Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be careful on those cold roads with SC2 tires! I watched a buddy of mine take his CFTP off-road right behind me as his car got a little squirrelly on a freeway on-ramp a few weeks ago. These cars have a crap ton of power. When the roads are cold, you have to take it easy with your right foot.

The explanation given may have been for insurance reasons... from FB:

7484270E-EAAD-4696-A1C8-BBD26D739D83.jpeg
A238AFED-7809-44B5-A291-90DC58B0D24E.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2013 Shelby GT500 performance white
837 Posts
Be careful on those cold roads with SC2 tires! I watched a buddy of mine take his CFTP off-road right behind me as his car got a little squirrelly on a freeway on-ramp a few weeks ago. These cars have a crap ton of power. When the roads are cold, you have to take it easy with your right foot.

The explanation given may have been for insurance reasons... from FB:

View attachment 209813 View attachment 209814
I would be sick. I feel bad enough just looking at it and it’s not even mine. Bad deal.

·
Premium Member
2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible
6,159 Posts
I would be sick. I feel bad enough just looking at it and it’s not even mine. Bad deal.
It's OK, that should buff-out.

...or maybe not
Hope he was able to walk away !

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Ouch.

SC2s are track tires with just enough streetability to satisfy regulatory requirements. They really have no business being used beyond to and from the track.

They quickly become equally dangerous in the wet with so much patch and nowhere for water to go other than to lift the tire off the road. Even in moderate conditions, they need to warm up before becoming as sure-footed as most summer tires.

Especially after spending so much on the vehicle itself, not investing in a second set of wheels with a quality performance tire, especially with PS4S available in OE fitment, or swapping out and remounting the SCs just for track days always seemed short-sighted to me.

Especially with exotic wheels like the carbons and Ford leaning so heavily on tires to achieve their handling objectives, Ford would do owners (and itself) a great service by at least offering an optional performance street tire or a second wheel and tire set altogether.

I almost killed myself driving home my very first GT500 from the dealer on those miserable Goodyear F1G2s with a mere 550hp on a cool autumn day that turn Goodyears into hockey pucks and superchargers live for. By God’s grace, I never actually had to learn the hard way and didn’t need to be told twice.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He mentioned in his post that he is in the hospital. I agree that the results don’t look like it started from 45 mph. As for the SC2 tires. I have driven on them in with temps in the mid 40s and into the 50s. The day my buddy went off-road, it was in the upper 50s at the time. I just adjust my driving habits accordingly based on the temp... same as I would do in the wet. I have no plans to run different wheels and tires. I’ll hammer on the car when it’s warm and dry... anything else requires adjustments.

·
Premium Member
6,159 Posts
@Madlock et al...

I fully understand the issues with the POS GY's, and don't anyone underestimate 'dust' on the road!

I had mine only a month or two, 1526 miles +\- and was driving in to town. I was living in the newly built home for retirement just a few miles outside of Pheonix. On a realatively new nicely paved road heading into the Phx area, I had no knowledge of a Haboob... (look it up in Arizona, massive dust storm). I got caught in one, horrible experience. It passed and I was just not thinking about what it left on the road. Now I grew up and had driven in Mo during ice storms and in Colorado the previuos nearly 20 years...
I was doing fine when I started back driving ( I had to pull over for the Haboob, vision was about four feet) I went to third gear, now this was with the car all completely stock and knew nothing about the damn death tires. As soon as it was in third I was sideways and within seconds the thing was spinning, IIRC it went around about twice and back end went off on the other side of the road shoulder where it stopped.
It was facing the way back home and that is where I went. Got on line and this site where I was educated regarding the GY's... that is also when I joined here. About a week later, new tires! The GY's met a pleasurable death in a empty parking lot, it was quite a smoke show.
Anyway the moral is: Do Not Underestmate 'just Dust' on the road !

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
10,091 Posts
For years I've preached to forum members and others about the inherent and real dangers of driving these "summer tire only" equipped, high powered cars during even cooler temperatures. Some casually say "Just take it easy and you'll be fine." or "Let them warm up" which is BS because temperature doesn't change rubber chemistry! You're only just fine until you aren't when you have to stop suddenly or make an evasive move. Madlock was on point. These are expensive cars and why not invest in some all season tires if you are going to drive in temperatures less than 60 degrees! To do otherwise is foolhardy and other than damaging your car or injuring yourself, you might do the same to someone else who just happens to be drawn into your accident. Think law suites and your whole life changing. It happens. I bit the bullet and bought new wheels and all seasons for my GT350, and it's money well spent. If you hurt someone, you can bet that a good attorney would be all over the fact that you drove a hi-performance car on tires clearly designated as unsafe at lower temperatures. In a civil suite, you'd get hammered. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
On order 2021 GT500 Base, RR
133 Posts
I was talking to a custom wheel and tire installer here in MN, Pilot 4s are the most extreme tires he will install for road use.

I’m thinking of putting on a set of all season tires for spring and fall on the OEM wheels and moving the 4S tires over to a summer set of wheels. I drive on enough slick roads in winter, I don’t need to deal with that BS when it’s nice because of the wrong tires.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For years I've preached to forum members and others about the inherent and real dangers of driving these "summer tire only" equipped, high powered cars during even cooler temperatures. Some casually say "Just take it easy and you'll be fine." or "Let them warm up" which is BS because temperature doesn't change rubber chemistry! You're only just fine until you aren't when you have to stop suddenly or make an evasive move. Madlock was on point. These are expensive cars and why not invest in some all season tires if you are going to drive in temperatures less than 60 degrees! To do otherwise is foolhardy and other than damaging your car or injuring yourself, you might do the same to someone else who just happens to be drawn into your accident. Think law suites and your whole life changing. It happens. I bit the bullet and bought new wheels and all seasons for my GT350, and it's money well spent. If you hurt someone, you can bet that a good attorney would be all over the fact that you drove a hi-performance car on tires clearly designated as unsafe at lower temperatures. In a civil suite, you'd get hammered. Just food for thought.
I get where you are coming from Mike, but I have to disagree a little here and there with your statement. Your location should play into your decision on tires. On average, your temps in Maryland are usually quite colder than what I experience in Texas. Having said that, it can still get cold here in the winter, especially in the mornings. With location also comes the possibility of either storing your car during the winter or driving it year-round. I drive my cars year-round. I have successfully piloted my 750 hp 2011 GT500 on summer/track tires (Toyo R888) for 9 years now during the winter months. I have been out on some chilly mornings in my CFTP as well. I won't be buying all season tires for my cars for the short time I am exposed to cool temps. I do, however, know when to and when not to get on the gas, play in boost, attack a corner, etc. Cold temps on summer performance tires in a high horsepower car requires using one's noggin. You must adjust your driving habits... same as you would during a snow or ice storm... adjust your driving per the conditions. I would not assess this as "foolhardy." What I WOULD assess as foolhardy is driving the same in cold/slippery conditions as you would when it's warm with good traction.

·
Registered
On order 2021 GT500 Base, RR
133 Posts
I think some people have more money than sense, they buy these cars without any driving skills or knowledge of tire dynamics. It’s January in MN and I see Hellcats, Mustangs, and Camaros rolling around.

People here drive on bald tires as long as they can, try and get an appointment after any snowstorm. Good luck! If people don’t consider ice road conditions, they sure as heck aren’t considering summer tire conditions when it’s only considered chilly.

·
Registered
2011 GT500
368 Posts
Same stuff happened when the C7 Z06 came out. Guys would come out of cars that they could mat at any time and then tried to drive the Z06 like they used to or like a video game (light switch on/off throttle). Resulted with someone wadding up a Z06 that seemed like a weekly occurrence. Michelin Sport Cup 2's (I had them on mine) are no better than the Goodyear F1's at 70° or colder. It's been said many times "You can't fix stupid".

Reactions: Norton

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He posted more pics:

854DD598-A244-4600-905F-F2E01D4CE3D4.jpeg
FF0AE473-57B0-4AE5-B64C-9D085E6B4ABA.jpeg
34CE58EA-63F4-435D-B18F-51AC60B9E5ED.jpeg

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad driver is ok. Wonder when the wheels will hit ebay??
I can’t imagine any of the wheels surviving that. The $16k wing looks good though!

Reactions: Carsten89

·
Premium Member
6,159 Posts
ARIZONA, that pretty much says it for here.

Temps can and do drop at night during "winter" but a couple hours after the suns up.... go time.

Besides, I'm RETIRED, don't have to go anywhere at any particular time, so I don't. Or if I do I usually take the JEEP.

The GT500 doesn't get out all to often anyway, and the Porches even less often, so no winter snow tires required here.

….that also may be the reason for three cars that the top opens up !

·
Premium Member
6,159 Posts
Tim,

It is obvious by the pics that at least it didn't roll, that's a GOOD thing !
It also looks like he went off into some soft ground.

Engine, tranny and rear-end may be good !!! (well, maybe not the rear)

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tim,

It is obvious by the pics that at least it didn't roll, that's a GOOD thing !
It also looks like he went off into some soft ground.
Yup! You can see other sports cars stopped in the picture. I’m guessing they were on a cruise and he punched the throttle. The right rear quarter window is smashed and the right rear is basically destroyed. I’d surmise he was going faster than 45 mph.

Reactions: CollectedDust

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
10,091 Posts
I get where you are coming from Mike, but I have to disagree a little here and there with your statement. Your location should play into your decision on tires. On average, your temps in Maryland are usually quite colder than what I experience in Texas. Having said that, it can still get cold here in the winter, especially in the mornings. With location also comes the possibility of either storing your car during the winter or driving it year-round. I drive my cars year-round. I have successfully piloted my 750 hp 2011 GT500 on summer/track tires (Toyo R888) for 9 years now during the winter months. I have been out on some chilly mornings in my CFTP as well. I won't be buying all season tires for my cars for the short time I am exposed to cool temps. I do, however, know when to and when not to get on the gas, play in boost, attack a corner, etc. Cold temps on summer performance tires in a high horsepower car requires using one's noggin. You must adjust your driving habits... same as you would during a snow or ice storm... adjust your driving per the conditions. I would not assess this as "foolhardy." What I WOULD assess as foolhardy is driving the same in cold/slippery conditions as you would when it's warm with good traction.
Your points are well taken, and given your geographic location, and you predilection for driving sanely when the early morning or evening temps fall into the arena of "pucker power", are understandable. My response was more generic to cover and enlighten all Shelby owners, some of which may not have a lot of experience with their Shelbys; either recently acquired older models or new 2020's. Jetfire makes a cogent point that some folks are not always experienced enough drivers to fully appreciate how these cars can bite you in the ass in a mili-second! It takes some seat time to get used to these cars. I still contend that even an educated and competent driver who is cognoscente of the temperature limitations of a summer only tire, can get into trouble when called upon to take a sudden and unexpected evasive action or panic stop situation. You can't change the rubber compound of these summer only tire and their lack of surface adhesion in cold temperatures is what will put you and the car in jeopardy. So there! 🤣🤣🤣

1 - 20 of 68 Posts