Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing I'm not the only one to hit a curb/bump stop. Scuffed up the black lip of the '09 GT500's underneath the front bumper. (Not sure what you call that piece.) Couldn't get the marks off- tried 0000 steel wool (don't do that as it goes down thru the black), then tried a simple Sharpie black marker but that didn't cover it and then resorted to some leftover flat black Rustoleum I had laying around. That worked better but the paint was too thin and the color didn't match. Off to Home Depot.

HD has lots of colors in spray on Rustoleum. I was torn between a semi-gloss black and the trim & bumper paint, but chose the latter.

Once home, I prepped the piece per the instructions on the can (& while still on the car), taped it all up and shot it w/3 light, quick moving layers. The paint worked amazingly well, dried quickly & covered all the obvious damage. It is a touch glossier than what was but looks pretty good overall.

Originally, I was going to pull the piece off and paint if off the car, that is, until I saw how many damn screws hold that piece on. Tape it up sufficiently w/painter's tape and you'll be fine. If you're tech-tarded, like I am, this is a job for a simpleton so don't be scared. You end up w/a piece that looks renewed.
Lee

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Any photos of your project?

·
Banned
9,880 Posts
That is the splitter and almost impossible to not scuff up if you drive it much. I gave up on mine and just file it down where it is ragged. It is solid color so it is not like scraping off paint of anything. If it is on the underside no one will ever see it, Well maybe Bob will.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,693 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any photos of your project?
I rarely have luck w/posting photos. Heck, I don't even get notified when people comment on my threads. Just gotta take me on my word.

That is the splitter and almost impossible to not scuff up if you drive it much. I gave up on mine and just file it down where it is ragged. It is solid color so it is not like scraping off paint of anything. If it is on the underside no one will ever see it, Well maybe Bob will.
My GT500 is my daily driver, so yeah, it gets scuffed up but this was the biggest scuffage to occur since I've owned it. It is not a solid color tho, at least not by my experience. I tried to remove the paint transfer w/0000 steel wool and the black disappeared. I thought it'd be black thru & thru but nope. Even tried the heating method to get the color to return but that didn't work either.

All in all, this was a pretty simple, quick, easy fix, one I'm guessing I'll have to do again in the future.
Lee

·
Banned
9,880 Posts
I rarely have luck w/posting photos. Heck, I don't even get notified when people comment on my threads. Just gotta take me on my word.

My GT500 is my daily driver, so yeah, it gets scuffed up but this was the biggest scuffage to occur since I've owned it. It is not a solid color tho, at least not by my experience. I tried to remove the paint transfer w/0000 steel wool and the black disappeared. I thought it'd be black thru & thru but nope. Even tried the heating method to get the color to return but that didn't work either.

All in all, this was a pretty simple, quick, easy fix, one I'm guessing I'll have to do again in the future.
Lee
Strange that it is not solid. Maybe they changed after 08. I said mine was because I had to grind the heck out of the back side to get the HE to fit and it was solid color. But yeah if you can get er done cheaper go for it.

·
Banned
8,945 Posts

Lee
Kudos for you! If it works, do it. There's many ways to kill a cat. I've tried several. At the end of the day, the cat Is dead. :grin:

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I've repaired mine with a heat gun before. Works amazingly for light scuffs. My front splitter looks better now than it did when I bought it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts