Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Congratulations to @Gr8fulmtnbiker for being FordGT500's May 2018 ROTM! Here is his story and his fantastic 2014!:

So here is the easy part- saying THANK YOU for selecting my 2014 GT500 as the forum's Ride Of The Month for May 2018. Hopefully by now most of us are exiting a long and painful winter without our rides and entering a driving season full of new and exciting adventures. For those of you who know not of what is this winter I speak, well :blah: !

And now for the hard part- writing the rest of this. Given the significant amount of tremendous cars all of you have in this forum, I am humbled to have been selected for this month's ROTM. At the ripe age of 47, I have been blessed to have been the owner of over 30 cars (every single one of them a manual transmission), trucks and motorcycles- truth be told, I have always had to have something with excessive speed. My Dad was a Corvette guy (I always hated their FORD SUCKS t-shirts)- his first a red/white 1965 that was stolen on its first overnight trip while parked under a street light in center city Philadelphia. He taught me how to drive with his beautifully custom painted and built engine 4 speed manual 1974 Stingray with T tops and loud @$$ side pipes- man I miss that car and the calf burns I used to get when exiting the vehicle after rides. My first car was a 1985 Honda Prelude Si with a 1.8L engine and a whopping 100+ horsepower- how times have changed.

It would take forever for me to go through the vehicles I have had, so I will cut to the chase and get down to where things stand with my Shelby GT500. It started back in 2011 when I passed by a magazine stand and noticed a cover story of the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 and the expected horsepower that that thing was to bring to the table to go after the Camaro ZL1. I remember my eyes popping at seeing 650+ horsepower and 200+ mph! Given that I finally was in a financial position to buy myself a fun car, my search had started a few years prior to seeing that article- nothing really excited me until that day. When the car was finally released to showroom floors I took a ride to the closest SVT dealership I could find (an hour plus drive from my house) just to see it. I knew there was going to be a frenzy so I got there before the dealership opened (turns out I was not the only one with that idea). When I saw it- wow factor love at first sight! I knew then and there that I had to have one. The only problem- it was the first release of the new design/engine/etc and I had always been taught to never ever buy a car of that magnitude when first released- let the kinks be worked out and then benefit from the improvements. It was hard to fathom there would actually be kinks and/or improvements to that beauty, but I held firm even after a wicked test drive- the sound, the speed, the acceleration, it was all like nothing I had ever seen or heard or felt before. Sensory overload. But I walked away and waited for the 2014...and waited...and waited...all the while befriending the general manager of the dealership so that when the time came I would be first in line for my choice of colors- the traditional white with blue stripes, or black with matte black stripes.

The black one came first so I pounced- picked it up just as it was dropped from the truck, no wash, no prep- drove it home the long way so we could get acquainted (turned a 1 hour trip into almost 4 hours, pulled into my driveway in the dark and tucked it away in the garage for the night). After an awfully restless 'sleep' I got out of bed in the morning fully prepared to spend an entire Saturday cleaning it up inside and out- that is where my OCD got the best of me. After it was washed later that morning I noticed the entire front end was basically covered with rail dust- YIKES! I stopped my cleaning project---so I drove back to the dealership and they said that they would put their 'detailers' on it- well, after all the horror stories I have heard about dealership 'detailers' I was not at all comfy with that suggestion so I asked if I could have my trusty body shop do it and they pay for it- they were having none of that. Even the GM stiff-armed me in front of my salesman but said we would work something out. So, I brought it to the body shop and they told me that the rail dust was so embedded into the clearcoat that it might remove most of it down to the paint in order to correct it- plus the stripes were wrecked and would have to be replaced...this was the worst possible news given how excited I was to finally have this car in my possession.

So next I brought it back to the dealership and gave them my saga- the car was black and anyone who has ever owned a black car knows how notorious it is for revealing imperfections. After venting, I asked what the chances were of securing a white one with blue stripes for a trade. They thought I was nuts, and they were right. They told me I would eat thousands of dollars on a trade, but it just so happens that they had one in the corner of their other dealership because another buyer fell through. What were the odds of that? It must have been destiny- banged out the paperwork and after taking some pics of them side by side in the dealership's garage I was on my way. I figured the few thousands of dollars I lost overnight would have been spent fixing imperfections so I talked myself into believing it was a wash. I was too excited to care. Same as last time I took the long way home and arrived after dark. It turns out I was more in love with the white/blue color scheme anyway, so all was beautiful in my world.

DCB7C6F2-71BA-4891-AD34-939EC6772972.jpeg

Within a couple of months I bought new wheels/tires and found and joined this forum- that is when the car would never be the same. Y'all corrupted me with your damn mod bugs. It started out gradually with hood struts and mud flaps. Then splitters. Then it migrated into the engine bay and BJ and Van accommodated. Before I knew it I was learning how to swap out my supercharger, TB, pulley, CAI, tunes, etc etc etc.- all with the help of a few members and vendors here. Thank you! Then it was a painted radiator cover to match the exterior, then it was pinstripes.

6A315D36-00C3-416B-9334-B7A32417A31A.jpeg

8751799A-FD0E-4E35-A8E4-B7DE653A4FCC.jpeg

454B815D-E239-4C64-A072-3AFDF2CBC0DB.jpg

421924C2-C9DD-4A94-B9BC-F8ECA4AB557E.jpg

This past winter I kept busy with a bunch of projects- painted calipers, more custom wheels, new tires, new pinstripes, new angry sounding mufflers, lowering springs and some other suspension stuff, paint correction, ceramic coating, paint protection film, replaced all of the black plastic splitters and front lip and rear diffuser and front grills and hood vent and license plate surround with carbon fiber, replaced the grille snake with a red painted one, and I think that is about it.

9E4B0C6A-DA5E-4D09-BC8A-C6D2ADC42868.jpg

CC0D8565-AACE-4C9F-AABC-7923FF3734A9.jpeg

Well this has been quite a challenge to write- I hope at least some of you were able to get through this and see the pictures of progression. It was actually fun going over my history with this beast and reminiscing how it got to today. Thank you again for making her the ROTM and I look forward to all of our future ROTMs.

A5B1B14A-AD89-404C-8ACB-8D5BD8E11309.jpg

089BC6DF-9AFF-40F4-80F7-5F4D470D0CDF.jpeg

"I love raising animals. I look at animals as more perfect human beings. I can relate to an animal." Carroll Shelby

51462B44-B6E5-4182-9821-FCC5402E59A4.jpeg

Some of the mods (most likely very incomplete):

VMP Gen2 with custom tune
2.4" pulley and 90mm idler
VMP twinjet 67MM TB
JLT CAI 127mm
Roush hood struts
Carbotech ceramic brake pads
JLT passenger side oil separator
JLT painted radiator cover
Anderson Composites and SA carbon fiber goodies (chin, hood vent, splitters all around, rear diffuser, license plate surround, trunk spoiler gurney flap, upper/lower grills)
Ford Racing mufflers with quad chrome tips
Reische 170 thermostat
Strasse custom wheels
Toyo Proxes R888 sneakers
BMR suspension goodies
Eibach Pro springs

A82CB4A9-C825-4071-AB96-22F3D07680B6.jpeg

2B608735-875F-44C7-AA69-3C8CECC07468.jpeg

·
Registered
377 Posts
Congrats on ROTM. Awesome looking car with impressive mod list.

·
Premium Member
7,929 Posts
I hate this Forum also .... it is so corrupting and wreaks havoc on your budget .... I'm glad you survived it and your car still runs .... :lol: :lol:

CONGRATS on the ROTM .... VERY cool car !!! :)

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,332 Posts
Congrats on the selection, Kevin. You picked the right color! No swirl marks! You've done a lot over the years and it certainly shows! Nice modifications that don't take away from the mission of the car. I'm assuming you don't ever park it overnight in downtown Philly!! I'll bet that was an ugly discovery scene! Great looking car, and now that you've got it just the way you want it, it's time to re-ignite your old friendship with the GM so as to order a new 2020 GT500! It never stops!

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,413 Posts
Congrats! Beautiful car and a nice list of mods to make it even better.

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
Congrats on ROTM. Awesome looking car with impressive mod list.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
I hate this Forum also .... it is so corrupting and wreaks havoc on your budget .... I'm glad you survived it and your car still runs .... :lol: :lol:

CONGRATS on the ROTM .... VERY cool car !!! :)

Thanks man. I most likely will never really be done changing things around. Way too many good ideas from this group.

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
Congrats on the selection, Kevin. You picked the right color! No swirl marks! You've done a lot over the years and it certainly shows! Nice modifications that don't take away from the mission of the car. I'm assuming you don't ever park it overnight in downtown Philly!! I'll bet that was an ugly discovery scene! Great looking car, and now that you've got it just the way you want it, it's time to re-ignite your old friendship with the GM so as to order a new 2020 GT500! It never stops!

Ha thank you. Definitely the right color! Yeah it will never see urban streets- learned that lesson the hard way from Dad. I have spoken with the GM and he is now at a different dealership closer to my home, which might be bad. Plan to visit him in the coming months. It never ever stops, you are so right!

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
Congrats, Kevin!!! Thanks for sharing your story -- quite the adventure! :wink:

Those wheels and calipers are just sick, man -- really set off your ride! :rocker:

Thanks bud! Appreciate that.

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts