Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Need advice from fellow members with knowledge. I'm considering purchasing a 2007 or 2008 Cobra GT500 for $52k or so. Does anyone have a solid sense for what the value of these cars will be 5, 10 or 20 years from now if they are kept in top condition? Does Ford plan to continue the production of the Shelby GT500's for 2009 and beyond?? I would imagine that if Ford stops offering the Shelby GT500's the current models will appreciate in value, not depreciate.

Any educated opinions out there? Anyone with insights on Ford's plans with the Shelby in the years ahead? I just want to know if the GT500's will gain or lose value.

Please point me to a different thread if this has already been discussed. Thank you for your assistance.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Hi. Need advice from fellow members with knowledge. I'm considering purchasing a 2007 or 2008 Cobra GT500 for $52k or so. Does anyone have a solid sense for what the value of these cars will be 5, 10 or 20 years from now if they are kept in top condition? Does Ford plan to continue the production of the Shelby GT500's for 2009 and beyond?? I would imagine that if Ford stops offering the Shelby GT500's the current models will appreciate in value, not depreciate.

Any educated opinions out there? Anyone with insights on Ford's plans with the Shelby in the years ahead? I just want to know if the GT500's will gain or lose value.

Please point me to a different thread if this has already been discussed. Thank you for your assistance.

Jeff
Jeff,

This topic has been discussed in more ways than one. Do a search and you will find the discussions. In my opionion buy the car, drive it , mod it and enjoy it. If you are looking for a return on investment, look elsewhere. With 30,000 potential units to be produced and a good number turning into garage queens, who know what the future holds. Just my opinion. By the way, welcome to the board Jeff.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Jeff,

This topic has been discussed in more ways than one. Do a search and you will find the discussions. In my opionion buy the car, drive it , mod it and enjoy it. If you are looking for a return on investment, look elsewhere. With 30,000 potential units to be produced and a good number turning into garage queens, who know what the future holds. Just my opinion. By the way, welcome to the board Jeff.
What he said:D :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Jeff,

If you are looking for a return on investment, look elsewhere. With 30,000 potential units to be produced and a good number turning into garage queens, who know what the future holds.
Joe is right on and I 3rd that notion. The future is iffy sometimes and like Joe said, you just never know. Case in point, I have had several Buick Grand Nationals over my days, which then were relatively low $ cars in 86 and 87. Now, a low mile Grand National is bringing in over $30K if it is in great shape. The return on investment for those cars now is about 150% as in 1987 they only made 20,193 and GNX production was 547. Even the GNXs were relatively low $ cars and now pulling in around $80K to $90K and some over $100K for a low-miler.

I really believe the GT500 will bring in the money but you are going to have to wait a longgggggggggggggggggggg time to see your ROI.

flip

·
Registered
1,464 Posts

Jeff
Jeff,

If you are looking for an investment, you'd be better off putting the $52K in the bank earning interest. If you want a kick a$$ automobile, buy the Shelby.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate all the advice - please keep it coming.
My intention is to drive the car, but probably not a lot. I own 2 Harleys that get a lot of my attention. My intention here is to buy an awesome car, put a few thousand miles on it each year and keep it in immaculate shape. My preference is to see the value of the car hold steady or increase, versus watching it plummet as the years go by due to over-production, etc.

Did I read correctly above that Ford plans to make about 30,000 of the GT500's or is that unkown at this time.

Thanks to all. Great forum!!

Jeff

·
Registered
444 Posts
My intention is to drive the car, but probably not a lot. I own 2 Harleys that get a lot of my attention. My intention here is to buy an awesome car, put a few thousand miles on it each year and keep it in immaculate shape. My preference is to see the value of the car hold steady or increase, versus watching it plummet as the years go by due to over-production, etc.

Did I read correctly above that Ford plans to make about 30,000 of the GT500's or is that unkown at this time.

Jeff
ford said about 8,000 to 10,000 a year for 3 years! they made 10,844 in 2007

you can't bank on a car as an imvestment but you never know. There are a lot of people sitting on them now, so I believe the value will not be as strong.
In 30 years if I have my choice of aoubt 100 different gt500's that have been stored and kept in tip-top shape over the years then the price of the car is going to be cheaper than if I only had a choice of 3-10 car to choose from.

Now a days every gear head out there has seen Barrett/Jackson auto auction and seen the money that these car will bring if they are rare or a limited production. So most are sitting on them thinking they can do the same. How ever A lot of owner probably will not be around in 30-40 years with the car if the car does bring a great return.

I am 31 so I might be around in that time frame but I just can't see sitting on a car and not enjoying it and trying to bank on that as a retirement. If I don't have my money straight by the time that I am 60-70 yrs old then I done something wrong in my life.

Just my opinion

JJ

word of advise! Buy one modify it and enjoy the hell out of it.....cause we all are.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts

Jeff

30,000 for the 1st 3 years:cool:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
1st 3 years? Are you saying there might be a 2nd 3 years?
Nothing is for sure but if they keep selling they will keep making them into the next body style:cool:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Nothing is for sure but if they keep selling they will keep making them into the next body style:cool:
Will that be with or without the Shelby name? I was under the impression that Shelby signed a two year contract with a possible extension for a third, which will be exercised. I guess only time will tell and money will be the deciding factor.

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts

Jeff

Jeff,

Welcome to the forum. Short version: do not pay over MSRP for this car. You have already missed that boat. Those of us that paid a little (or a lot) over did so for the sole reason of being "first on the block" and it was worth it. It's not now.

Secondly, if you want a car as an investment you can't drive it. Even if you don't there are a lot of people that think these are like Kuggarands. They aren't. There are a ton of them, so as for collector value? Not likely.

Go for a really long road trip and look in barns. When you find a pristine '70 'Cuda (hemi or 440-6 pack), offer to put the farmer's kid through college and trailer it home. THAT, my friend, is an investment.

Enjoy your GT500. Enjoy it more knowing you paid the right amount.

bj

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ooooops, I missed saying welcome to the board. Anyway, again Welcome and Have Fun!

VNMOUS1 said it eloquently and he is right.

flip

·
Registered
7 Posts
... Does Ford plan to continue the production of the Shelby GT500's for 2009 and beyond?
There will be other models which will make the the GT500 seem to be a thing of the past, similar to the present predicament of the '03 - '04 Cobras. One of the most important factors in basing your decision will be whether the GT500 is what you want in a car or not future value.

·
Registered
164 Posts
cc3078,

Welcome to the board.

My response to your question. NOBODY knows. Speculation has No value in the auto industry. I remember when Chrysler could not give away a Super Bird. When guys with Big Blocks were social outcast. (after the fact) The market changes. I remember when Honda was not much bigger in size than a riding mower. Many young people today love the name plate.

You will be way ahead if you do what you want to do with this car. Personal braggin rights will be of value forever.
JMOP.

ILLEGAL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You guys have been great with all the advice.

Any personal opinions to share on the Shelby GT (the mini, not the GT500)? My local Ford shop still has a new, black 2007 one for sale. I was going to throw them an offer below MSRP.
Any thoughts on the Shelby GT???

·
Registered
444 Posts

Any personal opinions to share on the Shelby GT (the mini, not the GT500)? My local Ford shop still has a new, black 2007 one for sale. I was going to throw them an offer below MSRP.
My thought's:

They look good, but are slow!

JJ

·
Registered
7 Posts
... Any thoughts on the Shelby GT???
Not bad if you consider paying over $10K for $3K worth of mods a bargain. Added are a Carroll Shelby special fake and usually warped hood scoop with patented fake rivets, a poor fit front grille on top of the OEM grille, and a shifter which will drive the most sane up the wall.

·
Registered
147 Posts

Hmmmmm, the nicest thing that I can say about it is, "The 5.4L GT500 motor will fit nicely under the hood." Just need to find the time to do the swap.

Honestly though, it's O.K.

flip

·
Premium Member
356 Posts

Jeff
Welcome, and CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy HER, don't worry about the future. That future is now. Have fun, unless you can just park HER, and forget HER!!! I didn't think so. 11K and enjoying:D :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts