Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we have a whole new group of people putting out the big bucks for 2007 shelbys. Are you pro or con to people who will make 2007 gts into shelbys? :) :mad:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
In general, I'm not a big fan of clones. I think it takes away some of the mystique of the original. On the other hand, it's a free country...as long as the clone isn't being passed off as the real thing.

I do have a question pertaining to trademarks. The Shelby name is trademarked, so isn't it a violation of that trademark to slap Shelby lettering on the back of a GT? :confused:

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Each to his own...I have seen in one of my mags where someone did the saleen kit to a GT and it looked great. The only thing I hate is most will do the apperance stuff, like some guy that lives around me has a green GT with skirts, hood, window louvers, etc. etc. with GT500 stripe kit going along the door. Stock exhaust no performance mods and people think it is a GT500..so when the WRX or a Neon SRT4 gets beside him he won't be leaving a good impression on them that is for sure... and since they don't know it is a fake unless they are a true ford fan it makes all our cars seem dog slow. And that part I hate it kinda insults the real GT500 owners. Now the Saleen I mention I saw in the magazine he had all kind of stuff done to it and he was running in the 10's so even thou it was not a TRUE Saleen you would have a hard time telling it from the outside and you sure couldn't catch to find out :)

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
In general, I'm not a big fan of clones. I think it takes away some of the mystique of the original. On the other hand, it's a free country...as long as the clone isn't being passed off as the real thing.

I do have a question pertaining to trademarks. The Shelby name is trademarked, so isn't it a violation of that trademark to slap Shelby lettering on the back of a GT? :confused:

Here here I don't want a clone but if you do more power to you!I have the real thing and still feel violated!......................07........................

·
Registered
135 Posts
have always felt like people who made 67 shelby clones where trying to pass it off as a real shelby american car. they can have the look of a shelby but it should stop at that and not make it a real clone by putting shelby tags on it

·
Registered
171 Posts
I agree, we all took a long time and went thru a lot to get ours. Then to have a dealer try to make more money off of the GT500 I think really sucks.
busababy, I agree with you. There is no doubt people will confuse the clones for the real thing and they will affect the image, but just think when one of those guys pulls up next to you, thinking you are like the guy with the clone. There is no way he will try it again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Does a blonde wig and fake boobs make you Marilyn Monroe ? I don't think so.

And we don't even have to talk about the power plant.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have always felt like people who made 67 shelby clones where trying to pass it off as a real shelby american car. they can have the look of a shelby but it should stop at that and not make it a real clone by putting shelby tags on it
I have lost to clone shelbys in car shows. The thought they have is "they did not ask if it was real and I did not tell." It will happen with the 2007 shelby, just be ready.

·
Registered
64 Posts
making a GT into a Shelby is just plain funny, to spend all that just to make it look like a Shelby, what about the interior ? Gotta get a whole body kit, etc etc

If some guy comes up next to me with a Shelby clone, I'll laugh at him and tell him it sucks that he has 200 less hp then me, then ill take off and leave him in a cloud of smoke.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
making a GT into a Shelby is just plain funny, to spend all that just to make it look like a Shelby, what about the interior ? Gotta get a whole body kit, etc etc

If some guy comes up next to me with a Shelby clone, I'll laugh at him and tell him it sucks that he has 200 less hp then me, then ill take off and leave him in a cloud of smoke.
Better think twice before trying that. I know a guy in Arizona that has the clone body package, with a KB twin screw under the hood and 535 rwhp...he would leave YOU in the dust. Even a Mustang GT can be modified to outrun a GT500.

Dave

·
Registered
171 Posts
After I spend $400 bucks for a tune, Then $250 for a cold air kit ,I should have well over 500 at the wheels and I know how to drive my real Shelby, so I don't think he would and I still have a real Shelby!

·
Registered
888 Posts
I don't like the idea of clones very much, but to each his own. The idea that someone passes it off as the real thing in a car show bothers me most. That should not happen. We had a guy come to ours with a GT modded up as a G.T. 350 with some of the Shelby stuff and Eleanor fog lights. It was a great looking car, but he was totally up front with the fact that it was not a Shelby! He cleaned up in the Mustang GT class! If there is any doubt the car show registration folks just have to look for the T88 or T89 in the VIN, right?

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I don't like the idea of clones very much, but to each his own. The idea that someone passes it off as the real thing in a car show bothers me most. That should not happen. We had a guy come to ours with a GT modded up as a G.T. 350 with some of the Shelby stuff and Eleanor fog lights. It was a great looking car, but he was totally up front with the fact that it was not a Shelby! He cleaned up in the Mustang GT class! If there is any doubt the car show registration folks just have to look for the T88 or T89 in the VIN, right?

Yes, you are correct Sir!

·
Registered
135 Posts

Ive been to car shows with older shelbys and have seen some clones showing in the original catagories and confronted one guy about his clone. When i asked him why he was there he just said.... "if no one asks I dont tell them." Its very naive to think that the guys with "clones" wont try to pass them as real. It happens all the time and people have bought them thinking they are real. Again people that want to just look like a Shelby I dont mind but when you are cloning, which is different, its different. Shelbygot2 has had the same experience at shows with these clones.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How many times have you been to a car show that was judged? No one looks at the vin and if they did, unless it is a MCA judged show, they would never know. Numbers can be changed and they have. Clones are cars that are made to pass off as the real thing, thats why they do it. We are not talking about cars with a few changes. Read the rules before you go and show Old Boy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree when a guy is up front with his clone. I have a couple of 68 shelbys and the first thing out of some peoples mouth is "Is it a clone". Thats because so many mustangs have been cloned. They still only made so many of the real Shelbys and if your buying an older one you need to look futher than a vin. The SAAC is very helpful in identifing the history of our cars. Fast forward 30 years and the same thing will be happening to the 07 Shelby

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree when a guy is up front with his clone. I have a couple of 68 shelbys and the first thing out of some peoples mouth is "Is it a clone". Thats because so many mustangs have been cloned. They still only made so many of the real Shelbys and if your buying an older one you need to look futher than a vin. The SAAC is very helpful in identifing the history of our cars. Fast forward 30 years and the same thing will be happening to the 07 Shelby
I agree, as you can see in the above post it has already started. I had to put YES IT'S REAl on my sign at car shows because of clones. We will again have the same thing going on soon with the 2007s. Clones have their place at car shows, and it"s not in the group of real shelbys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts