Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
that's not a bad whistler, 'cept why don't you just bolt that to a stock GT, save 10 grand on the car, and pay cheaper insurance. Mr Shelby is fine with the GT500 setup, the choice was based on availability, and you gotta go with what you can get...I expect a higher volume available than they may have you think.

·
Registered
81 Posts
NemesisTG said:
I may not have my GT500 yet but as soon as I get it I'm seriously thinking about getting a Whipple twin screw supercharger installed. This is what Mr. Shelby intended to be on the car. This is where the 500 comes into play!

Check out their site.
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1223
You got me sold brother!!.....I wonder how much power we can get,...with having this baby on!:D :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
VenomSnake said:
You got me sold brother!!.....I wonder how much power we can get,...with having this baby on!:D :cool:
Whipple lost their franchise to sell Lysohlm twin-screws. They are apparently selling their own, though

·
Registered
2 Posts
VenomSnake said:
Whipple lost their franchise to sell Lysohlm twin-screws. They are apparently selling their own, though

·
Registered
81 Posts
fzust said:
Well it that case, its off to Lysohlm then,...as I heard that those are the ones that are on the Ford GT supercar anyways,...very cool,...and thanks for the update.;) :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wonder how long it take for a turbo or twinturbo set-up?
:D

·
Registered
888 Posts
Is a screw-type supercharger something that might be offered by Ford as an accessory at some point? Installing an aftermarket supercharger would surely void the factory warranty, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to SVT, it won't be offered. And I'd assume the warranty would be voided by the upgraded supercharger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Deleted.

·
Registered
221 Posts
VenomSnake said:
Well it that case, its off to Lysohlm then,...as I heard that those are the ones that are on the Ford GT supercar anyways,...very cool,...and thanks for the update.;) :D
... Whipple's technology is second to none. Lysohlm is a Sweedish company that created the innovative screw shape (like a rootes that twisted further -- rootes only twists 60 degrees) and licenses their technology. There i sno way that Whilpple could produce a screw like the Lysolhm without being licensed, so something doesn;t compute for me. Nevertheless, I will go with the Whipple -- their products are so well tested.
;)

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I believe Ford Racing is going to offer a Whipple in one of their packages.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I am really interested in that particular package! I wonder how much it will cost including Ford install. Any guess?

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I am not sure.They offered 3 different packages for the Mustang GT.Go to Ford racing and see if it is offered yet, it will be soon.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The whipple goes for about $9G so I'd think there would not be too much diff in proce regardless of who offered it. The 3.3L 200AX (I beleive) would be killer on the GT500, but I will certainly wait to see what totally engineered packages are available. For example, a 3.3 whipple will want tube headers and bigger diameter pipes, flowmasters and possibly larger throttle body to fully take advantage. But then you're in the dilemma of tuning it for aobut 650HP ot up to about 800HP. Problem is the bottom end of the 5.4 with cracked-powder H-beams is about 650HP and you've already spent over 10G. And if you want to go further, you'll need to mod the bottom end. For about well under $2G you put pulley-kit and big-tube catback on, reflash the Oak and have the same 650HP for a small fraction of the cost.

So if I wanted to make this beastie into a 800+HP monster, the Whipple 3.3 is def the way to go, but up to 650HP it makes no sense to me, cool as it is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was about to buy a terminator right before I heard about the GT500...but my plans were to put the wipple and crowler cams in it (with a few other mods too), but needless to say, I choose not to pick the terminator up....

I will be waiting to see what everyone does for trial and error before I choose to upgrade the supercharger.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts