Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the Shelby is in MotorTrend and Car and Driver. In one magazine they compare it to the new VET. From everything I have read so far the bad news about the Shelby is the 500HP is not making up for it being Heavy. The 03-04 Cobra's are running depending which magazine you read the same 1/4 and 0-60 which is sad. Since 03-04 Cobras are only 35K and were going to pay 10k to 15K more than that and can't out run one. If Ford could have put this car on a diet and got it down to 3400 or 3500 pounds it would have helped out. For those of us that want all out performance you will for sure need to put the bolt-on's to get this in front of a vet or in front of a 03-04 Cobra because the way it stands were going to get our feelings hurt when the light turns green :(

·
Registered
257 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to cast judgment. Like I said in a post on a different site...Once MM & FF gets their chance at some true testing after some time in the seat with good atmospheric conditions and proper timing equipment, the GT500 will be in the high 11's...Seems as though everyone has been driving the same five pre-production cars for their so-called tests. SVT claims to have gone 12.25 @ 117 mph and 0-60 in 4.3 seconds in their newsletter...This appears to have turned into more of a media blitz on Ford's part than a genuine road test...Just my .02 worth.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
After reading the mags it had me worked up but than I calmed down to realize the mustang was never intended to go heads up to the vet. The vet has always been way out there as far as money goes, and only being 2 seater has always been light, so taking to cars with the same HP, same gearing but one is 500 or more pounds lighter with everything else equal (driver, track etc) lighter will beat you. I know this from experience spending many weeks at the drag strip and going up against other mustangs that I had more motor, but they had gutted interior, fiberglass hood, doors, pelixglass instead of glass, they would take me at the start and I could not make it up at the end :(

So this gives me more reason to add the bolt ons and change those wimp gears to get this in the 11's :) and still have something I could drive to the beach if I wanted (It will never see the beach while I own it but the next owner can take there)

·
Registered
45 Posts
busababy said:
After reading the mags it had me worked up but than I calmed down to realize the mustang was never intended to go heads up to the vet. The vet has always been way out there as far as money goes, and only being 2 seater has always been light, so taking to cars with the same HP, same gearing but one is 500 or more pounds lighter with everything else equal (driver, track etc) lighter will beat you. I know this from experience spending many weeks at the drag strip and going up against other mustangs that I had more motor, but they had gutted interior, fiberglass hood, doors, pelixglass instead of glass, they would take me at the start and I could not make it up at the end :(

So this gives me more reason to add the bolt ons and change those wimp gears to get this in the 11's :) and still have something I could drive to the beach if I wanted (It will never see the beach while I own it but the next owner can take there)

I agree with you busababy the GT500 was not MEANT TO compete with the Vette, but I was equally disappointed with the 4.5 0-60 time in Hot Rod Magazine's test. The 03-04 Cobra's with their wheel hop probs were turning 4.6 0-60 times with 110 less HP! I am trying to remain calm as well but with all the hype this car REALLY needs to be running a 4.2, 4.1 0-60 to shut up all the pundits that will be crying "50K for what?" :(

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was afraid it was just me, my girl friend told me stop crying just be glad your going to get one, but my counter was I am spending 50K I don't want a Neon SRT4 with an air intake and exhaust to nail me when the light turns green. Or worst my buddy with his 03 Cobra which is dying for me to get mine and you know why....yes he wants a shot at whats been called the most powerful mustang ever he claims the 03-04 cobra is the one to beat. I guess we will see in the future. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
98Snake said:
I agree with you busababy the GT500 was not MEANT TO compete with the Vette, but I was equally disappointed with the 4.5 0-60 time in Hot Rod Magazine's test. The 03-04 Cobra's with their wheel hop probs were turning 4.6 0-60 times with 110 less HP! I am trying to remain calm as well but with all the hype this car REALLY needs to be running a 4.2, 4.1 0-60 to shut up all the pundits that will be crying "50K for what?" :(

Most of the info is from back in April when Ford let 5 magazines do actual tests for their June issues on the track in California.These tests were posted in the last issue of Ford Racing magazine.This data comes from the reporters that actually drove the car.
0-60 mph in 4.3 to 4.7
1/4 mile 12.2 to 12.9
trap speed 113 to117mph
Not to shabby for magazine drivers.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
busababy said:
I was afraid it was just me, my girl friend told me stop crying just be glad your going to get one, but my counter was I am spending 50K I don't want a Neon SRT4 with an air intake and exhaust to nail me when the light turns green. Or worst my buddy with his 03 Cobra which is dying for me to get mine and you know why....yes he wants a shot at whats been called the most powerful mustang ever he claims the 03-04 cobra is the one to beat. I guess we will see in the future. :eek:
Not to change the subject, (but I am going to anyways) those SRT4's are incredible. I had no idea about them till I saw them at the drags the other night 12's baby 12's with not much done to them. I will be very sad when I roll up to one and he takes me in my 500 hp car. So I guess I will do everything I can to get this in the 11's. I honestly don't think it will take too much. I took a second off my 5.0 for under $800...

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
F4X,

We will need to keep in touch because the same day I drive home I will be ripping the internet up looking for go fast goodies, in fact I have already started asking different compaines about Air intakes, I have worked over Steeda and another company that does the C&L intake (very nice intake) Called flowmaster to get there info on the exhaust part. Nothing out yet but claims they will have a part number ASAP. If the exhaust locations are the same as the 05 Mustang they have a part number for that but I don't know that info maybe 07 Shelby does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts