Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2012 gt500 Vert
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to adapt the 2021 Mach 1 RPM matching to a 2012?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,483 Posts
is it possible to adapt the 2021 Mach 1 RPM matching to a 2012?
What is this feature...? Is it an RPM rev match when down shifting...?

·
Registered
2012 gt500 Vert
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is this feature...? Is it an RPM rev match when down shifting...?
Yes. There would be no need to blip the throtle to match RPMs when downshifting. No more heel and towing. It is electronically done for you. Vettes have it since 2015.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,483 Posts
Yes. There would be no need to blip the throtle to match RPMs when downshifting. No more heel and towing. It is electronically done for you. Vettes have it since 2015.
I can’t imagine new tech like that could be retrofitted to our old cars. Plus, I do enjoy blipping the throttle myself to rev match when driving my stick cars. I’ve never done any “heel toeing.” I just blip and downshift before getting on the brakes.

Reactions: BostonDave

·
Registered
2012 gt500 Vert
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hav

Ive seen videos of Ken Miles heel and toing a GT 40 down the Mulsain Straight coming to the hairpin after 3.2 miles and 220 mph. Its like a ballet. First the heel on the gas, toes on the brake, left on the clutch. Then left heel on the clutch, toe on the brake right on the gas. A beaury to watch.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,483 Posts
paddles have taking the roaf course skills away.
Not sure what “roaf course skills” are, but the tranny in the 2020 allows you to focus on your line as well as brake and acceleration zones. Mental acuity is freed-up to be applied elsewhere.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,483 Posts
Reactions: BostonDave

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,634 Posts
The GT350 community is hoping this will be an upgrade that can be done since the Mach I has the same transmission and likely the same ECU. Probably just need a sensor or two for the trans and drive by wire along with an ECU update.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,483 Posts
Meant road course skills. Fat finger.
Paddles take road course skills away like electric starters take starting skills away.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,483 Posts
that’s an apples to oranges comparison. Not even close. WAY more skill needed to drive a road course fast in a manual.
Can’t argue that driving a manual on a road course is more challenging... completely agree! However, claiming that “paddles take road course skills away” is simply not true. The DCT allows you to focus on your race line and brake/acceleration zones. You can hone your skills in these areas with renewed focus. You end up going into turns hotter and coming out faster, both of which require a certain level of “skill.”

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,634 Posts
You end up going into turns hotter and coming out faster, both of which require a certain level of “skill.”
The DCT can make almost anyone fast that can follow a race line and deal with braking zones. It takes a true artist and highly skilled person to wield the manual in the same way. Not taking away skills required to road course anything fast, just the DCT is an easy button in most cases.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,483 Posts
The DCT can make almost anyone fast that can follow a race line and deal with braking zones. It takes a true artist and highly skilled person to wield the manual in the same way. Not taking away skills required to road course anything fast, just the DCT is an easy button in most cases.
As a pilot, I’ll give this analogy:

It would take a seriously skilled fighter pilot in an F16 to beat a fighter pilot in an F22 or F35. The F22/F35 has much more tech going for it and yes, it makes the pilots look good in those planes. I wouldn’t call piloting an F35 or F22 easy, they just have much more available to the pilots for them to execute their mission as flawlessly as possible.

In the case of a GT350 vs. a GT500 battling on a road course, you’d need a seriously skilled driver in the 350 to have a chance at beating an average driver in a 500. It’s just as different as the jets mentioned above.

Hopefully this isn’t received as bashing the GT350 or any other 3-pedal car... I love them all! The 2020 is just a different beast when it comes to the road course. It is brutally fast on the straights/in the turns/all day long.

Reactions: 03reptile

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,634 Posts
As a pilot, I’ll give this analogy:

It would take a seriously skilled fighter pilot in an F16 to beat a fighter pilot in an F22 or F35. The F22/F35 has much more tech going for it and yes, it makes the pilots look good in those planes. I wouldn’t call piloting an F35 or F22 easy, they just have much more available to the pilots for them to execute their mission as flawlessly as possible.

In the case of a GT350 vs. a GT500 battling on a road course, you’d need a seriously skilled driver in the 350 to have a chance at beating an average driver in a 500. It’s just as different as the jets mentioned above.

Hopefully this isn’t received as bashing the GT350 or any other 3-pedal car... I love them all! The 2020 is just a different beast when it comes to the road course. It is brutally fast on the straights/in the turns/all day long.
This isn’t about which one is faster. We know that story, not sure how that gets into the mix so often. Are you secretly getting paid by Ford to hype and promote the 2020?

That average joe blow driver that could do a respectable lap in the 500 couldn’t come close to pushing a manual 350 with the same vigor or confidence. The DCT and ECU are doing all the heavy lifting so anyone can think they’re fast.
Porsche figured out the dct trickery way before Ford and has been making mediocre drivers feel like hero’s for a very long time . Put that same driver in a manual and more times than not he/she couldn’t beat a Camry around some twisties.

·
Registered
2012 gt500 Vert
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Boy did i stirred up a hornets nest. I do agree, elrctronics makes heros out of mediocre drivers.
Guess back to my original question, no chance of adapting rev matching to my 2012 vert.

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,907 Posts
I can do a little heel/toe action, but don't drive hard often enough to get really good at it. A couple years ago @fletchffletch mentioned an electronic gizmo called an AutoBlip that will blip the throttle when you are on the brakes and push in the clutch. Not perfect rev matching, but similar.

Auto Blip | Intelligent Downshifts

They have them for GT500's and GT350's. I bought one and I'll give a review if I ever get around to installing it.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,483 Posts
The DCT can make almost anyone fast that can follow a race line and deal with braking zones.
This isn’t about which one is faster. We know that story, not sure how that gets into the mix so often. Are you secretly getting paid by Ford to hype and promote the 2020?

That average joe blow driver that could do a respectable lap in the 500 couldn’t come close to pushing a manual 350 with the same vigor or confidence. The DCT and ECU are doing all the heavy lifting so anyone can think they’re fast.
Porsche figured out the dct trickery way before Ford and has been making mediocre drivers feel like hero’s for a very long time . Put that same driver in a manual and more times than not he/she couldn’t beat a Camry around some twisties.
I was talking about being fast around the track since you brought it up.

Again, no argument from me that driving a 3-pedal car around a road course requires a higher level of skill to match the speeds/time of a DCT equipped similar car. The new tech is amazing!

...and for the record, no, I am not paid to hype the GT500. This is a GT500 forum and I have owned one, that is why I hype up the latest offering. It’s on an entirely different level.

Reactions: fletchffletch
1 - 20 of 27 Posts