Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well on my way home tonight I finally came across an SRT-8 Challenger and after a closer look I am not as fond of the car as I though I would be, I like the front view and the side view but the back view is horrible. The stance could use some work, if anyone thought the back end of their Shelby was high the Challenger is worse. The car has potential but I know most people are waiting for those 09's so they can get a stick shift. I don't think the guy realized my car was a Shelby (I am sure he thought " oh I am going to smoke this gt") but the beautiful whine of the supercharger crushed his hopes :roller: and I am sure from now on he will be more attentive as to whether the mustang next to him has a Snake on the side or not. Stock for stock all I have to say is bring it Dodge and bring it Chevy because the SRT8's ans the SS camaro's won't do any damage and I know that when my KB blower is set up those "other" guys will just be crying :cry:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yep, they don't like it when they figure out what happens. I was on the way to work the other morning when an orange one revved at me at a stoplight, he didn't quite know what to think when I pulled him by at least four cars. We both stopped at the same coffee joint and he was a bit surprised to see the snakes all over my car. He commented about how fast it was, I told him I thought the challengers were cute, he made a face and walked off.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think the styling of the car absolutely rocks. I have an '09 R/T (5.7 Hemi) on order with a 6-speed and Track Pak. I didn't spring for the SRT with the big Hemi because I didn't want to pay the extra price for it, plus the gas guzzler tax on top of that. And I think the R/T will be a more balanced car with less weight in front.

I know it won't be as fast as my Shelby, but I don't care. It will still be a fun car to drive.

·
Registered
208 Posts
only 425 hp no blower. massive looking engine under the hood just something missing on top like a big ol blower.

I like the looks of the car. Just disappointed in the low HP.

LLoyd

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think the styling of the car absolutely rocks. I have an '09 R/T (5.7 Hemi) on order with a 6-speed and Track Pak. I didn't spring for the SRT with the big Hemi because I didn't want to pay the extra price for it, plus the gas guzzler tax on top of that. And I think the R/T will be a more balanced car with less weight in front.

I know it won't be as fast as my Shelby, but I don't care. It will still be a fun car to drive.
You're gonna be needing a "My Other Car is a GT500" bumper sticker.

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Considering a gt500 has 500 hp out of the box. It's suppose to be a remake of a former muscle car. The engine just looks massive under the hood. Plop a s/c on top of that motor and you will have a muscle car.

Yes 425 hp disappoints me

LLoyd

·
Registered
208 Posts
also isn't that a 6.7 liter engine , considering our gt500 are only 5.4 liters and mustang gt is 4.6

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had the same just happen to me this weekend, this guy had his girl in the car and just wouldn't stop....I know he didn't know...so to save a little face, I finally let him jump me by 2 lengths before I came out in 2nd and it was over as quick as it started....it wasn't even close for my stage I and Nitto INVOs.
I really didn't like doing it. But he wouldn't give up.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I was beat on the track last Friday by a Mustang GT. He had a Built 4.6 TT with a Six Speed. 4.10 gears. I cut him 2/10 on the tree and 3/10 on the 60' He ran me down at 132mph to my 122mph. He beat me by a few .00s. Some mods to the SRT8s and they will be very fast. But you would still have a Dodge. I'd rather Hang myself.

·
Registered
933 Posts
also isn't that a 6.7 liter engine , considering our gt500 are only 5.4 liters and mustang gt is 4.6
Hi Lloyd,

The Hemis are either 5.7 (345HP) or 6.1 (425HP SRT8). There may not be any room under the hood to put a blower (supercharger) on the 6.1 Hemi. That engine is massive and takes up every inch of the engine bay. I'm sure that if they were to add a supercharger, then the HP would probably be closer to 600. Insane!

Arbour88

·
Registered
208 Posts
Arbour
You are correct about the physical size of that engine it is massive. I didn't realize there were two hemi options.
lets go Dodge put a blower on that bad boy
The car is just beautiful.

LLoyd

·
Registered
235 Posts
There are blown 6.1 Hemis out there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have seen SRT8 Chargers that are blown, but with a compression ratio of 10.3:1 you probably can't apply too much boost.
True, nor are the internals forged. Prolly need to forge internals, lower CR and upgrade fuel system. Gonna add some weight as well. I figure at least 12 - 15K to do it right. Guy spends that he should have a fast car.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts