Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evo TVS Stg2 Owners.....

Experiencing what appears to be surges while either running at steady speeds, or when i slightly backoff the throttle. Feels like not getting fuel, or firing and wants to die. Speed range isn't a factor, does it whether in the city or on the highway. Checked all connections, no leaks, wires all good. Running average 30 to 45 fuel pressure. Also noticed the fuel pressure being slightly irratic. Any clues? Fred..chime in please.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Evo TVS Stg2 Owners.....

Experiencing what appears to be surges while either running at steady speeds, or when i slightly backoff the throttle. Feels like not getting fuel, or firing and wants to die. Speed range isn't a factor, does it whether in the city or on the highway. Checked all connections, no leaks, wires all good. Running average 30 to 45 fuel pressure. Also noticed the fuel pressure being slightly irratic. Any clues? Fred..chime in please.
Do you think the hood could be a factor? I read on TS that someone with the KR or SN hood had to put in a baffle to reduce wind turbulance. It confused the air flow meter. I saw Ati's car Friday and he had a baffle in his for that very reason.

I'm not having any problems with mine. (knock on wood) I'm still using the JLT CAI and the stock blower.

Cal

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Evo TVS Stg2 Owners.....

Do you have a mono-blade throttle body? I've heard of some similar issues. Actually, I have a bit of surging with my mono-blade when running at constant speeds at low rpm (around 1900 rpm).

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you think the hood could be a factor? I read on TS that someone with the KR or SN hood had to put in a baffle to reduce wind turbulance. It confused the air flow meter. I saw Ati's car Friday and he had a baffle in his for that very reason.

I'm not having any problems with mine. (knock on wood) I'm still using the JLT CAI and the stock blower.

Cal
I read that too. When i was using JLT and stock SC, had no issues. It could be, hopefully Fred will enlighten me.

Do you have a mono-blade throttle body? I've heard of some similar issues. Actually, I have a bit of surging with my mono-blade when running at constant speeds at low rpm (around 1900 rpm).
Still running stock throttle body. Speeds didn't matter, just more noticable on the highway with less stops.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx. i did clean it all up during the TVS install. Guess i could take another look at it. But only been running the TVS a little over a week now (drive mainly weekends only, if not raining), shouldn't be that dirty. Actually only driven four times since install.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Cal
You know Cal, it could be that Fred's tune is set up for the stock hood, and not these (with the increased amount of air) being forced into the intake. Wonder if Fred will need to re-tune taking the hood into consideration. :ack:

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
You know Cal, it could be that Fred's tune is set up for the stock hood, and not these (with the increased amount of air) being forced into the intake. Wonder if Fred will need to re-tune taking the hood into consideration. :ack:
I think you should stick something up in the hole :)simmadown: ) to restrict the air flow and see if it helps.

If so, a baffle would be in order.:roller:

Cal

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts

tryed that still have a serge....

·
Registered
544 Posts
Evo TVS Stg2 Owners.....

Just a thought.......who else that has this prob is using the 72lbs injectors????

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had the problem with a ram air hood as well. My case is a KR hood. Solution was to rotate the heat deflector on the JLT clockwise such that air blowing in from the ram air could not blow directly on the filter element. Surge went away when the turbulance distorting the air flow at the sensor was removed.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Problem solved.....
Installed a prototype baffle made from plastic corner molding, cut to fit, and screwed together. Then caulked it in (didn't want to drill through the hood). Test drove on the higway...:D :D :D...ran smooth as silk. No more surging. Now it's time to do the final version with slight modifications.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Problem solved.....
Installed a prototype baffle made from plastic corner molding, cut to fit, and screwed together. Then caulked it in (didn't want to drill through the hood). Test drove on the higway...:D :D :D...ran smooth as silk. No more surging. Now it's time to do the final version with slight modifications.
I hope you made 5 of them! Fred, Kerry, BJ and I may need to do the same thing in the future.:D
Your a regular Mcguiver!:thinkerg:
Glad that solved the problem.:bigthumb:

Cal

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts