Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had my GT500 long. I've read a number of posts about the Shaker 1000 not sounding that great. I also thought it sounded crappy at first myself. I am a little bit of an audiophile. I'm by no means an audio expert. But, I think I have a good idea what it should sound like. I have a room with three very clean old Mistubishi DA amps controlled by a Bel Canto pre amp running 6 Bowers & Wilkins loudspeakers for comparison.

At first I couldn't figure out the shaker 1000. It sounded like crap whatever I did. Then I tried this and it seemed to make all the difference. I think it sounds pretty good now. Or, maybe I have just gotten used to it. I need to go listen to my B&Ws and compare now.

But, if you have the shaker 1000 you might try this:

Shaker set to OFF
Set "Driver, All, Rear" setting to REAR
turn compression off (burned CDs)
Set bass at -1, flat or +1 (personal preference)
Set Treble at flat, +1 or +2 (personal preference)

The key seemed to be setting it to REAR and turning SHAKER OFF. I don't know how the stupid internal controls on the stereo work. I would much rather have manual control over the whole thing. But, this seems to get the job done.

Anyone else have luck setting up the Shaker 1000 differently??

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think the system sounds just fine. I have the shaker on and bass and treble at 2. For a stock system I have no complaints. In fact I just plain love the car zero complaints.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Another new GT500 owner here, and was wondering about just how to set that Shaker 1000 system! Have fiddled with it a bit, and while it no doubt has some volume for sure, it just didn't seem to sound quite right. So thanks for those settings you posted - I'll try those and go from there.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I also thought it sounded crappy at first myself. I am a little bit of an audiophile.
The Shaker 1000 is of decent quality and sufficient amperage. I think the problem lies with speaker location and imaging.

It sounds better with the rear speakers biased because those speakers are positioned better than the front speakers. If our cars had the A-pillar speakers like the old Mach 460 sound system I think we'd be raving about the sound system.

But as it stands the mids and highs get played at knee level instead of ear level. I wonder if the speakers could be aimed up toward the middle of the cabin?

Perhaps there is another mod on the horizon......

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'll definitely try the settings posted by bford1.

I change up the bass/treb differently depending on whether I'm tuned to Sirius or to a CD.

Overall even though the 1000 is far from home-audiophile-system quality, I think it's still a kicking system for a car in this price segment....recently impressed to hear how good the shaker 1000 sounded playing a Peter Gabriel disc I dug out of storage- even though the disc is 20 yrs old.

I usually bias the speakers about three-quarters to the rear anyway but for a different reason, mostly because I can't seem to get rid of a buzzing/door panel vibration from the driver's door area somewhere near the armrest and forward. (If anyone has an easy fix for this door panel vibration please post....my passenger door does not exhibit the same annoying buzz).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think the Shaker 1000 is crap, I HATE saying this but the 8 driver + sub that came in my '08 F450 sounds MUCH better. Oh well, I know how to fix it, probably won't though.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Here what I did for my settings. I left it "setting" (sic) in someone else's trunk. The last thing I needed was more expense, more weight, no significant improvement in sound and no room for my golf clubs.

But hey, it looks good on you.

BJ

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,956 Posts
I'll be taking my 1000 subs out and dropping a 12" in the useless wheel well (I would never use that fix a flat crap they were so nice to give us). That'll leave room for the golf clubs I shouldn't have too.

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I saw in a reply that my original setting suggestion might not have been clear. I am not saying to bias the fader toward then rear. I leave the fader (front-rear) settings in the middle. There is another setting that seems to make all the difference. I forget what it is called but it is for the passenger bias or passenger seating or something like that. The options are "ALL", "DRIVER", "REAR" and it is putting that setting on "REAR" plus turning "SHAKER" to "OFF" which really, really seems to improve the sound. To me it sounded like crap on every other setting.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Here's what I did:

1. remove Shaker 1000 system
2. install better system

BTW- its sitting in my attic in case anyone is interested in an "upgrade"

I did like the speed sensitive sound and the 6 disc in-dash changer with CD-R and MP3 playback. SQ was awful. Anyone who claims otherwise is not necessarily a poor audio critic, but may not like the same type of music as me. For music I listen to, the Shaker system was not to my liking I tell you what though, listening to a properly mastered CD versus a variety of MP3s and poorly recorded/mastered CDs, I must say that the source material is half the problem. Crappy recordings sound bad no matter what.

My 2 cents - Hybrid audio makes a great set of speakers that fit to stock locations. Alpine W505 has a great full-double-din setup with touch screen control, that has options for Bluetooth and Nav control. Kenwood has a similar setup with included (not optional) Bluetooth and Nav. In my opinion, both beat the pants off the stock setup. I went alpine and I am still tuning the system which is a problem onto itself, but will eventually be completed.

TD

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,956 Posts
I will be going the alpine route as well TD, but in the mean time stuck with the shaker. Performance first, sound later. Thanks for the settings bford, that does make a world of difference in the 1000. I just took it as a factory stereo and it is what it is, but those settings wake it up a lot. Thanks again.

-Tom

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I will be going the alpine route as well TD, but in the mean time stuck with the shaker. Performance first, sound later. Thanks for the settings bford, that does make a world of difference in the 1000. I just took it as a factory stereo and it is what it is, but those settings wake it up a lot. Thanks again.

-Tom
I hear you. When you are ready, there is an excellent forum that discusses the Alpine unit I have over at www.diymobileaudio.com

Another option I seriously considered was the Excelon 8120 I think is the correct model, maybe not, made by Kenwood. Less fine tuning, but probably less finicky as well. Good install is critical however no matter what you choose.

As far as the Shaker on/off, am not sure why the big difference in sound, though I never recall it sounded great on any setting, mine is now in the attic, so I cannot experiment.

I think the 500 and 1000 differ only by the subwoofer and "power" output. Maybe with the subwoofer /shaker off, the amplifier power is shared by the other speakers? I am not sure about that, as I never found a crossover network when I took mine out. Maybe it changes the frequencies played by the in-door woofers to include more bass frequencies that are handled by the subwoofer when its turned on. Again I don't know.

Anyone looking to further experiment, if you have the right equipment, you could set it up. TrueRTA. Its a software application that lets you do real time spectrum analysis on a computer. You need to add a microphone, and a way to connect to your PC. M-Audio Mobile Pre and Mic-Mate (or MicMate Plus) allow a connection via USB, and Behringer ECM8000 I think is the mic I have, is a high quality omni-directional mic. I also use a mic stand with boom to position the mic. Anyway, this might like you try and sort of dissect out what the Shaker on/off does to the output spectrum..

TD

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,956 Posts
It's not so much the shaker on off setting that is the difference, it's setting the sound field to rear. It makes sense in a poorly engineered way, because the driver seat is almost in the back seat (I'm tall...), so that is where you want the sound field.

I know what you mean about the Alpine. I had the IVA-D901 in my F-250, and it took forever to get it right, but it was a great unit. I would be interested to know more about the Hybrid Audio stuff...price, where to by, is it a kit they make for the mustang or just components that fit, stuff like that. I looked around online a little, and did not see much about sellers, and their website isn't too informative.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
It's not so much the shaker on off setting that is the difference, it's setting the sound field to rear. It makes sense in a poorly engineered way, because the driver seat is almost in the back seat (I'm tall...), so that is where you want the sound field.

I know what you mean about the Alpine. I had the IVA-D901 in my F-250, and it took forever to get it right, but it was a great unit. I would be interested to know more about the Hybrid Audio stuff...price, where to by, is it a kit they make for the mustang or just components that fit, stuff like that. I looked around online a little, and did not see much about sellers, and their website isn't too informative.

Funny you should mention Hybrid Audio. I have their L1-Pro, L-4, and L-8 Legatia speakers. Fit like a charm, though some fabrication/modification will be required for the Tweeters depending on where you want them. I did mine in the little square plastic part where the side-view mirror adjust is located which I had relocated to the driver's door, near the window controls. Wish the angle was better, but oh-well. Still trying to tune which is a whole 'nother topic, but so far sounding great. I've had LENGTHY email discussions with the founder/president of the company who is also a car-nut. Scott Buwalda I beleive is his name. Very knowledgable. There are also others with S197 mustangs over on that DIYmobile.com website forum. One guy has a Shelby GT and has won some awards/competitions for his audio setup and he has I think the same setup as mine as far as speakers. He even helped with some initial tuning (using a H701 processor). Anyway, getting off topic here. PM me if you any more info on the Hybrid audio stuff.

TD

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2 cents.

First off, for every post that even mentions an aftermarket system, yeah...its extremely likely that your system sounds better than the Shaker 1000. Improved performance would be the only logical reason to purchase an aftermarket anything. Nuff said.

Second, for the Shaker 1000 specifically (which I think was the original intent of this post), I personally think the system is by far one of the best factory systems I have heard. Better than the Mach 460 (02 GT), better than the Mach 1000 (03 Mach1), better than whatever was in my 07 GT/CS also. As mentioned once already, alot of it has to do with your source audio, and how well it was recorded. Also, different types of music call for different settings, etc. Play with it, find your happy spot, and rock out. I certainly change settings when I go from deep sounding R&B from today's hits over to some 70's Skynyrd...

The Shaker 1000 is nothing to laugh at..my wife's Tahoe has a BOSE 12 speaker system that has nothing on the Shaker. I have heard better factory systems yes, but I guarantee the majority of American or import factory stereos fall well below the benchmark set by the Shaker 1000. I have always had aftermarket systems in my vehicles. My wife is happy that I have finally told her that I see no reason to upgrade this one...sounds great.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Shaker 1000 is not bad at all. The worst part about it is lack of adjustability. That is why I started this post in the first place. The quality of the speakers and power supplied is pretty good. The speakers are not real bright so if that is your preference then they won't sound that good. But, comparing them to the 14 speaker Mark Levinson system in my wife's Lexus the Shaker 1000 holds it's own.

The Shaker Off setting doesn't do much but does help. The biggest help is setting the sound field to rear then adjusting the bass down (or to taste).

B. Ford

1 - 20 of 42 Posts