Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I already feel sick about having to start this thread, so please be nice.

Here's the story: Shelby and I went to a car show this past weekend. The show was way out in the sticks, 40 miles east of Colorado. For those who don't know, the land east of Denver looks a lot like Kansas except without the farmland...i.e. desolate high desert. Well, we got caught in a wind storm on the way home. There were 50 mph winds blowing perpendicular to the freeway. Really no way to avoid it. The wind picked up all the loose tumbleweed and blew it across the freeway, and unfortunately, into Shelby. You'd be amazed how much damage a little tumbleweed can do. I have to replace the front valance and there are numerous scratches in the drivers side and roof. :( Luckily, most of the scratches seem to be superficial. As you can imagine, the first lady is none too pleased with me right now, and Shelby isn't talking to me.

So, can y'all give me some advice as to the best products and processes for rubbing out scratches in paint?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
OK, so I already feel sick about having to start this thread, so please be nice.

Here's the story: Shelby and I went to a car show this past weekend. The show was way out in the sticks, 40 miles east of Colorado. For those who don't know, the land east of Denver looks a lot like Kansas except without the farmland...i.e. desolate high desert. Well, we got caught in a wind storm on the way home. There were 50 mph winds blowing perpendicular to the freeway. Really no way to avoid it. The wind picked up all the loose tumbleweed and blew it across the freeway, and unfortunately, into Shelby. You'd be amazed how much damage a little tumbleweed can do. I have to replace the front valance and there are numerous scratches in the drivers side and roof. :( Luckily, most of the scratches seem to be superficial. As you can imagine, the first lady is none too pleased with me right now, and Shelby isn't talking to me.

So, can y'all give me some advice as to the best products and processes for rubbing out scratches in paint?
Prez sorry to hear of your tumbleweed dilema. I do not have any answers to your problem but I am sure sny8k can be of assistance. As for the future, let the first lady lead the way and you just ride shot gun, her reaction time may be more accute.:D :D I can just hear it now. Didn't you see it coming?:p

·
Registered
938 Posts

Hey Prez,
Sorry to hear that a tumbleweed got the best of you I myself have never ran into any of them no pun intended.

As far as fixing the scratches it depends on the depth of them to what you should use to fix them. Now if you have the equipment (tools) buffer, pads ect. oh and experience then it shouldn't be a problem. If you have to buy these items then it could cost as much or probably more to get these itmes then it would to pay to have a professional do it for you. I know this is not what you probably want to hear.:cool:

If the scratches are not that bad then then you can try using a
Hand Glaze 3M 5990 or 5995.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input, guys.

Luckily, most of the scratches are very fine surface scratches. There is one on the front and one on the roof that are pretty nasty. It looks like it's just the clearcoat, but they're pretty bad.

I had some very mild polishing compound sitting in a drawer, and I tried it on the really light scratches. Seemed to work pretty well. It's just the 2 nasty one's I'm worried about. A trip to a body man might be in order.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
301 Posts
Prez, Does this give us the opportunity to change your Forum name ?

Tumbleweed, Sounds good. Does it not ?
Hope you get your scratches out!!

ILLEGAL

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Prez, Does this give us the opportunity to change your Forum name ?

Tumbleweed, Sounds good. Does it not ?
Hope you get your scratches out!!

ILLEGAL
Ole Tumbleweed. I like it!:)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
TumblePrez?

Better than PrezWeed.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Sorry to hear about your "BRUSH" with disaster. Really all joking aside:( :( . I'd be really upset too. Baby shouldn't be harmed like that. Hey, didn't you try to out manuver the tumbles. (couldn't resist) Maybe wrong color.....

I'm definitely with the PRO advice. Minor is one thing, but if significant scratches, I'd be afraid of messing Her up even more. "Pay me now, Pay me later" and all that stuff.

Good luck, and let Mrs Prez know, "you can't mess with mother nature" or stop her.!!!!!!

Tumbleweed, hmmmmmm, has a distinct possibility... :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here's the reason why Tumbleweed sucks! :mad: One little tumbling weed hit at 95 mph can do a lot of damage. I tried maneuvering around it, but at that speed, I didn't want to end up in a ditch. BTW, I don't usually drive that fast; I was just trying to get off that stretch of freeway ASAP.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And here is why a little polishing compound and Zaino Scratch & Swirl Remover Rock! No more scratchy! :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
And here is why a little polishing compound and Zaino Scratch & Swirl Remover Rock! No more scratchy! :D :D :D

Cool Prez.Nice job.Prez I was asked by Plumb Bob(Oldimp) why I didn't tell you how to fix the nicks.But as it was mentioned before,by the time you buy the hardware,polishing compound(I use 3M)alcohol(not because you got tumble weeded,that would be isopropyl),micro fine polishing paper,spot paint and wiping towels you are better off taking it to someone.I am sorry about your misfortune though.:(I hope you got pardoned by the 1st lady

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
What Color combo is your car supposed to be? Looks a little unusual - Blue/gold?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's Vista Blue / Tungsten. This pictures are showing the driver's side of the front fascia with the black plastic air splitter at the bottom. The lighting is a bit off, so the colors look strange.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
D'OH!

But alloy is the slowest color. I didn't want that. :D
All I know is that my color combo - Alloy with Tungsten stripe 'vert - is rare. Only 24 made, and Tungsten isn't an available stripe option anymore.

Once the clutch/tranny issues are fully resolved by Ford, I'd like to invite you to a friendly little race to put this debate to an end. I already beat a Red coupe with the Evo stage 2 setup with my mostly stock Alloy 'vert. Granted, he had some traction issues, but maybe you'd like to try to stand up for the Vista Blue crowd.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts