Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a fellow member in the 'know' please explain the difference between the standard Shaker 500 stereo and the optional Shaker 1000? According to the ordering guide, they are both 6 CD systems...with the 500 having 8 speakers and the 1000 having 10...The guide states the 1000 is in the dash. Where is the changer for the 500?? Is this option identical to the standard Mustang? Thanks...

ShelbyWise:confused:

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have the Shaker 500 in my '05 GT. It is in the dash and except for the nomenclature on it, it looks just like the Shaker 1000. The 500 is supposed to have 480 watts total output and the 1000 is rated at 1000 watts as far as I have been able to see. The biggest difference is the two big woofers mounted in the trunk on the passenger side. They take up the area behind the wheel well all the way to the back of the trunk. Knocks out two or three cubic feet of space I would imagine. I rode in a GT that had the Shaker 1000, and it was impressive! Lots of bass! Lots of bass!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oldimp...Thanks for your input. I think I can live w/o the 1000. I'm sure the volume on the 500 will be down most of the time anyhow...I'm thinkin' those 475+ ponies will provide enough sweet music...

ShelbyWise

·
Registered
888 Posts
I agree totally! My Shaker 500 really blasts when playing CDs. Our radio signals make me have to go to about half volume with the windows down. I asked my dealer when I ordered the Shelby whether it would be beneficial for me in the long run to get the 1000 and he told me "no".

·
Registered
888 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention that the news is out this morning that it is officially 500 HP!

·
Registered
986 Posts
I agree totally! My Shaker 500 really blasts when playing CDs. Our radio signals make me have to go to about half volume with the windows down. I asked my dealer when I ordered the Shelby whether it would be beneficial for me in the long run to get the 1000 and he told me "no".
Old post but your dealer was spot on. The shaker 1000 is WAY overrated IMO. The Shaker 500 sounds just fine. I have the 1000 and I'm taking the woofers out of the trunk to have more room and cut down on extra weight. If I had it to do over again, I would not get the 1000. It's my ONLY regret. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
I didn't want the 1000 either but I got a really good deal on the car so I took it. I just unpluged the subwoofer box and removed it along with the metal bracket and amplifier. I weighed everything after I removed it and it came to 28lbs.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I didn't want the 1000 either but I got a really good deal on the car so I took it. I just unpluged the subwoofer box and removed it along with the metal bracket and amplifier. I weighed everything after I removed it and it came to 28lbs.
Me too regarding a "good deal." I removed everything as well this weekend. Sounds just fine without it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you need more sound out of the 500, go with a small amp or upgraded speakers vs the 1000. Only with so-so recordings do I need more sound out of my 500, it's pretty rare for myself, and I don't have the best hearing (open headers, scuba diving, too many plane rides, fireworks, guns, power drills etc)

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
When I ordered my 08 I stayed with the shaker 500. Worked out well, I used the two threaded mounting holes in the trunk to install an aluminum plate for mounting my battery relocation aluminum box.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts