I highly recommend that you drain your synthetic lube and mix 50/50 synthetic lube with 85 w 140 oil.The synthetic is good for heat and MPG but oil is much better for wear and longevity of the gears.You asked and thats my take on it.

Monday or Tuesday I will post pictures of both bearings,cups and shim so you can see the difference.I am not recommending anything I am just giving you the opinion of a very knowledgeable person in this quest of best bearing.Thanks for your time.:bandit:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I guess this means that Grabber will only offer me $900,000 for my spare bearing instead of the $1,000,000 he offered before....I knew I should have jumped sooner.:flame:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Hey Fred. Thanks for the update. I really appreciate the research you have put into this. My mind is much more at ease now. :simmadown: It was good talking with you. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fred,
Any idea of what the correct part number (Timken?) is for the GT Bearing? I would like to put a few in stock.
thanks
KMB

It's posted on here somewhere.I'll see if I can find it.:bandit:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Fred,
Any idea of what the correct part number (Timken?) is for the GT Bearing? I would like to put a few in stock.
thanks
KMB
Where do you work?

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Fred works where we all would love to work, don't you know that. :zzz:

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
151 Posts
Where do you work?

BEACHSCGT500-- Im the owner of an automotive parts warehouse in NYC. We are a Timken Warehouse Distributer...Unfortunately, we are wholesale and sell strictly to fleets and NYC agencies but really dont have access to any cataloging.
Fom time to time, I ask forum members for part numbers so that I can put a few into our stock.
thanks

KMB WAREHOUSE

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fred,
thanks
KMB

Here is the # for the GT bearing.KOYO M802011(cup) and M802048(bearing).

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I have the Shelby and the Mustang GT pinion bearings and a shim kit.The Shelby bearing is kinda hokey.I will try and take some pictures tonight but I am working some long days so it might even be tomorrow.I don't have a camera with me right now.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
This is hokey too...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts