Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Saleen's new owner, MJ Acquisitions, will not be honoring any outstanding warranties on Saleen Inc. products, services, or vehicles.

That's right, MJ Acquisitions recently sent a letter to all certified Saleen and Racecraft dealers stating that customers will have to pay for any repair costs because Saleen Inc. has ceased operations. It clearly states that, "MJ Acquisitions, Inc. is not responsible or obligated to cover warranties and/or any financial liabilities of Saleen, Inc." The bad news applies to all Saleen products sold prior to February 2, 2009.

That's bad news for the customers, but there is also bad news for the retailers. Saleen Inc. will also no longer be able to cover parts or labor on any vehicle with a Saleen warranty - including unsold vehicles currently sitting on showroom floors. This will certainly make those vehicles a lot harder to move.

MJ Acquisitions says in the letter that it feels sorry for the outcome and wants to reassure customers and retailers that the Saleen brand will continue.

Now, we can't see the future, but it's not a stretch to predict that Saleen might just fade away after this news. The Mustang community is a tight-knit one and trying to sell Saleen cars and car parts to that same customer base after this news could be damn-near impossible.

More: Saleen Warranties Null & Void Says New Owner on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
658 Posts
Saleen buyers sure got screwed, the new company should be boycotted indefinitely........

·
Registered
662 Posts
+1 That's no way to start out.

·
Registered
658 Posts
On the contrary, that's EXACTLY how to start out. Clean slate and no baggage.

Good for the customers? Hell no. Good for the new company's chances of making it, yes.

bj
Spoken like a true manager BJ, However, the cost of consumer confidence reigns high when you’re talking about a 40-80 thousand dollar car. So chances of making it depends on how much capitol you have to out wait the memory of the consumer.
Given the current economic trend, some of the biggest questions on the mind of a potential car buyer/owner are:
Will my new car warranty be in tact tomorrow?
Will the company be around to service my car?
Are parts going to be readily available?
I think GM would reorganize tomorrow if they thought the consumer would erase these concerns out of their minds.
That said; if I ran MJ Acquisitions, I'm not so sure that I would just make a blanket statement that would wipe every warranty. I would consider adjusting the warranty strategy to help my largest consumers on a case by case or perhaps maintain a “parts only” warranty.
I was faced with that situation 19 years ago when our facility was purchased by another owner. I was the operations manager and the warranty thing was thrown in my lap. I decided to honor all the warranties from the previous proprietor. The cost turned out to be minimal but the upside turned out to be winner! I am a firm believer that "word of mouth" and consumer confidence carries a lot of weight.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Didn't we have a couple people ask about a choice between Saleen vs. the GT500??? I hope they chose the Shelby otherwise I am sure they are pissed now

·
Registered
662 Posts
Spoken like a true manager BJ, However, the cost of consumer confidence reigns high when you’re talking about a 40-80 thousand dollar car. So chances of making it depends on how much capitol you have to out wait the memory of the consumer.
Given the current economic trend, some of the biggest questions on the mind of a potential car buyer/owner are:
Will my new car warranty be in tact tomorrow?
Will the company be around to service my car?
Are parts going to be readily available?
I think GM would reorganize tomorrow if they thought the consumer would erase these concerns out of their minds.
That said; if I ran MJ Acquisitions, I'm not so sure that I would just make a blanket statement that would wipe every warranty. I would consider adjusting the warranty strategy to help my largest consumers on a case by case or perhaps maintain a “parts only” warranty.
I was faced with that situation 19 years ago when our facility was purchased by another owner. I was the operations manager and the warranty thing was thrown in my lap. I decided to honor all the warranties from the previous proprietor. The cost turned out to be minimal but the upside turned out to be winner! I am a firm believer that "word of mouth" and consumer confidence carries a lot of weight.
+1 If you give the finger to all previous customers whether or not they were your's, you can be damn sure they won't be repeats. My Dad used to own a Chevy dealership and he always told me a happy customer will tell 5 friends, a pissed off one will tell 15. Of course that was before the internet, now how many does it reach when your pissed off....thousands. I just don't see the parts or warranties that Salleen put out costing near as much as the rep...might as well just shut the doors now.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If this company has its name on a product I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole
What are they afraid of they just bought a car company. Do they think that anyone would ever buy anything from them now that they have done this. This is like Ford buying Volvo and saying from this day forward no warranty clams will be honored. Come Back Steve and save what you started

·
Registered
64 Posts
wow, some times you have to wonder if car people are running the show.

for so many years I always thought of Saleens as a mustang I would like to own and luckilly for me I chose the GT500 for the simple fact that overseas there is warranty coverage for the US military.

If I was in the states I very well might have bought a Saleen. thank god I didnt!

I don't see how the new owner will get any loyalty back after kicking all the old owners in the teeth! Not only car owners but the dealerships that sell them, somehow I bet with the economy like it is there wont be alot of dealerships taking up the Saleen brand. Wonder how many Saleens are still sitting on dealer lots without a warranty?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Interesting situation since I have a 2006 Saleen with a cracked center spoiler due to poor installation that the old Saleen Company agreed to repair under warranty. We were waiting for the part which I assume will never come. I have been told by others that Saleen was difficult to deal with. I also have a Ducati, and they too are a moving target for warranty, but we can excuse them because they are Italian. Saleen is in the Detroit area and so are the Lions 0 and 16 football team; is there a message here?

·
Registered
658 Posts
but we can excuse them because they are Italian.
Being of the Italian faith, I think I just got bitch slapped:fight:

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Lighten up a little Fastlif, I'm just funnin with Beemer :)
sorry, I just touchy on race religion comments. I think people are too easily offended these days.

BTW: whats the story with Saleen? What happened? Why did he sell out? Gimmie the Saleen story 101...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts