Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone on the site has any experience with the Shelby Performance shifter for the GT500. Have checked out Steeda and Ford Racing shifters but have no info from anyone on the Shelby 6 speed shifter. Any first person knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't have any info on the Shelby but I will say that the FRPP is awesome... Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I don't have first hand experience with the Shelby shifter, but I have heard nothing but good things about it with one exception; MM&FF magazine thought the handle was too short for their liking. I don't care too much for the looks of the Shelby handle and would replace it with a Ford Racing handle. I have the Ford Racing shifter and love it!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for all your input on this. I spoke with Shelby today and their shifter will not accept a different lever (like the Ford Racing lever) since the holes in theirs go left to right instead of for and aft like all the others do. That way you have to buy their lever. Some marketing guru figured that one out. The two people I spoke to that had seen the Shelby piece also commented on the short lever, so for now I think I'll go with the Ford Racing unit. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Thanks everyone for all your input on this. I spoke with Shelby today and their shifter will not accept a different lever (like the Ford Racing lever) since the holes in theirs go left to right instead of for and aft like all the others do. That way you have to buy their lever. Some marketing guru figured that one out. The two people I spoke to that had seen the Shelby piece also commented on the short lever, so for now I think I'll go with the Ford Racing unit. Thanks again.
I suspect the sales person didn't know much about their product. Their original design was what you describe. The final design has holes that line up fore-aft just like the stock shifter handle. See the picture on their website. Anyways, you'll be happy with the FR shifter.

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/ListItems/SubCategory/Performance/Shelby Shift Lever.aspx

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a Shelby unit and LOVE it! I had a steeda and if the steeda was a 100% improvement over stock the Shelby is a 50% improvement over the Steeda. Very sturdy and smooth, short precise shifts....confidence inspiring!!!

The steeda while good was a little sloppy....this one is hard as a rock doesn't move an inch.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can you use the Shelby shifter with the factory shift knob. I want the function of a short throw shifter, but i don't want to change the look of the interior, I love having the "stock" look.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Can you use the Shelby shifter with the factory shift knob. I want the function of a short throw shifter, but i don't want to change the look of the interior, I love having the "stock" look.
Don't know...give Shelby automotive a call.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts