Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
As you know, been lurking and testing rides, my final two choices are Shelby GT500 vs Z06... just got my 2010 Vette Z06 pricing, $73K (yep, BIG discount).

For $50K, I can get a 2010 GT500 exactly as I want WITH a backseat.

MAIN QUESTION- RELIABILITY. Z06s are strong- any issues on the GT500?

I LOVE the Performance White with stripe delete. And $23K cheaper, lovin' it even more. My 03 GT was awesome... if the daily reliability is there on this beast, done deal!!

BTW...

I will NOT be tracking this car.

Thx for any input, :pimp:
Russ

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure why you would want a NEW Z06 when you get the SAME thing in 2006 thru 2008 for almost 30,000 LESS!!! You can even find Z06 Garage Queens with less than 2k miles for that much cheaper. Then mod the Z06 with the MONEY you save. The 20k you just saved will easily build a monster Z06.

Or if you want the back seat buy the new GT500 since they are not the same as the older GT500's in looks.

Both can be used as a daily driver. I've used Z's as a daily driver before as well as my current GT500 and older TERM Cobras. Even in Winter.

Also remember the 2003 thru 2006 Vipers will run you around 50k as well. I'd take a 2006 Viper Coupe ANY DAY over the Z06. Z06's don't have the LOOK APPEAL as a VIPER. Many low mileage Viper GARAGE QUEENS for sale.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure why you would want a NEW Z06 when you get the SAME thing in 2006 thru 2008 for almost 30,000 LESS!!! You can even find Z06 Garage Queens with less than 2k miles for that much cheaper. Then mod the Z06 with the MONEY you save. The 20k you just saved will easily build a monster Z06.

Or if you want the back seat buy the new GT500 since they are not the same as the older GT500's in looks.

Both can be used as a daily driver. I've used Z's as a daily driver before as well as my current GT500 and older TERM Cobras. Even in Winter.

Also remember the 2003 thru 2006 Vipers will run you around 50k as well. I'd take a 2006 Viper Coupe ANY DAY over the Z06. Z06's don't have the LOOK APPEAL as a VIPER. Many low mileage Viper GARAGE QUEENS for sale.

Good info, thx!!... and Arctic White for the Z06 is only available in 2010 for the first time unless you have a Ron Fellows Z... good stuff on Vipers too, but I'm a Mustang/Vette fan!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
What he said. At low to mid 40's for a Garage Queen Z06, unless you just flat out want a GT500, the Z is the Steal of our Lifetime.....Period.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What he said. At low to mid 40's for a Garage Queen Z06, unless you just flat out want a GT500, the Z is the Steal of our Lifetime.....Period.
Agree with both...

I'm looking for DD reliability on the GT500...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I had a chance this past spring to buy a 2006 Z06 with 9,071 miles on it from a local dealership. 46K. Had it in my driveway at one point.

The problem is that at this point, even with the low miles on the car, the warranty is gone and I was looking for a daily driver. I passed on it. It sat in the dealer's lot for a month before it sold. Sometimes I wonder if I made the right decision, but it's too late now.

Besides, I'm digging my GT500. :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
The Z is a great car, but frankly it is just not practical. Not that you need to haul groceries in it or such, but I have 2 young boys and will want to take them both with me sometimes. In the Vette, you need to choose one son or the other. Funniest thing I ever saw, first nice day in Spring a nice vette pulls up to Starbucks with a guy driving, and his wife and daughter pull up behind in a minivan and get out. In those cases a 2-seater becomes a 1-seater.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
The 500 is my daily, and I love my drive to work everyday. I'm at almost 20k with no issues at all. I was driving next to a Z today, and everyone was looking at my car. Everyone can tell a GT500 is special. Most people don't realize what a Z is, they just think it's another vette. So if you want the sex appeal, definitely the 500.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 500 is my daily, and I love my drive to work everyday. I'm at almost 20k with no issues at all. I was driving next to a Z today, and everyone was looking at my car. Everyone can tell a GT500 is special. Most people don't realize what a Z is, they just think it's another vette. So if you want the sex appeal, definitely the 500.
THAT'S what I was looking for... thx MUCH for the input!!!!!:rocker:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Agree with both...

I'm looking for DD reliability on the GT500...
I live in FL and have a GT500 which is my DD since July 07. Its my only car, and I work 5 days a week

It is as reliable as they come. no fear here.

the traction control sucks... and you'll be into some new tires soon. THere is also the issue of the TSB if you get an older GT500, mine went through with flying colors (What does that even mean?)

Best part is reading these messages and deciding where you want to do the next mod.

I urge you to check out You Tube and look at Griggs GR40TT vids... This is where the fun is...

TD

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live in FL and have a GT500 which is my DD since July 07. Its my only car, and I work 5 days a week

It is as reliable as they come. no fear here.

the traction control sucks... and you'll be into some new tires soon. THere is also the issue of the TSB if you get an older GT500, mine went through with flying colors (What does that even mean?)

Best part is reading these messages and deciding where you want to do the next mod.

I urge you to check out You Tube and look at Griggs GR40TT vids... This is where the fun is...

TD
Cool info, thx!!! I say I won't mod right away... also said that about my GT... :cheers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm selling my 08 Black modded Z06 w/13k miles this week. Loved the car, the look and the performance. Did the milled heads, QM550 cam, Kook headers, Haltech Killer Bee CAI, PFADT coilvers, 160* T stat, ported TB/intake, ECM tune and more. Literally got this car where I always wanted my Vette to run and look like. But...over time it was really wearing me out how I had to tippy toe over everything. The Vettes ride low to begin with. But to set the car just right they really need to be lowered another 1"-1 1/2" to make them look sweet. In doing so the cars got to be gingerly manuevered around everything. Driveways, deviations in most roads surfaces in North Texas. Heck everywhere. Also getting in and getting out in your garage..man that can be tough sometimes too. Unless you been in and out of these cars over a period of time you just don't have anyway of knowing.

Again, love the Corvette, especially my Z06..The car looks and handles like no other, power in your face and nothing sexier to me. But...the truth of the matter is.. I'm breaking up with her. Sorry.

I want a GT500 Cobra in white, no stripes, HID's and the "easy in and easy out" entry. With it's solid, take it to the streets and handle it.

GT 500 Shelby Cobra's the way I see it...They're a beast too. Can't wait. Gonna call Grand Prairie tomorrow and talk to Mikey. See what's in the pipeline.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm selling my 08 Black modded Z06 w/13k miles this week. Loved the car, the look and the performance. Did the milled heads, QM550 cam, Kook headers, Haltech Killer Bee CAI, PFADT coilvers, 160* T stat, ported TB/intake, ECM tune and more. Literally got this car where I always wanted my Vette to run and look like. But...over time it was really wearing me out how I had to tippy toe over everything. The Vettes ride low to begin with. But to set the car just right they really need to be lowered another 1"-1 1/2" to make them look sweet. In doing so the cars got to be gingerly manuevered around everything. Driveways, deviations in most roads surfaces in North Texas. Heck everywhere. Also getting in and getting out in your garage..man that can be tough sometimes too. Unless you been in and out of these cars over a period of time you just don't have anyway of knowing.

Again, love the Corvette, especially my Z06..The car looks and handles like no other, power in your face and nothing sexier to me. But...the truth of the matter is.. I'm breaking up with her. Sorry.

I want a GT500 Cobra in white, no stripes, HID's and the "easy in and easy out" entry. With it's solid, take it to the streets and handle it.

GT 500 Shelby Cobra's the way I see it...They're a beast too. Can't wait. Gonna call Grand Prairie tomorrow and talk to Mikey. See what's in the pipeline.
Yep, I was already noticing how low it sat when getting in and out on test drives... I'm happy with my decision too... and I'm glad the reliability is there...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts