Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I consider spraying Sea Foam in the throttle body of a running supercharger at idle to clean the internal lobes? Potential damage?

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
I've never seen any build up on the rotors, if that's what you're referring to. The intake system on these cars don't really have runners that go to the cylinder heads. Anything you "spray" in the plenum is likely to be pooled on the bottom of the lower intake manifold.

·
Moderator Dude!
28,248 Posts
I've never seen any build up on the rotors, if that's what you're referring to. The intake system on these cars don't really have runners that go to the cylinder heads. Anything you "spray" in the plenum is likely to be pooled on the bottom of the lower intake manifold.
Do you think this would still be the case if you had someone rev up the engine and hold 2000-3000 rpms while you sprayed? If it worked, it would be an easy way to clean the intercooler.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Do you think this would still be the case if you had someone rev up the engine and hold 2000-3000 rpms while you sprayed? If it worked, it would be an easy way to clean the intercooler.
I would think any thing you would spray in there (keep in mind it IS a liquid) would end up down in the bottom of the finned exchanger, gunking it up just as oil does from the crankcase vent w/o a oil separator. Ever see a dirty one opened up, I have, it isn't pretty ! I've had the blower off of mine more than a few times, if fact just this past May at SF. Mine has had a separator on both side since 1526 miles and still yet has some staining on the fins. Not what I would call dirty but you can see a little discoloration, it seems a bit foolish for any reason to spray any 'liquid' in there. As said, I've pulled blowers off and on mine probably five times and found little to nothing on the blower.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Tim, I think you'd probably have better results removing the supercharger and spraying some sort of carb cleaner into the intercooler and suck out whatever is collecting in the bottom of the manifold through the scavenging port on the bottom of the manifold. I'm assuming the hose wouldn't be damaged by whatever chemical you were using. Remember not all of what is going into the intake when you're not under boost is going through the intercooler. I don't think it's a good idea. I really think removing the intake and soaking the intercooler would be the best method of cleaning it out. I just know that whatever falls out of the intercooler is going to collect on the bottom of the intake manifold and at risk of getting sucked out under boost.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
What @Catmonkey is saying is what I was getting at. IF, the car is currently LOW mileage chances are pretty good there is little to nothing to have to clean-up in it. I would agree to NOT spray anything in it. But get an Oil Separator on the Passenger side.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Are you considering spraying that in while the motor is running? I would be afraid of detonation or damage to the motor. No way I would spray anything into one of these running motors.

Tom

·
Moderator Dude!
28,248 Posts
Are you considering spraying that in while the motor is running? I would be afraid of detonation or damage to the motor. No way I would spray anything into one of these running motors.

Tom
I wouldn’t think spraying it in while running with the engine not under load/near red line would do any harm. Just look at how your A/F ratio changes when WOT versus low rpms.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Perhaps if it had conventional runners like a n/a engine, but this manifold is not well suited to do anything but have the liquid collect at the bottom on the lower intake manifold. Perhaps later to get sucked in at WOT in greater quantities when you'd want. If you want to use it, put it in the gas, but I'd be real hesitant to go WOT.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Should I consider spraying Sea Foam in the throttle body of a running supercharger at idle to clean the internal lobes? Potential damage?
No dont do it on a s/c car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts