Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
33,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Congratulations to @Mark_L for being FordGT500’s August 2019 ROTM! Here is his story and his fantastic 2008:

Having just joined the forum in early June, I am blown away to be asked to be the August ROTM with being such a new member to the forum. I can’t say enough about the welcome and willingness to share information and advice by the members of this community.

My interest in cars came from growing up on a dairy farm where there is a myriad of machinery, tractors, material handling equipment etc that breaks down and has to be repaired and so at a early age I learned a lot making these repairs or coming up with a fix to keep things going. Around 12, cars started gaining more of an interest and sometimes on a farm for entertainment you take things to the extreme and absurd. I got my hands on a ’52 Plymouth with a flat head 6, we cut the body off completely where just the frame was left. For a field car, it needed to be shorter, so we cut 4’ out of the frame and welded it back together. Welded some piping around the engine to hold critical parts and the radiator. The brakes were rotted and shot so to save money (I had none) I welded a fence post from the brake pedal to the emergency brake linkage (a leather band that wrapped around the driveshaft) and we were good to go. Never had so much fun beating that car around the fields and such.

Some years later and those to come, I would buy many cars that I wish I could have kept like a 1970 Red, White & Blue AMC Rebel ‘Machine’ along with several Mustangs being my favorite. I wish I had pictures of these, but over the course of 40+ years with a stint in the military and overseas for 10 years, they disappeared. Also due to the number of years gone by, I don’t remember too many specifics of what they had or what I did to them. I bought a ’68 Mustang Coupe from my parents, who were not to happy when I cut out the exhaust and threw on some Thrush glass packs. That was about the extent of mods I did with that car. I then followed that with a ’71 Ford Mustang Mach 1 (Pinto Gold) and 2 years later after selling it picked up a ’73 Blue Mach 1.

The ’73 I put on a set of headers, Edelbrook Intake, 780 Holley Carb, recurved distributer (points kept literally falling apart, always carried a spare set). And the 9 & 10” deep dish Craters looked awesome on this car. Eventually I would sell it to purchase other vehicles that yelled ‘Squirrel’, but always longed for a Shelby that was always out of my price range. More years, vehicles, marriage, kids etc would come along and delay my quest to own a Shelby until a year ago.

We were helping our daughter purchase a newer car and this shiny ’08 GT500 Vert on the showroom floor kept getting my attention and I swear poking me when my back was turned. I assumed once again it was out of my range forgetting that it was not a brand new one. While I have a great paying job, new is not an option for me. The salesman and my wife noticed that I kept looking at it and after discussing, looking and a test drive, my wife was shocked when I walked away. I had some other concerns that I was worried about and figured it wasn’t meant to be. A week later I was dropping some papers off at the dealer and the salesman told me that though it was still there a sale was pending. Great, I didn’t have to think about it any longer. Well a week later I get a call from the salesman asking if I was still interested as the pending sale fell through. I drove it home that night.

I drove it a few times before the winter storage kicked in and started making a list of things I wanted to correct or enhance, but something kept bugging me when looking at it. I couldn’t believe it took so long to see it, but as the GT500 verts do not come with Rally stripes, it was obvious that these were put on after by one of the previous owners and guessing the last one. It was apparently a DIY job as the stripes while centered at the front of the car, they were 2” to the right at the windshield. This had to be the first thing to correct. Angles on the front bumper were also not symmetrical.

I pulled the stripes off and found a highly regarded wrap shop nearby that would do some paint correction, apply custom stripes and then a Silver Ceramic Pro package. I couldn’t be happier when I picked it up and saw how good it looked. It was at that point I decided to enter the Northern Star National Mustang Show, a first ever MCA national show to be held in Minnesota and my first ever national show.

Now I had a lot to do to get ready and joined this forum and received a lot of great advice which I needed as I was still learning about this car that only the experienced members could provide. In the end I ended up being awarded Gold which made all the time and money worth it and met a lot of great Mustang owners at the show.

To date since owning the car, I’ve done the paint correction, stripes, ceramic coating, new rims all the way around, drilled/slotted StopTech rotors with Duralast Max ceramic pads. Oil Catch Can, Sto N Sho license plate mount, Headliner repaired, new battery, battery blanket and tray. Remaining on the to-do list is rear shocks and front struts, possible adjustable panhard bar as the axle seems to be a ½” to the drivers side.

Not going to say further what else I might do going forward at this point and sure that I will, but time will tell as wild hairs can occur at anytime and I need to gather more information and prioritize what’s next.

Again thank you for this opportunity and all the great input I’ve received from the members here.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,558 Posts
Beautiful car, and if you stick around here long enough, we'll help spend your money on additional mods. Congrats!

Reactions: Mark_L

·
Premium Member
2011 SVTPP Ingot Silver
110 Posts
I love the color and you have done a great job giving this car the love it deserves. Good story also. I remember my first car driving experience as a 12 year old, in a beat up "field car" that a cousin had, smashing through harvested corn fields. Good memories.

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,945 Posts
Welcome to the forum & the ROTM club! That car has some nice touches and you’ve given it the TLC it deserves. Well done!

·
Registered
'11 Sterling Gray GT500 '13 DIB GT Prem. 'Vert.
182 Posts
Beautiful car; congrats!

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,698 Posts
Grabber Orange will always be one of my favorite colors. I love orange performance cars. You don’t see GT500’s very often in this killer color.

You’ve done a fantastic job getting it ready for presentation. Excellent attention to detail.

Congratulations and well done.

·
Registered
2010 GT500, Kona Blue/White Stripes
299 Posts
Congrats on being ROTM! That first pic of the rear 3/4 of the car looks amazing.

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
1,097 Posts
Congratulations @Mark_L You have a beautiful car there. Or should we call you macgyver.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Grabber Orange will always be one of my favorite colors. I love orange performance cars. You don’t see GT500’s very often in this killer color.

You’ve done a fantastic job getting it ready for presentation. Excellent attention to detail.

Congratulations and well done.
Ditto on what Eric said. Beautiful car, awesome color, so clean!!!

Congrats! (y)

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,602 Posts
Congratulations on your selection! Beautiful convertible! Nice touches with the colored accents in the interior. Looks like the previous owner gave you a break by taking such good care of an older car.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Congrats on the ROTM. Love the color and would be a big hit in Tennessee fo the UT VOLS fans.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Beautiful car and congrats on ROTM! The story on the stripes seems to be more common than one would expec. The previous owner of my 2012 GT500 had a set of American Muscle Red stripes put on and they werenot only put on terribly, they looked like hell! I The VERY first thing I did as well was have the stripes taken off and the pain touched up where needed so that it was back to it's Factory Built status (Decal Delete!). Below is the before and
afer...

20180810_144339.jpg

IMG_20180911_181556.jpg

Next on the list is to get rid of those damn SVT wheels. I can't stand em for some strange reason. I want a set of Foose Concave's!

·
Registered
2012 Kona Blue SVTPP GT500
133 Posts
Congrats! Hands down my personal favorite color and yours is nicely done on top!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Congrats on the ROTM, nice job on the vert, looks awesome.
To be honest, I think the 07-09 convertible GT500 are the BEST GT500's BUILT :cool:
I am a little bias mind you but, truth is the truth.

You have a beauty there.

Colin

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
Congrats on being selected ROTM

Great looking GO Shelby

1 - 20 of 20 Posts