Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 convertible with the Shaker 500. My son and my brother have fallen in love with their satellite radios and keep urging me to get one for the GT 500. I do not want one of those ugly lumps (no offense) on the trunk of my car. What does it take to add satellite radio to the Shaker 500 and what antenna options are there? Any dash mounted inconspicuous antenna out there?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
57 Posts
can't answer you on adding to the factory radio, sure it can be done though. On the antenna it just needs a clear view of sky, could be mounted on the "rear dash", looking up through the rear window.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
My wife has the add on unit in her Volvo. The antenna is small (1.250 x 1.250 or so), magnetic, and sticks to the top of her instrument panel near the base of the windshield. Dunno if theres anything magnetic in our cars in that area to stick to though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've added satellite radio to my '06 Saleen that has a Shaker 500. If you can check online, I found mine on E-Bay, for a kit for the Ford Shaker 500 that has the receiver, Ford wiring harness, and antenna that plugs the system into the AUX port in the back of the radio. When you push the AUX button, the radio goes to the XM or Sirus channel. I had the same system in a BMW except for the wiring harness. I have the antenna on the trunk lid; I tried under the package shelf as some people have done, but had coverage problem depending on the direction of the car. It's a no brainer. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I have an 07 convertible with the Shaker 500. My son and my brother have fallen in love with their satellite radios and keep urging me to get one for the GT 500. I do not want one of those ugly lumps (no offense) on the trunk of my car. What does it take to add satellite radio to the Shaker 500 and what antenna options are there? Any dash mounted inconspicuous antenna out there?

Thanks in advance!
wheelman,
Quite a few of the retro T-Bird owners were like you in that they didn't want the ant mounted on the car.

Since the T-Birds had a fiberglass trunk lid, several guys/gals removed the trunk lid liner, stuck a magnetic mount antenna to a metal electrical outlet box cover and placed that between the trunk lid and the liner.

That wouldn't work with the GT500s due to the metal trunk lid, but it just might be possible to modify that idea and mount it under the rear deck (do verts have one?) between the speakers or under the dash.

I used two-sided tape to stick a black metal washer to the center my T-Bird dash, down next to the windshield for the antenna (I was too lazy to run the wire to the trunk).

My '09 came w/Sirius radio as std equip so it has the "ugly lump" on the trunk in front of the spoiler. It doesn't bother me, but not sure if I would have put it there if I had done the installation.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
The company is Integrated Solutions using the e-Bay store. I have used their system in more than one car and it's worked perfectly. I don't have the Ford harness part number. They have a tech support number on the store site: 214-306-8031. Pulling the radio is a simple job. The hardest part is running the antenna wire to the rear of the car. The power is goes through their receiver from the factory wiring and their wiring takes the satellite signal and through power back to the Ford radio. I really is a slick system and you don't have a FM modulator or some other add on receiver mounted on the dash.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't believe it is the same. Search E-bay for Ford satellite radio and the kit should come up for all Fords and the Mustang. Integrated Solutions is the vendor. Once you find that, their e-bay store can be found showing all their products. You may want to call their tech support number to verify them. Again, their product has worked on two of my Mustangs and my BMW.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts