Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold my 11 GT500 a few weeks ago. Wife was going to let me get C7 z, but then nixed because of no back seat. Was looking to upgrade to a 13-14 convertible, but slim slim pickings and most I found were $63k on up. I have been eyeballing 18+ coyote convertibles with the 10 speed as those things are beasts with headers and an E85 tune. Are the handling characteristics that much better on these cars? Not as cool looking as a 13-14 GT500, but bang for the buck until I can get a Z really intrigues me. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
1,386 Posts
Sold my 11 GT500 a few weeks ago. Wife was going to let me get C7 z, but then nixed because of no back seat. Was looking to upgrade to a 13-14 convertible, but slim slim pickings and most I found were $63k on up. I have been eyeballing 18+ coyote convertibles with the 10 speed as those things are beasts with headers and an E85 tune. Are the handling characteristics that much better on these cars? Not as cool looking as a 13-14 GT500, but bang for the buck until I can get a Z really intrigues me. Any thoughts?
Well, you've opened a can of worms here......

Yes, the 3D gen coyote with the A10 is fast, but unless you throw a s/c on it, it's not faster than the 13/14 GT500. You're not making up the 200hp gap with headers and e85 alone.

Pros for Shelby...
1) ITS A SHELBY!
2) It's gated
3) The trinity does have its own sound
4) Capable of 202mph and is designed to hit that in 5th gear.
5) 6th gear is a true OD gear and youll get around 20mpg on the highway in a 662hp car.
6) refer back to #1
Cons for Shelby...
1) It's 9 years old
2) The motor isn't sleeved and you cannot bore it any more so if you score the cylinder walls, you'll need a new block. (This is typically only seen when people exceed 800whp and shift over 5500 without motor work)
3) It's a solid rear axle, so straight lines are where it's most comfortable.

Pros for GT....
1) The A10 is always in the right gear
2) The coyote market is HUGE and the 3d gen yote can make some serious power
3) It has IRS
Cons...
1) ITS NOT A SHELBY!
2) It's not a manual. (If that's your thing)
3) GTs are a dime a dozen
4) Refer to #1

Be aware that the convertibles are not designed for big power. The SuperSnake convertible, making like 800hp, cracked it frame under heavy use. Throttle House has a video about it.

Honestly, I would prefer the C7Z over the GT. It's faster, bigger engine, 8 speed auto or 7 speed manual, looks awesome, this LS market is HUGE, and the transmission is in the rear of the car which helps to balance the car so it handles phenomenally.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
42,718 Posts
I would chose the car you don’t see on every drive. The 13/14 GT500 is a bit antiquated when compared to the 18+ GT that you are contemplating, but it will be a more rewarding experience if you enjoy not seeing your twin everywhere.

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500 SVTPP
216 Posts
I love the C7…one of the best looking corvettes…and a Z06 is a bitch. But if you’re staying with the Shelby (good choice), I’d go S197 and a 13/14 ….it’s the most complete S197. The only issue is the cost keeps rising and suddenly your total outlay( cost, taxes, shipping) is getting into the $ 70-80K range …soup to nuts. At that price point, you gotta Look around…I’ve entertained selling my 11 and getting a 13/14 coupe , but as I mentioned earlier ( see above) the final outlay is getting a bit high…for a 8-9 year old car. Just my opinion and thoughts…good luck…

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
42,718 Posts
I love the C7…one of the best looking corvettes…and a Z06 is a bitch. But if you’re staying with the Shelby (good choice), I’d go S197 and a 13/14 ….it’s the most complete S197. The only issue is the cost keeps rising and suddenly your total outlay( cost, taxes, shipping) is getting into the $ 70-80K range …soup to nuts. At that price point, you gotta Look around…I’ve entertained selling my 11 and getting a 13/14 coupe , but as I mentioned earlier ( see above) the final outlay is getting a bit high…for a 8-9 year old car. Just my opinion and thoughts…good luck…
If you are getting up close to $80k, I’d personally reach a bit more for a used 2020-2022 and get much more of a complete car. Independent rear suspension alone is a massive difference.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500, SGM, " 1 of 1 "
5,785 Posts
Have your wife pick your next car !!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Shelby GT500 Vert, 2019 Ford F150 Limited
744 Posts
I have a 14 vert and really like it. I have been contemplating selling it though (due to current prices) and getting a 20-22 Shelby. If I do that, I have to buy my wife a vert for a daily driver.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 14 vert and really like it. I have been contemplating selling it though (due to current prices) and getting a 20-22 Shelby. If I do that, I have to buy my wife a vert for a daily driver.
let me know if interested in selling.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
13-14 are not 70-80k. Maybe the guys smoking the crack pipes when listing. Can get a nice one with 20k miles for 58ish.

• Haha
Reactions: AZ21GT500

·
Registered
2013 GT500 SVTPP 2003 Oxford white cobra coupe, 2003 cobra coupe black, 1988 Foxbody Notch 5.0
181 Posts
I would say a lot of this would be based on what your purpose for the car would be. If you enjoy just cruising with the top down, and don’t want to shift I’d say the 18+ coyote A10 car is a good choice. As Goose said, If you want something Unique then grab a 13/14 GT500. Unsure what your budget is. However my brother is a corvette fanatic, we’ve been on the hunt to get him a 2016+ Z07 with the 3LT, competition seats, ceramic brakes, etc. I can assure you those are a bit north of the $63k you’re referring to. Also are you trying to buy a low mileage car? If that’s the case they will all be a bit pricey given recent market values, and collectors coming out of the wood works to cash in on their investments. Bestfriend has a 2017 C7 Z06, car is fun, and somewhat enjoyable to drive on the random occasion you get to open it up. It’s just a really low car to me, and getting in and out presents it’s issues for me that is. You might slide in like a glove. I’d say maybe shop around and see what you enjoy to cruise in mostly. Don’t think you’ll find to many 13/14’s to test drive though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m sticking with the 13-14 Snake. Found a few with low miles…either not my color liking or one didn’t have nav. All were around $63k.

I would say a lot of this would be based on what your purpose for the car would be. If you enjoy just cruising with the top down, and don’t want to shift I’d say the 18+ coyote A10 car is a good choice. As Goose said, If you want something Unique then grab a 13/14 GT500. Unsure what your budget is. However my brother is a corvette fanatic, we’ve been on the hunt to get him a 2016+ Z07 with the 3LT, competition seats, ceramic brakes, etc. I can assure you those are a bit north of the $63k you’re referring to. Also are you trying to buy a low mileage car? If that’s the case they will all be a bit pricey given recent market values, and collectors coming out of the wood works to cash in on their investments. Bestfriend has a 2017 C7 Z06, car is fun, and somewhat enjoyable to drive on the random occasion you get to open it up. It’s just a really low car to me, and getting in and out presents it’s issues for me that is. You might slide in like a glove. I’d say maybe shop around and see what you enjoy to cruise in mostly. Don’t think you’ll find to many 13/14’s to test drive though.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I’m sticking with the 13-14 Snake. Found a few with low miles…either not my color liking or one didn’t have nav. All were around $63k.
I dont have nav, but I do have a phone. Nav was the only option I dont have and honestly, it's probably not the most important. I get that this is an opinion, but I would suggest not passing on a car solely based on no navigation.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
42,718 Posts
I dont have nav, but I do have a phone. Nav was the only option I dont have and honestly, it's probably not the most important. I get that this is an opinion, but I would suggest not passing on a car solely based on no navigation.
Completely agree! I use my phone in my 2011. It’s worth pointing out as well that nav is probably the first thing to become obsolete in a vehicle.

The newer cars have Apple Car Play, which is nice… you don’t have to rely on a dated nav database. You can stream your phone navigation on the screen, which is always up to date.

• Helpful
Reactions: QSK50

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Completely agree! I use my phone in my 2011. It’s worth pointing out as well that nav is probably the first thing to become obsolete in a vehicle.

The newer cars have Apple Car Play, which is nice… you don’t have to rely on a dated nav database. You can stream your phone navigation on the screen, which is always up to date.
Yes! The nav in all S197 platforms is already out of date. My father works for corporate Ford and gets the pissed off phone calls all the time from people about their navigation not being up to date. It also doesn't update automatically, you need to download the most recent version (which for all S197s is the late version) to a thumb stick and plug it into the USB port in the car.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
2,132 Posts
I guess I should be doing away with my '64.5 cuz it doesn't have Nav either.

Reactions: Leo1074

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
42,718 Posts
I guess I should be doing away with my '64.5 cuz it doesn't have Nav either.
You can add a period correct nav… if you can’t get it to work properly, just eject it.

Smile Aircraft Aerospace manufacturer Glove Belt
Sky Aircraft Vehicle Airplane Monoplane

1 - 18 of 18 Posts