Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to installing the shelby competition heat exchanger, Ran into a couple issues as stock mounting location for pump 2011 is smack dead center of grill opening when finished all you see is the pump , so I opted to relocate the pump to drivers side used a piece of angle aluminum,
contemplated eliminating the spal fans per dept of boost science but eventually decided to keep them since I paid alot extra for them.

one thing i am thinking of doing is placing a switch in cab to be able to turn them off , since they would hinder airflow above a certain speed I am guessing they will run continuously all the time?

Found the best tool for any cooling system job
by far the easiest method tests the system for leaks prior to filling and fills in seconds with no airlocks guaranteed, there are youtube vids on it in action so simple yet so effective, i had airlock when i first filled the system and had to pull hoses and still had aeration,
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Hood

Vehicle Car Hood Vehicle registration plate Grille

pump visible how disgusting
Car Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

relocated pump
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Grille

now , im leaning towards painting the heat exchanger black and stencil in silver, but kinda like it this way too

now if i can just get my bmr watts link , 2 months of waiting

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue Gt500
1,423 Posts
Finally got around to installing the shelby competition heat exchanger, Ran into a couple issues as stock mounting location for pump 2011 is smack dead center of grill opening when finished all you see is the pump , so I opted to relocate the pump to drivers side used a piece of angle aluminum,
contemplated eliminating the spal fans per dept of boost science but eventually decided to keep them since I paid alot extra for them.

one thing i am thinking of doing is placing a switch in cab to be able to turn them off , since they would hinder airflow above a certain speed I am guessing they will run continuously all the time?

by far the easiest method tests the system for leaks prior to filling and fills in seconds with no airlocks guaranteed, there are youtube vids on it in action so simple yet so effective, i had airlock when i first filled the system and had to pull hoses and still had aeration,
View attachment 225266
View attachment 225267
View attachment 225268
relocated pump
View attachment 225269

now , im leaning towards painting the heat exchanger black and stencil in silver, but kinda like it this way too

I did the cutoff switch for my fans for the same reason as you. Made it a lighted switch so I can quickly see if the fans are on or not. Mounted the switch next to my water meth enable switch right at the bottom of the steering column. Out of sight, but it is lit so you can see if is on or not.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
37,090 Posts

View attachment 225266
View attachment 225267
View attachment 225268
relocated pump
View attachment 225269

Nice mod! Thanks for sharing! 🍻

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the cutoff switch for my fans for the same reason as you. Made it a lighted switch so I can quickly see if the fans are on or not. Mounted the switch next to my water meth enable switch right at the bottom of the steering column. Out of sight, but it is lit so you can see if is on or not.
can you share a pic of location you chose? im leary of drilling holes but it has to look decent and if not hidden

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice mod! Thanks for sharing! 🍻
let me say i had to try different angles and reorient pump from my original plan a couple times due to clearance of bumper cover, pulling that pump out of the rubber holder and putting it back twice is all my fingers and hands could take. :LOL: glad it is done

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue Gt500
1,423 Posts
can you share a pic of location you chose? im leary of drilling holes but it has to look decent and if not hidden
I
I can do that, I am presently recovering from surgery and have to uncover the car to take a pic. When I am able can get a pic. May have one already and will look tonite of my inside pics to see if I have one alreay.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
37,090 Posts
I
I can do that, I am presently recovering from surgery and have to uncover the car to take a pic. When I am able can get a pic. May have one already and will look tonite of my inside pics to see if I have one alreay.
Are you doing alright Chuck?

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue Gt500
1,423 Posts
Are you doing alright Chuck?
Best I can. I have a large internal infection that our local medical system has miss treated for two months now. Had surgery Thursday to drain the infection. Have a hole in my ass now with a drain to try and start to fix this. Pissed off about how doctors do not listen anymore and just test for stupid crap that had nothing to do with what is wrong with you and ignore what you are telling them. If I did not force them to put me on antibiotics, I prob be dead now!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
37,090 Posts
Best I can. I have a large internal infection that our local medical system has miss treated for two months now. Had surgery Thursday to drain the infection. Have a hole in my ass now with a drain to try and start to fix this. Pissed off about how doctors do not listen anymore and just test for stupid crap that had nothing to do with what is wrong with you and ignore what you are telling them. If I did not force them to put me on antibiotics, I prob be dead now!
Well shit! Hopefully you are on the mends now Chuck. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue Gt500
1,423 Posts

View attachment 225266
View attachment 225267
View attachment 225268
relocated pump
View attachment 225269

Here are my PICs of the fan switch location. Sisde shot if you look to the left of the door speaker below the steering column you will see a small silver spot. That is the switch. Front of the steering wheel the switches are right between the bottom spokes on the bottom of the column, the plastic part at the bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are my PICs of the fan switch location. Sisde shot if you look to the left of the door speaker below the steering column you will see a small silver spot. That is the switch. Front of the steering wheel the switches are right between the bottom spokes on the bottom of the column, the plastic part at the bottom.
ok cool , that looks like a good spot, going to place one on mine i think, fans running continuously especially while driving over 30mph seems like a hinderance but beneficial in stop and go traffic

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue Gt500
1,423 Posts
ok cool , that looks like a good spot, going to place one on mine i think, fans running continuously especially while driving over 30mph seems like a hinderance but beneficial in stop and go traffic

I switch the fan relay coil with the switch. That keeps the wire size you run to the switch small. Larger wire from the relay to the fans and fuse box.

·
Registered
2008 GT500 Convertible
181 Posts
Another thought is to wire the switch so you can run the fans and pump at will (car on or off) and use yet another relay that is switched by power to the main cooling fans to power on or off your HE fans. This way, when the car cuts power to your cooling fans >30mph, so does the power to the HE fans.

·
Registered
2008 725 Super Snake
4,521 Posts
Wow, hopefully you will be on the mend soon. Sounds like you have been through a lot in the past few months!!

R

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue Gt500
1,423 Posts
Wow, hopefully you will be on the mend soon. Sounds like you have been through a lot in the past few months!!

R

It has been tough! Still at work till the last two weeks fighting through this crap. Felt like crap and in constant pain. It was hard to get doctors to focus on what was actually wrong. They kept saying it was cancer and kept taking me off antibiotics which let it get out of control. When I was on antibiotics fever and pain went away. Took me off it came back, but they still had the cancer focus. This went on for two months and waiting for proceedures. Took a tissue samples finally and almost two weeks to test and then said, hey it using cancer! I said no shit! By this time it is all a mess. Now I have a drain in my butt trying to get this thing under under control.

·
Registered
2008 725 Super Snake
4,521 Posts
It has been tough! Still at work till the last two weeks fighting through this crap. Felt like crap and in constant pain. It was hard to get doctors to focus on what was actually wrong. They kept saying it was cancer and kept taking me off antibiotics which let it get out of control. When I was on antibiotics fever and pain went away. Took me off it came back, but they still had the cancer focus. This went on for two months and waiting for proceedures. Took a tissue samples finally and almost two weeks to test and then said, hey it using cancer! I said no shit! By this time it is all a mess. Now I have a drain in my butt trying to get this thing under under control.
Well I hope that they continue in a positive direction to get you back to 100%.

R

1 - 19 of 19 Posts