Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my air-conditioning filter today on the Shelby and figured I'd make a thread about it since I wasn't too sure how to do it until I dug into it.

I have a battery cover, so I had to remove that first. With that, the two plastic pins that hold the plastic cowl down were removed. You can see the corner of the filter hiding behind the firewall:

Close-up shot of the filter in place:

I lifted up the cowl (it is split and the passenger side is the short piece. Once the cowl was lifted (removal not needed) I was able to reach in and pull out the filter:

The filter sits in a frame (housing). Make sure to take notice which way this comes out so you place the new filter in the correct way (it has an airflow arrow).

Lift up cowl and push new filter into place. It will "click in."

This shot shows the split cowl:

Exhibit "A" your honor!

Push cowl back into place and reinsert 2 pins. Time to breathe "easy," the project is complete.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
A definite DIY job that will save you big $ over a dealer fee. I doubt mine was ever changed before I did it. I can breath much easier now!!

I would recommend getting the top grade hypo allergenic model.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
I changed my air-conditioning filter today on the Shelby and figured I'd make a thread about it since I wasn't too sure how to do it until I dug into it.

I have a battery cover, so I had to remove that first. With that, the two plastic pins that hold the plastic cowl down were removed. You can see the corner of the filter hiding behind the firewall:

Close-up shot of the filter in place:

I lifted up the cowl (it is split and the passenger side is the short piece. Once the cowl was lifted (removal not needed) I was able to reach in and pull out the filter:

The filter sits in a frame (housing). Make sure to take notice which way this comes out so you place the new filter in the correct way (it has an airflow arrow).

Lift up cowl and push new filter into place. It will "click in."

This shot shows the split cowl:

Exhibit "A" your honor!

Push cowl back into place and reinsert 2 pins. Time to breathe "easy," the project is complete.
Your Filter would probably be OK if you didn't spread all that PIXIE Dust around at Car Shows!

:wink:

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your Filter would probably be OK if you didn't spread all that PIXIE Dust around at Car Shows!

:wink:
That's funny Mike!:rofl:

·
Registered
2013 GT500 and 2020 GT500
3,540 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
To gauge how often to change it, is that your original filter?

Thanks Snoopy, I appreciate your .pdf's, I drag and drop them into a folder for future refrence.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To gauge how often to change it, is that your original filter?

Thanks Snoopy, I appreciate your .pdf's, I drag and drop them into a folder for future refrence.
Yes. I have around 28,000 miles and the car rarely gets dusty.

·
Premium Member
6,543 Posts
Do I see hair on your hand?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I need to do this. Been putting it off. Where'd you get the filter? Ford? Autozone?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
630 Posts

·
Registered
2013 GT500 and 2020 GT500
3,540 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Thanks Goose and Snoopy. I've never seen air filters under the hood, always inside the cabin behind the glovebox.

I replace the ones on our two main vehicles every 5k miles. They're very dirty by that point.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Great DIY. I would have been looking under the passenger dash and then probably just assumed it didn't have one if I didn't find it there. I would have made a post asking, lol. First time I have ever seen one under hood.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts