Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
37,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congratulations to @CollectedDust for being FordGT500’s May 2020 ROTM! Here is his story and his fabulous Performance Blue 2020:

Having only been a member here for 9 months, and only actually owning a GT500 for one of those months, I’m thrilled at the opportunity of being featured as the May ROTM. Like so many of us here, owning a Shelby was an item on my bucket list. I crossed that item off my list last month after purchasing a Performance Blue 2020 Shelby GT500 on March 2nd.

The first car I ever owned was a red ’94 Mustang. It had the little V6 engine, which I successfully destroyed before it ever hit 70k miles. That did not stop me from purchasing a green ’00 Mustang as my second vehicle. Unfortunately, I did not learn my lesson the first time and once again purchased a V6 that I destroyed before crossing 70k miles. Make no mistake, most of that likely had to do with the fact that I drove my first Mustangs as if they were Shelby’s on a race track. It also didn’t hurt that I managed to hit a fast food drive through, two houses, and an uncountable number of other stationary objects with these cars. I would like to emphasize that no moving objects were harmed during my terrible early years behind the wheel.

After that I started my family, decided to stop hitting things, and made the practical move away from sports cars. Fast forward many years, and I was finally in the financial position that I could afford to purchase a car not intended for daily driving. Rumors of the GT500 coming back were just starting, and I quickly knew that would be the car I purchased.

Shortly after the 2020 GT500 order banks opened last July, I called literally every dealer in my state. I eventually settled for a local dealer at a price I was not crazy with but could stomach, and ordered the car in mid-July. Without going into too many details, this dealer turned out to be very difficult to work with. For example, I wanted the vehicle in performance blue, yet they ordered it in velocity blue and told me it couldn’t be changed (I later learned through folks here that it could have been changed since it was sitting in unscheduled material hold).

As of March 2nd, the car I ordered was still sitting in unscheduled material hold. That morning, I went online and saw that a dealership in Chicago had a GT500 extremely similar to what I ordered sitting in their showroom. I learned that the car was still available, and the price was far below my existing order. My first reaction was to call my dealer and see if they’d match the price; they said “no” and I said “goodbye and good luck!”

At that point, I did what any rational adult would do: I left work, purchased a one-way plane ticket to Chicago, hopped in an Uber, and was at the dealership by 3pm. I purchased the car that same day, saved a ton of money over the car I ordered, and spent about 4 and a half hours driving it home that evening. Never in a million years did I think that was how I would spend my day; it was an incredible experience I will never forget.

The only thing I’ve done to the car thus far, other than installing the splitter wickers, was to get it coated with four layers of Ceramic Pro 9H. I’d like to get the windows tinted soon, but will be hesitant to do any mods that would void the warranty. After the warranty period ends, all bets are off!

To wrap this up, I’d be remiss if I didn’t thank everyone here for all the help, input, and friendly dialog. I had so many questions after starting down the path of purchasing this car, and this forum was my go-to place to get information along the way on everything from the GT500 order process, to purchasing a lift and epoxy coating my garage. Thank you all. - Jason

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,003 Posts
Congratulations on being chosen, Jason. That is a beautiful color and obviously a great car that so many folks wish they had in their garage. Glad you were able to negotiate an immediate purchase and had the distinct pleasure of telling the not so truthful dealership you would not be purchasing a car from them! Immediate gratification trumps waiting....most of the time! 😊 Enjoy you new Shelby!

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
1,168 Posts
Uh oh the 20's are making it to ROTM. :D Congrats simply a beautiful car. I am sure you are having a blast with it. Glad it worked out. You wonder about dealers sometimes. 🙄

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,916 Posts
Congrats on ROTM Jason!
Funny stories about the old Mustangs. And even better story about the deal coming together on the 2020.
Looking forward to our central Indiana group get together!

·
Premium Member
2008 Vista Blue with White Stripes
1,050 Posts
Congratulations. If I ever decide to change up from my 2008 GT500, I'd pretty much be looking for one identical to yours. What a beautiful car. Congratulations on ROTM

Reactions: CollectedDust

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
@CollectedDust

I cannot determine the neighborhood, but I will find you one day soon! 😇

Knosing the city and state we live in, your dealership story is about par for the course From my experiences in this oh so backwards state. Your experience of flying to chicago, catching and Uber, buying car and driving home is a bucket list. Iwould prefer father from Indy for the experience, but I have dreamed of your exact one. How bloody cool!

When you are up for it, we will hook up and try to find some roads up here in flatland to have some fun.

cheers mate

Dave

·
Super Moderator
2021 GT500 Iconic Silver
5,762 Posts
Congrats!!! Beautiful 2020, man, just beautiful. I think that has become my front runner as far as colors go. Can't put my finger on what it is about that color but man that is SHARP.

·
Registered
2010 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with Silver Stripes. Gen3 VMP
302 Posts
Absolutely beautiful car!

The way it all came together, and saving money on top of everything, is a helluva story!

Congrats on the car and being chosen as a ROTM.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,472 Posts
FPB was the color I chose in Tim's color thread. Loved it since I saw it up close on a Raptor. I was very surprised more people didn't pick it. Beautiful car and congrats Jason.

·
Registered
2007 Shelby GT-500 Performance White with Vista Blue LeMans and Side Stripes
997 Posts
Car looks great....congratulations.

70K - destroyed two V6's ouch.

Prorated, you should have 93.3k miles on this. ;)

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,156 Posts
Congrats Jason, cool story. You never know what a day has in store for you. You fit right in with the Shelby community. You worked hard for this, enjoy every second of it. Excellent color comb I might add.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Congratulations to @CollectedDust for being FordGT500’s May 2020 ROTM! Here is his story and his fabulous Performance Blue 2020:

Having only been a member here for 9 months, and only actually owning a GT500 for one of those months, I’m thrilled at the opportunity of being featured as the May ROTM. Like so many of us here, owning a Shelby was an item on my bucket list. I crossed that item off my list last month after purchasing a Performance Blue 2020 Shelby GT500 on March 2nd.

View attachment 199857

The first car I ever owned was a red ’94 Mustang. It had the little V6 engine, which I successfully destroyed before it ever hit 70k miles. That did not stop me from purchasing a green ’00 Mustang as my second vehicle. Unfortunately, I did not learn my lesson the first time and once again purchased a V6 that I destroyed before crossing 70k miles. Make no mistake, most of that likely had to do with the fact that I drove my first Mustangs as if they were Shelby’s on a race track. It also didn’t hurt that I managed to hit a fast food drive through, two houses, and an uncountable number of other stationary objects with these cars. I would like to emphasize that no moving objects were harmed during my terrible early years behind the wheel.

View attachment 199858

After that I started my family, decided to stop hitting things, and made the practical move away from sports cars. Fast forward many years, and I was finally in the financial position that I could afford to purchase a car not intended for daily driving. Rumors of the GT500 coming back were just starting, and I quickly knew that would be the car I purchased.

View attachment 199859

Shortly after the 2020 GT500 order banks opened last July, I called literally every dealer in my state. I eventually settled for a local dealer at a price I was not crazy with but could stomach, and ordered the car in mid-July. Without going into too many details, this dealer turned out to be very difficult to work with. For example, I wanted the vehicle in performance blue, yet they ordered it in velocity blue and told me it couldn’t be changed (I later learned through folks here that it could have been changed since it was sitting in unscheduled material hold).

View attachment 199860

As of March 2nd, the car I ordered was still sitting in unscheduled material hold. That morning, I went online and saw that a dealership in Chicago had a GT500 extremely similar to what I ordered sitting in their showroom. I learned that the car was still available, and the price was far below my existing order. My first reaction was to call my dealer and see if they’d match the price; they said “no” and I said “goodbye and good luck!”

View attachment 199861

View attachment 199862

View attachment 199863

At that point, I did what any rational adult would do: I left work, purchased a one-way plane ticket to Chicago, hopped in an Uber, and was at the dealership by 3pm. I purchased the car that same day, saved a ton of money over the car I ordered, and spent about 4 and a half hours driving it home that evening. Never in a million years did I think that was how I would spend my day; it was an incredible experience I will never forget.

View attachment 199871

The only thing I’ve done to the car thus far, other than installing the splitter wickers, was to get it coated with four layers of Ceramic Pro 9H. I’d like to get the windows tinted soon, but will be hesitant to do any mods that would void the warranty. After the warranty period ends, all bets are off!

View attachment 199865

To wrap this up, I’d be remiss if I didn’t thank everyone here for all the help, input, and friendly dialog. I had so many questions after starting down the path of purchasing this car, and this forum was my go-to place to get information along the way on everything from the GT500 order process, to purchasing a lift and epoxy coating my garage. Thank you all. - Jason

View attachment 199866

View attachment 199857

View attachment 199858

View attachment 199859

View attachment 199860

View attachment 199861

View attachment 199862

View attachment 199863

View attachment 199871

View attachment 199865

View attachment 199866
Would you have dealer drill a self tapper on top holes for future license plate prior to delivery?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
37,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Would you have dealer drill a self tapper on top holes for future license plate prior to delivery?
I drilled my rear plate holes myself. I don’t run a front plate and didn’t drill those holes.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
37,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree.Im sure the dealer will do it right by a manual hole start on top holes to avoid walking possibilities with the self tapper using a drill..

Thanks
I used a drill with a drill bit to make the holes versus relying on the self taping screws.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts