Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible
6,131 Posts
Yup! You can see other sports cars stopped in the picture. I’m guessing they were on a cruise and he punched the throttle. The right rear quarter window is smashed and the right rear is basically destroyed. I’d surmise he was going faster than 45 mph.
'for insurance reasons' I'm sure he was only doing 45....

...reality, 45 was probably in the rear view mirror by a couple pounds of boost before loss of control

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Your points are well taken, and given your geographic location, and you predilection for driving sanely when the early morning or evening temps fall into the arena of "pucker power", are understandable. My response was more generic to cover and enlighten all Shelby owners, some of which may not have a lot of experience with their Shelbys; either recently acquired older models or new 2020's. Jetfire makes a cogent point that some folks are not always experienced enough drivers to fully appreciate how these cars can bite you in the ass in a mili-second! It takes some seat time to get used to these cars. I still contend that even an educated and competent driver who is cognoscente of the temperature limitations of a summer only tire, can get into trouble when called upon to take a sudden and unexpected evasive action or panic stop situation. You can't change the rubber compound of these summer only tire and their lack of surface adhesion in cold temperatures is what will put you and the car in jeopardy. So there! 🤣🤣🤣
I better not mention driving on 28 year old tires early in the morning to a winter car show then. 😬:censored::cool:

·
Registered
2011 GT500
360 Posts
Do you know the state this wreck happened? Kind of looks like north Florida back roads.

·
Super Moderator
5,518 Posts
Your points are well taken, and given your geographic location, and you predilection for driving sanely when the early morning or evening temps fall into the arena of "pucker power", are understandable. My response was more generic to cover and enlighten all Shelby owners, some of which may not have a lot of experience with their Shelbys; either recently acquired older models or new 2020's. Jetfire makes a cogent point that some folks are not always experienced enough drivers to fully appreciate how these cars can bite you in the ass in a mili-second! It takes some seat time to get used to these cars. I still contend that even an educated and competent driver who is cognoscente of the temperature limitations of a summer only tire, can get into trouble when called upon to take a sudden and unexpected evasive action or panic stop situation. You can't change the rubber compound of these summer only tire and their lack of surface adhesion in cold temperatures is what will put you and the car in jeopardy. So there! 🤣🤣🤣
Mike -- good input/perspective/advice on temps and tires. Geographic location certainly plays a part. I think whether one is daily driving one of these beasts or just driving on the weekends matters too. At this point, I'm planning on daily driving mine (when/if I get one) and your advice definitely re-raised my awareness as to what ugly litigious things could happen if, god forbid, I caused an accident driving summer tires in the winter. A couple grand $ of winter/all season tires (Michelins AWS+) is cheap insurance during the late fall/winter/early spring.

·
Registered
On order 2021 GT500 Base, RR
132 Posts
As Caroll Shelby said "There is never enough horsepower......just not enough traction."

If I ever smack up my car my wife will say it was because “I was showing off”

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Do you know the state this wreck happened? Kind of looks like north Florida back roads.
I looked up his profile... you were correct: Ocala, FL.

He was actually contemplating selling the car last Oct:

Reactions: Jus Cruisin

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If I ever smack up my car my wife will say it was because “I was showing off”
Same here. I have my first track day scheduled next weekend (weather permitting). My wife thinks I am out of my mind tracking a $100 grand Mustang. If anything happens to it, it will be a major “I told you so moment!” Talk to the 🤚 I say! 🤟

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,891 Posts
I’d drive my car in Kodiak with the GY’s still on it right down to mid-30 temps, BUT no boost and lots of room left in front of the car. Basically cruising to work. Up there my driving season was probably April/May - Oct, and it was parked in the garage the other half of the year. So yeah, I was trying to milk my driving time very carefully. I don’t feel compelled to push it as much down here even though my current tires are much better than the GY’s.

·
Registered
2014 GT500
520 Posts
Same here. I have my first track day scheduled next weekend (weather permitting). My wife thinks I am out of my mind tracking a $100 grand Mustang. If anything happens to it, it will be a major “I told you so moment!” Talk to the 🤚 I say! 🤟
Tim, make sure you get track insurance for that day. I saw a guy wreck his new BMW when he went off the track and when I asked him if he had track insurance......he didn’t know what it was......😬.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I wonder if he's one of those "get in the car, turn off the traction control" types. I know it's been cold in Florida lately, but having just run a mountain run 2 weeks ago in GA when it was only about 50 out, I'm shocked the car got that out of hand on a straight patch of road with the safety systems engaged. The traction and stability control on these cars is awesome and I always run with them on when it's cold outside.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Reactions: Snoopy49

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue/White Stripes
671 Posts
Really sad to ruin such a nice cah. I just hope that I never wreck mine. I also can drive all year round like Tim, and I do, but I have to be very careful under WOT even in 3rd gear sometimes because of, believe it or not, either too much dust on the road surface as Ken had mentioned or other road conditions warrant it. With the high HP that these cahs have, and even higher for some of us, it can be very easy to lose the ass end if you are not careful. Tires certainly play a major role in this as does the weather, but common sense plays a bigger role because once you start to spin and keep your foot in it then it becomes stupidity and you will more than likely end up in some serious trouble. I know because I almost lost mine a couple of years ago and I was lucky enough to save it, but I learned from that mistake. Some people do not, as they just like to show off too much and end up paying the price for it. They always think that they have it under control and can save it at any time, which as we all know is not always the case. Just be safe out there and use your noggin once in awhile. It's there for a reason.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,891 Posts
I wonder if he's one of those "get in the car, turn off the traction control" types. I know it's been cold in Florida lately, but having just run a mountain run 2 weeks ago in GA when it was only about 50 out, I'm shocked the car got that out of hand on a straight patch of road with the safety systems engaged. The traction and stability control on these cars is awesome and I always run with them on when it's cold outside.
A good point Kyle. I forgot to mention in my comment about running my car when temps got colder in Kodiak that I too left all the nannies engaged. Normally I turn off traction control, which leaves stability control on, but when it's colder outside I leave the traction control on. Face it, I'm not getting into boost and playing anyways. So what's the point of turning off traction control? Let it do its job.

·
Registered
Ordered!! 2021 shelby gt500
115 Posts
Soo, i know i will figure this out when my new shelby arrives (🥰🥰) but i was just curious.. with the traction control, does it operate where ya push the button and it shuts off TC, and/or hold for a few sec to shut off everything?

21 - 40 of 68 Posts