Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,634 Posts
It is indeed on an entirely different level than any other auto shifting Mustang or pony car for that matter, no doubt about that. But it’s not some magical new formula.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,483 Posts
But it’s not some magical new formula.
It sure seems like it to me. “Track Mode” in the 2020 GT500 makes the car a total animal... unlike anything I’ve experienced before. It’s like combining the awesomeness of a super car and the visceral feel of a muscle car in one magical combination.

Reactions: 03reptile

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,454 Posts
Interesting discussion! I agree with both Tim and Eric (go figure?). It definitely requires more "skill" and "ability" to drive a manual on a road course or 1/4 mile event. The DCT does shift faster, and lap after lap, it's going to have the edge. As Tim says, it frees one up for correct line and braking points. The ability of the DCT to make an average driver "feel" superior and actually lay down better times is probably accurate. Porsche has the right marketing idea; just make a customer feel like he/she is more competent, and as a result, sell more cars! Whala! How many current F-1 cars have a manual? Zip! They are looking at winning, period. From my perspective, honing your manual transmission skills to achieve better times, hit the apex just perfectly, and be in the right gear, is more self satisfying than letting a DCT do the heavy lifting, as Eric says. In the final analysis, speaking only for myself, it's about the personal "enjoyment" and "self pride" that rings my bell every time with a manual. Just me and the car. I love riding in a manual transmission car with a really good competition driver and watching the ballet of hands, feet, and timing that occurs from years of experience. For most of us, it's that internal grin we get with the manual transmission after approaching, entering and exiting that corner that makes it all worth while.

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,634 Posts
It sure seems like it to me. “Track Mode” in the 2020 GT500 makes the car a total animal... unlike anything I’ve experienced before. It’s like combining the awesomeness of a super car and the visceral feel of a muscle car in one magical combination.
I get that it seems that way to you. You’re a Mustang only guy and therefore are somewhat looking with blinders on. Come outside of the Mustang world and you will quickly learn that it’s nothing new.
Have you driven a turbo Porsche with the PDK? Or how about a GTR, same formula.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,483 Posts
I get that it seems that way to you. You’re a Mustang only guy and therefore are somewhat looking with blinders on. Come outside of the Mustang world and you will quickly learn that it’s nothing new.
Have you driven a turbo Porsche with the PDK? Or how about a GTR, same formula.
Have not driven those cars Eric. I can’t imagine Nissan or Porsche would program the buck/snort/pop craziness into their cars like Ford did with the GT500. Jim Owens from Ford Performance laughed when I told him how crazy awesome that was... he said that was simply programmed into the cars to make it fun and serves no other purpose. Yes, the DCT quick shifting tranny has been done in other cars, but I’ll flip your question right back at you... have you driven a 2020 GT500 in Track Mode to see first hand what I’m talking about...? It’s new, it’s different and it’s insanely fun!

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,634 Posts
Have not driven those cars Eric. I can’t imagine Nissan or Porsche would program the buck/snort/pop craziness into their cars like Ford did with the GT500. Jim Owens from Ford Performance laughed when I told him how crazy awesome that was... he said that was simply programmed into the cars to make it fun and serves no other purpose. Yes, the DCT quick shifting tranny has been done in other cars, but I’ll flip your question right back at you... have you driven a 2020 GT500 in Track Mode to see first hand what I’m talking about...? It’s new, it’s different and it’s insanely fun!
My horizons are already broaden since I have driven the others cars. The point being is the 500 DCT visceral experience isn’t exclusive to Ford and nothing new. Even the Porsche’s have the same snaps, crackles, and pops. I know I know, hard to imagine someone was and has been doing it before Ford.
Jim Owens is a hell of a sales man.
It’s new and mind blowing to you, not others on this planet or forum for that matter. I was blown away my first time in a badass DCT too and it was a 997 turbo with a PDK but I knew better than to think that experience and tech was exclusive to that 997 turbo.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,483 Posts
My horizons are already broaden since I have driven the others cars. The point being is the 500 DCT visceral experience isn’t exclusive to Ford and nothing new. Even the Porsche’s have the same snaps, crackles, and pops. I know I know, hard to imagine someone was and has been doing it before Ford.
Jim Owens is a hell of a sales man.
It’s new and mind blowing to you, not others on this planet or forum for that matter. I was blown away my first time in a badass DCT too and it was a 997 turbo with a PDK but I knew better than to think that experience and tech was exclusive to that 997 turbo.
Well, maybe I’m wrong... maybe Porsche programmed in “muscle car badassery” into their DCT cars as well. What Ford did was blend a super car with a Muscle car and the end result, whether done previously or not, is magical!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts