Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who want a Cool Looking/Unique 8.8 differential cover for your Shelby, the Shelby 8.8 girdle/cover in now in the Shelby Perf. Parts Store Outlet.

If you compare prices on these girdle/covers for the 8.8 Mustang, this is a Great deal and it is SHELBY engraved!!

^^^^This cover will require a panhard bar relocation, just like the FRPP G1 girdle/cover.

Below with panhard relocation bracket shown.......

It is a Very Cool looking piece!!

Just thought I would mention it because we were discussing diff. covers over on SVT Perf. and at $130, these Shelby girdles will probably be gone fairly soon.

R

·
Premium Member
7,179 Posts
I like it. If the panhard needs to be relocated, I bet it would interfere with my watts link. It's tight just with the finned factory cover. @Robert M, if you have one of these sitting on a shelf would you take a measurement from the mounting surface to the top of the stud?

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I like it. If the panhard needs to be relocated, I bet it would interfere with my watts link. It's tight just with the finned factory cover. @Robert M, if you have one of these sitting on a shelf would you take a measurement from the mounting surface to the top of the stud?
It def. will not fit with watts link, there is a mention of that in the Shelby description........

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Requires a panhard relocation bracket.

Will not fit with Shelby or Fays2 Watts link or Mustangs equipped with Track Packs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The one I have is installed on my cars 8.8 as shown in the picture above.

The CS girdle below would possibly be the Shelby logo'ed girdle to use with a Fays2 Watts Link? It is short like the FRPP G2, maybe even a little shorter......

^^^This CS cover was in the SPP Outlet a few years ago, for just over $100. I know Scott Drake sells them with the SD logo at the lower right, but I have not seen another one with the CS logo.

The only height comparison that I have showing the cover above and the cover that I originally posted about is in the picture below......

^^^^^and next to the short CS girdle is a GT500KR cover for height comparison, those two look to be about the same height and are probably very similar in height to the SVTPP finned cover.

R

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
Robert,

Did this fit with your original setup from SAI? I think our cars have the exact same suspension setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Robert,

Did this fit with your original setup from SAI? I think our cars have the exact same suspension setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, the original Eibach Pro Street-S coil overs and the Blue Granatelli panhard bar. The only difference on my car now, that is not shown in the underside view is that I have installed BMR LCA relocation brackets and removed the harmonic weights, but that did not affect the fit of the cover or panhard bar and relocation bracket.

Since Shelby installed the Granatelli panhard bar on the earlier Super Snakes, that is why I used the Granatelli relocation bracket.........I'm sure Carroll Shelby and Andy Granatelli had been friends for decades, so I figured I'd - "Keep it all in the family"............:giggle:

R

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
After I made my comments above, I figured I better research the Granatelli/Shelby connection further to verify my assumption, here is a little bit of internet info. related to Granatelli and Shelby............

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word has it that in early 1965 Andy Granatelli approached Shelby with the idea of fitting a Paxton blower into a GT350 (which he may have already done to his own), to increase its performance. Slightly insulted and yet intrigued with the idea, Shelby loaned him a GT350 for the install.

By the summer of ‘65 Andy or brother Joe, returned to Shelby American’s HQ at LAX airport with a proper-supercharged GT350 Mustang ready for demonstration. According to legend, Shelby jumped into a naturally breathing, 2200-lb 289-cid V8 Cobra-and it was on- as the tale goes, the snake got kicked by the pony, Shelby was thrilled and he ordered-up a bunch of Paxton blowers.

Shelby wasted little time in building a couple prototypes, originally to be named the GT350 S for obvious force-induced reasons, but then, as he often did, he changed his mind and decided against it. Instead, the Paxton blower package could be special ordered and factory installed on a GT350 upon a customer’s request and for an extra $670.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Shelby using select Granatelli parts on the earlier Super Snakes and other Shelby builds is no surprise.............."Keeping it in the family".

R

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks for posting Robert. Just ordered one--Great Price! These are made by T/A Performance. Same supplier used by Ford Racing and the older SVO version as well. You can also order studs for the main caps for a little more strength from Summit.

Tom

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for posting Robert. Just ordered one--Great Price! These are made by T/A Performance. Same supplier used by Ford Racing and the older SVO version as well. You can also order studs for the main caps for a little more strength from Summit.

Tom
You're welcome Tom.

I bought a modified Explorer cover from Tob, we were discussing the Shelby modified Explorer/Moutaineer covers that were installed on the GT500KR, do you know if any of the earlier KR's got the big drain cover?

For those who are unfamiliar, the two side-by-side, an original GT500KR (modified Explorer/Mountaineer) cover on the left and the "big drain" modified Explorer/Mountaineer cover on the right........

Me personally, in some ways for it structural rigidity I like the big drain Explorer cover better than the SVTPP......

^^^^^I also want to give credit to Tob, he did the Excellent work on the big drain Explorer cover and modified it for use on a non-Explorer/Mountaineer 8.8.

I guess my question about the installation of this big drain cover on a production KR should also be asked on the Team Shelby GT500KR forum......

R

·
Registered
483 Posts

Tom
I received the cover. Nice piece. I want to correct the part is sourced from Moser, not T/A Performance. However, it looks just like the SVO cover which was made by T/A. I am wondering if they sold to Moser?

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts