Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know how may of you visit other sites, so I thought I'd post up here.

An issue has been discovered with the Scott Drake Power Steering cap. It has a vent hole in the top when it shouldn't. This vent hole allows moisture to get into the power steering reservoir, contaminating the fluid. I just checked mine last night, and my fluid is a milky pink color...lots of water in it. :mad:

The cap is being redesigned and a new one will be out in a couple of months. Anyone who bought them from Shelby Autos can send an email to [email protected] to get on the list for a free replacement.

Until a replacement is out, you can plug the hole with a dab of silicone, or just put the stock cap back on.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

An issue has been discovered with the Scott Drake Power Steering cap. It has a vent hole in the top when it shouldn't. This vent hole allows moisture to get into the power steering reservoir, contaminating the fluid. I just checked mine last night, and my fluid is a milky pink color...lots of water in it. :mad:

The cap is being redesigned and a new one will be out in a couple of months. Anyone who bought them from Shelby Autos can send an email to [email protected] to get on the list for a free replacement.

Until a replacement is out, you can plug the hole with a dab of silicone, or just put the stock cap back on.

Wow that sucks.:( At least they are fixing the problem.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts

Thanks PREZ... I have that exact problem....What are you doing about the water in your fluid? And can that have an impact on the brake system?

May need a purging? Or not enough top cause a problem?? :eek:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks Prez.....added my name to the list

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks PREZ... I have that exact problem....What are you doing about the water in your fluid? And can that have an impact on the brake system?

You need to flush and replace the power steering fluid PRONTO. It will cause problems.

Type Mercon fluid, its not that hard to do yourself.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

The power steering resevoir is seperate from the brake resevoir. The brake resevoir also supports the clutch master or slave I believe.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Thats funny because I had wrote Scott Drake about his problem and heres my email that I sent.

Subject: Shelby P/S res tank cap w/cable

Dear Scott Drake,

I have purchased the Shelby P/S res cap w/cable from BlueOvalIndustries.com for my 2007 Shelby GT 500 and I have a problem with the cap not fitting tight enough to seal and therefore allowing air to get into the system which made the fluid boil and leak all over my car. What remedies do you suggest we do about this?

Thankyou for your time.

Kerry [/COLOR]

Kerry, PS Caps are Vented both ours and factory. Air tight seal would cause other problems with the system. So Air is not a Factor here and temperature to boil hydraulic fluid is extremely high and unlikely.

We are just guessing here but the system could have been overfilled from the factory and under very high RPM’s the fluid will heat up and slightly expand under the pressure, this along with the turbulence of the fluid racing through there and some hard corning could have it come out the top if overfilled.

Did you need to add any fluid back to the system? If it is still showing full, than that was probably your problem. We have sold over 1000 of these caps with out a single complaint (However probably 95% or more went on a 4.6 Mustangs). According to Ford they are the same cap. I do not have a GT500 to test fit one here. Although very unlikely it could be you PS pump putting out too much pressure at high RPM. Our cap could be defective but that is also unlikely as technically you can conservatively drive a car with out a cap on it with out any issues of spilling out.

Hope this helps and sorry for you mess.

Paul

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thats funny because I had wrote Scott Drake about his problem and heres my email that I sent.

Subject: Shelby P/S res tank cap w/cable

Dear Scott Drake,

I have purchased the Shelby P/S res cap w/cable from BlueOvalIndustries.com for my 2007 Shelby GT 500 and I have a problem with the cap not fitting tight enough to seal and therefore allowing air to get into the system which made the fluid boil and leak all over my car. What remedies do you suggest we do about this?

Thankyou for your time.

Kerry [/COLOR]

Kerry, PS Caps are Vented both ours and factory. Air tight seal would cause other problems with the system. So Air is not a Factor here and temperature to boil hydraulic fluid is extremely high and unlikely.

We are just guessing here but the system could have been overfilled from the factory and under very high RPM’s the fluid will heat up and slightly expand under the pressure, this along with the turbulence of the fluid racing through there and some hard corning could have it come out the top if overfilled.

Did you need to add any fluid back to the system? If it is still showing full, than that was probably your problem. We have sold over 1000 of these caps with out a single complaint (However probably 95% or more went on a 4.6 Mustangs). According to Ford they are the same cap. I do not have a GT500 to test fit one here. Although very unlikely it could be you PS pump putting out too much pressure at high RPM. Our cap could be defective but that is also unlikely as technically you can conservatively drive a car with out a cap on it with out any issues of spilling out.

Hope this helps and sorry for you mess.

Paul

That solves your Nashville dilemma, but if I remember correctly you had already solved this with disreguard to their answer.

ILLEGAL

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats funny because I had wrote Scott Drake about his problem and heres my email that I sent...
Ah yes. I remember that. I guess they finally got enough complaints that they decided to really test it. From what the Shelby Autos guy said, the Mustang GT stock power steering cap does have vent hole, which is fine because the GT doesn't have the big holes in the hood that allow water in. Not the case with the GT500.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
The power steering resevoir is seperate from the brake resevoir. The brake resevoir also supports the clutch master or slave I believe.
I'm not sure why I asked about brakes. Must have been the Rolling Rock typing;) ;) DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:eek:

I was refering to Power Steering. And I rec'd an email back offering up to $100 towards having the system purged and cleaned out. And mine is milky. Here's the email.

"You’ve been added to the list. If you provide me with proof of purchase, your VIN and invoice verifying that your system was flushed out of necessity, we will reimburse you up to $100 for the flush. It’s important that the tech states on the invoice that the system needed to be flushed. Thanks so much!"

Keith S. Criswell

Shelby Performance Parts, LLC.

702-405-3501

[email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts