Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
33,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Congratulations to @Norton for being FordGT500's March 2018 ROTM! Here is his story and his beautiful 2013 black stallion!:

I've had a passion for cars for as long as I can remember. My first was a '69 Camaro that had been my grandfather's. Nothing special - just a stripped-down base model, with a lot of sentimental value.

As a high school student in the mid-80s, I was smitten by the Fox Body Mustang GT. Following college graduation and receiving my commission into the Air Force, I bought my first Mustang - an '89 LX 5.0 Hatchback. She was my unmodified daily driver for eight years, during which time we logged ~70K miles together.

The next chapter began in late-1996, when I decided to test drive a '97 SVT Mustang Cobra. I expected to solidify my belief that upgrading was "unnecessary." It didn't. I ordered one, opting for delivery the following spring. She was an unmodified garage queen for 15 years, during which time we logged ~60K miles together.

Throughout the whole time, I'd kept my '69 Camaro, hoping to eventually restore her into a show (and occasional race) car. Unfortunately, she'd spent her life outside and not far from the Atlantic Ocean. The story there is obvious. When faced with buying/building a new car, one part at-a-time, I was forced to admit the end result would no longer be my grandfather's car. During the ensuing period of mourning, I was fortunate to channel surf across Part III of Velocity's 2012 mini-series about Carroll Shelby, which featured a GT500 Super Snake. This was the beginning of my Shelby "story."

Selling my '69 Camaro and '97 SVT Mustang Cobra made way for a '13 Shelby GT500 Coupe. Originally ordered from Phil Long Ford (Chapel Hills) in Colorado on 18 Jun 12, my order dropped from "#1 of 3" to "#3 of 2" on 19 Sep 12. This forced me to cast a wider net for the car I wanted, from an honest dealer. Thankfully, I found Whitney's Value Ford in Elma, Washington. My son and I flew to Seattle to take delivery.

The staff treated us like royalty, giving me all their 2013 MY GT500 promotional materials (since I bought their one and only allocation) and taking pictures as we drove her off the showroom floor. We made our way home over the next few days, traversing Oregon, Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming on our way back to Colorado. Aside from some inclement weather in eastern Oregon and western Wyoming, it was a great road trip and a good way to break her in. Since then, I've spent a lot of time (and money) making her mine.

Performance Mods include:
- JLT 127mm CF Intake
- CFM Twin Jet 67mm Throttle Body
- BPS Oversized & Ported Plenum/Elbow
- VMP 2.4" Upper Pulley and 90mm Idler
- NGK TR7-IX Spark Plugs
- VMP Triple Pass-Dual Fan Heat Exchanger and Reische 170' Thermostat
- Vent-mounted nGauge (previously a Roush Vent Gauge Pod w/AeroForce Interceptor)
- Elite Performance & Tuning (Littleton, CO) dyno tune yielding 733 RWHP & 713 RWTQ
- Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires on Base Wheels
- Bob's Oil Separator
- MGW Shifter
- Revan Racing Stainless Steel Brake and Clutch Lines
- Clutch-Assist Spring Removed
- BEL Pro500 Radar/Laser Detector on a Blendmount
- Boyo Front and Rear Cameras, integrated via Sync Lockpick
- Amsoil Lubricants

Appearance Mods include:
- Revan Racing Reservoirs
- Shelby Billet Engine Caps
- Powder Coated Coil Covers
- JLT Painted Radiator Cover
- FRPP Strut Tower Brace (recently removed to make way for 127mm CF intake)
- Jaeger Bros Stone Guards
- VLED 5K Driving Lights
- True Forged Heat Extractor
- Redline Tuning QuickLIFT PLUS Hood Struts
- SOS Triple Gauge Pod w/Ford Racing Gauges
- Viper Ultra Tint
- LED Map, License Plate, and Trunk Lights
- Raxiom Tail Light Sequencer
- Mustang GT Leather Steering Wheel
- WeatherTech Floor Liners for routine use / Lloyd Floor Mats for shows
- Shelby Dash Plaque
- CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna
- Adam's Detailing Supplies

We've logged over 22K miles together, participating in countless car shows along the Front Range and four (1/2-mile and 1-mile) race events. She's earned numerous Best in Class and several Runner Up awards at the shows. She was featured on the cover of the USAF Academy's September/October 2014 "Blast" magazine. She's also won many of the races in which we've participated, reaching over 170MPH a few times. Future mods will likely include Gtechniq ceramic coat, Shelby (Super Snake) Wilwood Big Brake Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, and an upgraded clutch (trying to decide between Centerforce, Mantic, and McLeod). Future activities I'm considering, in addition to a slate of perennial shows, include the Silver State Classic and the Texas Mile.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,600 Posts
Re: ROTM March ‘18, Norton’s ‘13 black stallion!

Congrats on the March ROTM win, well deserved..

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts

I enjoyed reading your story and congratulations on the ROTM. Very tasteful mod list and a beautiful car!

Reactions: Norton

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts

Great story!, Great Car!, Great Guy! Congrats Norton!

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,722 Posts

Well! A little more info is now available from mystery man, Norton! LOL! Great story of your car history and how you came to be a Ford guy! Lots of interesting mods to your car and great story of your acquisition of the 2013 with your son. Assuming you went to the Air Force Academy? How far are you from Jefferson City, Missouri? Hint hint! You owned some nice cars before settling on the Shelby. Those Fox bodies were decent cars. Loved mine! Thanks for your past and current contributions and guidance on our Forum! You've been a valuable asset, for sure! Congratulations on being picked as a ROTM recipient!

·
Registered
969 Posts

Wow. Terrific & congrats.

·
Banned
7,228 Posts

Congrats on the ROTM. Couldn't happen to a nicer person.

You do not resemble you avatar at all. :grin:

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,156 Posts

Congrats Norton. Well deserved. I love the painted 5.8 and SVT on your blower. Did you do that by hand? What paint did you use? Would you be upset if I took that as a little inspiration?

·
Super Moderator
5,414 Posts

Heck yea, @Norton !!! Congrats! Awesome ride, man! You should be very proud! Thx for sharing your story. Always great to learn about the members here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Norton and Goose17

·
Registered
2013 Deep Impact Blue w/White stripes
920 Posts

Congratulations! Great story, beautiful car, and a knowledgeable and friendly guy.

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts

Congrats on ROTM! Great to get more background on you and your car. Had know idea you had so many great mods. Curious to learn more about your connection to the academy.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,539 Posts

Thank you, all, for your kind words! I'm humbled by the recognition, of both my car and me.

Assuming you went to the Air Force Academy? How far are you from Jefferson City, Missouri? Hint hint!
Curious to learn more about your connection to the academy.
Actually, I earned my commission through ROTC (Det 550 at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in "scenic" Troy, NY). After several years of full-time service, my wife and I both left Active Duty. She didn't look back, but I transitioned to the AF Reserve. I added 7yrs to my Active Duty clock following 9-11, eventually transitioning back to Reserve status and becoming an AF Civilian. In that capacity, I lead the Academy's 10th Communications Squadron, which provides all IT services (e.g., network, phones, land mobile radios, public address, etc) for the installation.

LOL! Not quite 11hrs east, I should have included Shelbyfest on my list of things I'd like to do. The trouble I've had getting there in previous years (and this year) is my Reserve schedule. (I'll be on duty at the Pentagon while you guys and gals are enjoying the festivities.) After I retire from the Reserves, I'll have only my Civilian duties at the Academy to deconflict, which should leave more time for fun.

I love the painted 5.8 and SVT on your blower. Did you do that by hand? What paint did you use? Would you be upset if I took that as a little inspiration?
Thank you! Yes, I painted it by hand, which wasn't as hard as it might sound. I started out with paint pens, but later upgraded to Ford touch-up paints - Race Red (PQ) and Black (UA). It's been on there for a couple of years, and is holding-up really well. Please feel free to take it as inspiration!

·
Registered
228 Posts

Congrats Norton! Great guy and cool car. Thanks for sharing your story although I thought I remembered snow somewhere LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts

Congratulations on the ROTM Norton, beautiful car as always. That paint looks like you could eat off it. Great to finally hear the story behind you and your Black betty. Two thumbs up.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,516 Posts

Congrats on the ROTM, and thank you for the writeup. Your car is pretty loaded, and I wasn't aware that you had done so much to her. Very nice!

·
Registered
2010 GT500, Kona Blue/White Stripes
334 Posts

Congrats Norton, your car looks immaculate!

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500
256 Posts

Heck yea, @Norton !!! Congrats! Awesome ride, man! You should be very proud! Thx for sharing your story. Always great to learn about the members here.

Car looks great and that is sure an impressive mod list you have going. I am also thinking about the Michelin PS4S tires as I have read good things about them

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts