Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Congratulations to @rcbs204 for being FordGT500's August 2018 ROTM! Here is his story and his beautiful 2007!:

Thank you very much for allowing my 07 to join the ranks of these fine automobiles on this page. This forum has been a great resource for information and all the members and mods are standup folks.

I test drove this car while looking for a new F150 and that was all it took. The whine of the blower, even stock, is so sublime! I bought 2 vehicles that day; a new F150 and a one owner 07 GT500... the dealer was smiling his ass off. :grin: I drove the car home and the dealer followed me in the brand-new truck. I'll be damned if I was going to let him drive the Shelby! I drove the car stock for one year until I found this forum and the stock car was no more.

First thing I addressed was the horrible-horrible, what felt like a 100 pound clutch that came with the 07's. With some forum searching, the 50 pound harmonic balancer was changed as well. I do all this work myself as I trust nobody especially with a car that I frequently hotrod. I bought some raceramps and did this all on my back in the garage. Always a good reason to buy more tools - right? I am in engineering by trade. I always like a challenge and much to my surprise, the Mustang has proven especially easy to wrench on. This makes mods much more tempting as there is no labor involved. It may take longer, but I know it is done correctly.

Once I got used to the stock horsepower, which you would think would be sufficient for most people, I could not let it be... in comes VMP and BJ - this dude knows his mustangs. He recommended that I start with a few simple items: a smaller pulley on the blower, throttle body, and JLT intake and a tune. Much to my surprise, this car completely changed! Holy crap! :surprise: Where was this horse power hiding? Now that we added a few extra ponies, some wheel hop started. I changed the LCA’s and that seems to have done the trick on the wheel hop. While I was under there, I installed the aluminum DSS driveshaft and removed yet another way-overweight component.

The car came with some small FRPP mufflers. When I put on the off-road x-pipe, I now had a car that was loud enough to wake all the neighborhood in the morning. I mean to tell you this car was drag strip loud. This lasted about a year as I got out my juvenile yearnings. I just recently installed the Borla Touring mufflers and it is muscle car perfect with the off-road pipe! The exhaust toned down to the perfect rumble until you go WOT. Who knew the blinkers actually made a sound when you turned them on. :laugh:

At 47, I had to dial back the noise and the drone from the FRPP mufflers which was unbearable at 1800-2100 rpm. Since the car was somewhat silenced from the drag strip, I thought some sound mat and a new stereo with front and rear cameras was in order.

I am not one to drill holes in my car so I sought out a new location for the backup camera. Being an engineer with a 3D printer, I designed and printed a new license plate light bracket that includes the camera and the LED’s to light up the plate. This item will soon be for sale to all my Mustang brothers so they do not have to drill holes in their cars. It will be plug and play. The front camera mount is in design as well and I will offer that to the general public as soon as I test fit and install. Let me know if you are at all interested.

Complete list of mods this far:
· JLT PS Catch Can
· 127mm JLT CAI, 67mm VMP TB
· 2.5" Pulley, 90mm Idler
· VMP Triple Pass Heat Exchanger, 3X Coolant Tank, 170 degree stat
· 08 Harmonic Balancer
· MGW GEN II Shifter
· Lethal Off Road X-Pipe
· Tuned by VMP Performance
· SOS Gauge Pod, Fuel-WideBand-Boost/Vac
· Mechman 250 Amp Alternator
· RXT Twin Disk Clutch
· DSS Aluminum Driveline
· BMR LCA
· Kenwood Exelon, All JL audio speakers.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
The backup camera mount is genius, @rcbs204 count me in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,342 Posts
Congrats on your selection! Very tasteful modifications on the 07 Shelby! I had one of these beasts before moving to a 2011 and then a 2013. The mods you made certainly move the car up the scale of a more comfortable and responsive car. I still like the simple and uncluttered body style of the original 2007's. That rear and front camera design looks very clean and unobtrusive! You should have some interest from other members once you've completed the design. Ya can't beat BJ for the consummate " go to" guy for any Shelby GT500 modifications. He is the Guru! Very beautiful car and you are so fortunate to possess the necessary skills to wrench your own modifications and grunt work!! Saves you big bucks!!

·
Registered
2010 GT500, Kona Blue/White Stripes
288 Posts
Congrats on ride of the month & hats off to you for doing that clutch job on you back in the garage!

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
Wow … fantastic car AND owner …. "the boy got skills" is a quote from a movie that comes to mind !!! :lol:

Congrats on the ROTM, and I can see your mailbox filling up with orders on your fantastic engineering work.

(your Montana tag looks different from mine …. :) )

Attachments

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
This is awesome, Thanks guys!!
I will get the camera mount into production really soon. I will have to take a look at the later model years and see if the mount is the same. Either way I can design and print whatever is in the new model year cars as well. I have the camera at the perfect angle right now but I may design small angle shims so the user can adjust the angle to there liking. I did this same kind if thing with my old Tacoma that I bought and I have been selling them on the Tacoma forum for 8 years now. Crazy.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/rcbs204-4x4-illuminated-switch.68173/

I find the manufactures shortcomings and just design it myself. I will likely create a website to sell these if the demand is there.
@Zedeater - Working on my back was definitely a challenge for sure but very gratifying. I actually installed the transmission 3 times when I did this install as this was the first time I have dealt with "torque to yield" bolts. I probably could have gotten away with using the factory flywheel bolts one more time but I just did not want the question mark left there and I really did not want a flywheel and clutch to come ripping through the tunnel. The lesson I learned was buy ARP bolts and don't look back! I think the worst part about the install of clutch was the two top bolts in the bell housing and the stupid little clip on the slave cylinder. But we got her in.

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Congrats on being selected ROTM!

Gotta love a 2007

Impressive DIY projects

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
Congratulations man that is a beautiful car. Tremendous mods and good job on doing the work yourself. Envious skills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Nice!

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
1,062 Posts
Sweet ride..Congtats! I especially like the comment about being able to hear the blinkers. LOL!

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Congrats on ROTM. Beautiful 07. I have an 08 and would love to install the back up cameras. Count me in too!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congratulations man that is a beautiful car. Tremendous mods and good job on doing the work yourself. Envious skills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Congrats on ROTM. Beautiful 07. I have an 08 and would love to install the back up cameras. Count me in too!
If you guys would like a large signature picture vs. the tiny one you currently have, here is how to do it:

https://www.fordgt500.com/forums/5-general-discussion/153834-how-have-large-signature-picture.html

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Great. I would like that, thanks.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Congrats

Love the blue!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,870 Posts
Congrats on ROTM. Great mods and I understand the satisfaction of doing the work yourself. The backup camera mount looks great...well done all the way around!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts