Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Soo, i know i will figure this out when my new shelby arrives (🥰🥰) but i was just curious.. with the traction control, does it operate where ya push the button and it shuts off TC, and/or hold for a few sec to shut off everything?
It’s a 1-way toggle switch at the base of the center stack. I’ve only turned off TC a couple times. I turn it off every time with my 2011, unless it’s slippery outside. The grid is from the 2020 Mustang owner’s manual. The driving modes in the GT500 affect TC & SC.

DDD47002-6CED-4203-86A7-78E067E1E9E9.jpeg
CC0D2A78-B46C-445F-A7DD-6C54008BC07E.jpeg

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
I wasn't at the site of the crash, but I was part of the "group" yesterday AM.

A friend of mine with a nice collection of 1979-present Mustangs (roughly a dozen) hosted an informal Cars and Coffee at his toy bunker. Josh drove his GT500CFTP, Mark Houlihan (long-time Mustang magazine scribe/editor) drove up, it was a nice crowd, maybe 20 cars showed.

Of course, I had to be the anti-establishment guy, I drove my 1967 Corvette. ;)

Anyhow, at 11AM, we all loaded-up to caravan to a Coney Island spot in downtown Brooksville. I scooted out with four other Mustangs ahead of me. The rest of the caravan slowly made its way out as traffic would permit. It was a country 2-lane road with plenty of 25mph-signed tight curves.

And that's what got Josh... I don't believe he was into the go-pedal, I think he took a curve too hot, dipped a tire or two off the pavement, over-corrected, and whiplashed across the road, into the grass, and into that pole. I got a phone call from my buddy Gary, "Josh just wrecked his car", but I was already almost to the destination, and there was no purpose for me to circle back and add another car to the chaos on the side of the road.

For those of you unfamiliar with Josh Klugger, he's no stranger to big horsepower. Quite the opposite in fact. He's a former NMCA Radial Wars champion, and has built/raced some of the absolutely-most-insane Mustang door-slammers that the world has ever seen. Arguably one of the fastest Mustang dudes on the planet. Ironically, just before we left, he was talking about possibly getting back into racing. Is This The Most Expensive Doorslammer Ever Built?

He just had a lapse of judgment, plain and simple. Cold morning, cold tires, cold road, and one of the guys who pulled-up on the scene said that as soon as he pulled off the road and hit that grass, he said it was like hitting ice, his car slid for at least another 50 feet, and he was taking it easy, just pulling to the side.

The thing that really shook us all up, was Josh had his son with him. I'm not sure his age, I'd guess 8-ish?? Luckily, his son walked away just a bit bruised-up. Josh suffered a severe shoulder separation.

Terrible thing to happen, but very fortunate that it didn't go worse.

·
Registered
2011 GT500
396 Posts

A friend of mine with a nice collection of 1979-present Mustangs (roughly a dozen) hosted an informal Cars and Coffee at his toy bunker. Josh drove his GT500CFTP, Mark Houlihan (long-time Mustang magazine scribe/editor) drove up, it was a nice crowd, maybe 20 cars showed.

Anyhow, at 11AM, we all loaded-up to caravan to a Coney Island spot in downtown Brooksville. I scooted out with four other Mustangs ahead of me. The rest of the caravan slowly made its way out as traffic would permit. It was a country 2-lane road with plenty of 25mph-signed tight curves.

And that's what got Josh... I don't believe he was into the go-pedal, I think he took a curve too hot, dipped a tire or two off the pavement, over-corrected, and whiplashed across the road, into the grass, and into that pole. I got a phone call from my buddy Gary, "Josh just wrecked his car", but I was already almost to the destination, and there was no purpose for me to circle back and add another car to the chaos on the side of the road.

For those of you unfamiliar with Josh Klugger, he's no stranger to big horsepower. Quite the opposite in fact. He's a former NMCA Radial Wars champion, and has built/raced some of the absolutely-most-insane Mustang door-slammers that the world has ever seen. Arguably one of the fastest Mustang dudes on the planet. Ironically, just before we left, he was talking about possibly getting back into racing. Is This The Most Expensive Doorslammer Ever Built?

He just had a lapse of judgment, plain and simple. Cold morning, cold tires, cold road, and one of the guys who pulled-up on the scene said that as soon as he pulled off the road and hit that grass, he said it was like hitting ice, his car slid for at least another 50 feet, and he was taking it easy, just pulling to the side.

The thing that really shook us all up, was Josh had his son with him. I'm not sure his age, I'd guess 8-ish?? Luckily, his son walked away just a bit bruised-up. Josh suffered a severe shoulder separation.

Thanks for the back story. Can't believe there's a Coney Island. I looked for one high and low for years down there. I'm in Coney Island heaven in the Detroit area.

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
Thanks for the back story. Can't believe there's a Coney Island. I looked for one high and low for years down there. I'm in Coney Island heaven in the Detroit area.
It's been a Brooksville landmark since 1960!

Reactions: Jus Cruisin

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,957 Posts
Same here. I have my first track day scheduled next weekend (weather permitting). My wife thinks I am out of my mind tracking a $100 grand Mustang. If anything happens to it, it will be a major “I told you so moment!” Talk to the 🤚 I say! 🤟
+1 on the track insurance Tim. My buddy put his 911 GT3 into the wall at Sebring, it only takes a millisecond.

As for the cold tires, Florida cold days are the perfect time to take the car out. The bugs seem to go hide and the afternoon almost always warms up to a perfect temperature. I decided to take my '08 out a few years back on Pilot Super Sports. It was in the 30s, but I thought I'd be ok as the car was stored in a 70+ degree garage. Man was I wrong...lol. I went to make the left out of the neighborhood, nice and easy, and around I went in the blink of an eye. Luckily on coming traffic had a red light, but I didn't need any coffee for the rest of the drive.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

Thanks for sharing the info boss!

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
I better not mention driving on 28 year old tires early in the morning to a winter car show then. 😬:censored::cool:
Yeah .... but you're used to flyin' off the ground ... multi-year experience !!

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Rapid Red Base model
98 Posts
Ouch.

SC2s are track tires with just enough streetability to satisfy regulatory requirements. They really have no business being used beyond to and from the track.

They quickly become equally dangerous in the wet with so much patch and nowhere for water to go other than to lift the tire off the road. Even in moderate conditions, they need to warm up before becoming as sure-footed as most summer tires.

Especially after spending so much on the vehicle itself, not investing in a second set of wheels with a quality performance tire, especially with PS4S available in OE fitment, or swapping out and remounting the SCs just for track days always seemed short-sighted to me.

Especially with exotic wheels like the carbons and Ford leaning so heavily on tires to achieve their handling objectives, Ford would do owners (and itself) a great service by at least offering an optional performance street tire or a second wheel and tire set altogether.

I almost killed myself driving home my very first GT500 from the dealer on those miserable Goodyear F1G2s with a mere 550hp on a cool autumn day that turn Goodyears into hockey pucks and superchargers live for. By God’s grace, I never actually had to learn the hard way and didn’t need to be told twice.
At a dealer in Atlanta, temperature 45 degrees. A 2011 GT500 new in the showroom, markdown $7500, I am there for an oil change in my Raptor, I immediately trade my wife's 2006 Mustang for it. Before closing, I wanted to drive it. Coming out of the dealer's driveway, 2 lane road, I shift to second and slightly press the gas. Well, things went sideways real quick, my wife screamed and the salesman lost his voice. I was lucky as no one was coming from the other direction. Well, the F1s were replaced ASAP.

·
Registered
328 Posts
This was done on summer tires about 6 years ago... I MIGHT have been going 40 mph since I had just turned from a stop sign onto the road. Hit a patch of ice I guess and slid right off the road into a very large rock and several trees. Doesn't take much speed to do serious damage. Fortunately nothing was broken on me aside from some lasting tendon damage on my right hand.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
This was done on summer tires about 6 years ago... I MIGHT have been going 40 mph since I had just turned from a stop sign onto the road. Hit a patch of ice I guess and slid right off the road into a very large rock and several trees. Doesn't take much speed to do serious damage. Fortunately nothing was broken on me aside from some lasting tendon damage on my right hand.

View attachment 209894
View attachment 209895 View attachment 209896
WOWZA! That was a serious hit! Glad you survived.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yeah man it was my first accident actually. I guess when I do things I really DO them.

I wish it was a better story, but around 40mph and a big rock and some trees.

I only remember the beginning of it. Lots of noise and then waking up when I heard someone say, "I think the car is on fire!"

Something in my brain latched onto that and made me wake up long enough to pull the lever on the driver door. The entire door split so they couldn't open it from the outside.

Turned out it was just smoke from the airbag.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Glad the driver is ok. But, I wonder how many drivers actually know what the GT500 will do. Many are garage queens. The first time I drove this car, I was not sure it really had 760 hp. I’ve tried to learn mine and started off slowly. Now with over 7,000 miles I feel fairly comfortable. The winter has been mild here in KY so far. It was 40 degrees when I took it out today, on 4S tires. With my GT350, I ran snow tires as soon as possible. The car was well behaved today in track mode. But I respect the power enough to know that if it will get away in hot weather, I definitely can’t push it when it’s cooler.

·
Registered
2011 GT500
396 Posts
Glad the driver is ok. But, I wonder how many drivers actually know what the GT500 will do. Many are garage queens. The first time I drove this car, I was not sure it really had 760 hp. I’ve tried to learn mine and started off slowly. Now with over 7,000 miles I feel fairly comfortable. The winter has been mild here in KY so far. It was 40 degrees when I took it out today, on 4S tires. With my GT350, I ran snow tires as soon as possible. The car was well behaved today in track mode. But I respect the power enough to know that if it will get away in hot weather, I definitely can’t push it when it’s cooler.
Pretty sure the driver is familiar with horsepower. Like 2000+ hp in the linked car he owned.

Reactions: 69bossnine

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
Pretty sure the driver is familiar with horsepower. Like 2000+ hp in the linked car he owned.
Bingo... It wasn't the HP that bit him, it was just a matter of entering a tight/dusty corner too hot... Could've had the same accident in an eco-boost... (with cup tires ;) ) ..

·
Premium Member
2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible
6,215 Posts
Bingo... It wasn't the HP that bit him, it was just a matter of entering a tight/dusty corner too hot... Could've had the same accident in an eco-boost... (with cup tires ;) ) ..
Just as I said in an earlier post.... Dust will put you in a ditch as fast as Ice, you just don't expect it nor perhaps see it !!!

This is a Haboob, not often but also not unusual for here in Arizona, they are Giant wind and Dust storms...

This is Phoenix, a couple times a year they hit. Winds and dust storms.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Just as I said in an earlier post.... Dust will put you in a ditch as fast as Ice, you just don't expect it nor perhaps see it !!!

This is a Haboob, not often but also not unusual for here in Arizona, they are Giant wind and Dust storms...

View attachment 209949

This is Phoenix, a couple times a year they hit. Winds and dust storms.
Yuppers! A couple of members were giving me flack about the C8 Vette vs. 2020 GT500 race that was on a dusty poor surface. I replied that the GT500, with the engine weight in the front couldn’t get any grip. The Vette, with the weight of the engine over the drive tires, was much less affected by the poor conditions.

Reactions: BostonDave

·
Premium Member
2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible
6,215 Posts
I will say it again as it needs repeating, even a thin layer of dust on the road can be more troublesome than a half inch of ice!
You will most likely be aware of the ice.

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue/White Stripes
672 Posts
People just don't realize how just a slight amount of dust on the road in a high horse powered cah will cause a loss of traction. This is why sometimes you hook great and sometimes you don't or start sliding in a corner or not.

Back East leaves on a wet road are another hazard as far as cornering, stopping and traction goes. Driving can be similar to driving on black ice if you don't know to be cautious. Most people don't know this either.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts