Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what year it is but it belongs to friend of my dad who lives in New Zealand. It's a Dan Gurney Special Mercury Cyclone Spoiler if I said that right lol reminded me a lot of the Stang! Will try to get better pictures

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Very Cool!

·
Premium Member
6,580 Posts
It's a 1969. And you got it all correctly, except you left out "II", i.e. "Cyclone Spoiler II".

The II designation applied to the Dan Gurney and Cale Yarborough editions that featured extended front bodywork and flush grille that worked better in NASCAR for aero... Rockers were also modified such that the cars could legally run about 1-inch lower than standard Cyclones. Homologation rules dictated that at least 500 cars with the body mods had to be sold to the public, and all of the Cyclone II's were either Yarborough or Gurney editions.

The Torino version was the Talladega.

The homologation rules also applied to engines, but Ford did not install their hemi-headed NASCAR 429's into either Spoiler II's or Talladegas. They decided to fulfill the 500-unit requirement for the engine with Mustangs, hence the Boss 429. This was because the Boss 429 engines were introduced later in the season.

And by 1970, Mopar was running aero-nosed and WINGED hemi cars... And by 1971, NASCAR said "enough of this silliness", and changed all the rules on body mods.. ;)

More than you probably wanted to know about that Cyclone II.. :)

They don't carry near the values that Mopar winged cars do, mostly because they were all 351 Windsors, and also just "because" collectors have never thought as highly of them.

But they're a neat piece of history.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
i owned a 68 Torino fast back when i was a kid (paid $225 for it) it was a POS obviously

i always wanted a Cyclone....almost bought a 71 once.....

odds are the Dan Gurney had a 351 in it?....almost every Cyclone/Torino had 302 or 351....Cobra's were pretty unusual

on Meecum they had a 428 Cyclone once and it sold for really low...i think in the $20's....doesnt seem very desirable to most muscle car collectors......

Id love to own one for a fun 3rd car some day...always one of my favorites

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Uber-rare car!!!!

I had a chance to buy a '69 Talladega years ago (a blue one), but was a day late. I saw a beautiful white one this summer at a car show and resumed kicking myself.

:boohoo:

·
Premium Member
6,580 Posts
It's my understanding that the Gurney and Yarborough Spoiler-II cars were all 351-powered.

But you could get 428CJ power in the Talladegas...

I used to have an extremely sharp 1969 Fairlane Cobra Q-code (flat hood) 428SCJ Drag-Pack, triple-black in the formal (coupe) roof body, which for whatever reason I've always preferred over the fastbacks. It was extremely rare, one of like less-than-20 formal-roof Drag Packs built.

But I rarely drove/enjoyed it, and once my wife started planning our wedding... Off it went to a new owner.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
It's my understanding that the Gurney and Yarborough Spoiler-II cars were all 351-powered.
Yep.

Never understood why the Spoiler IIs only got those when the Talladegas got CJ power.....apparently the engine choice didn't matter for homologation, just the bodies.

·
Premium Member
6,580 Posts
Both the bodies, AND the engines had to be homologated... But not necessarily all in the same vehicles...

The Boss 429 engines were not ready for the beginning of the 1969 NASCAR season, so Ford decided to go ahead and homologate the bodies (Spoiler II's and Talladegas) early-on so that they'd be legal in time to start the season with the already-homologated 427's Ford had been running up to that point. Then mid-season, the Boss 429 engines were ready-to-go, Ford scrambled-together the Boss 429 Mustang to meet homologation minimums, and they were finally allowed to drop the hemi-head 429's into the race-body Tallies and Spoiler II's..

And that's a very loose and not-fact-checked timeline.. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts