Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm driving home from work yesterday down the highway at about 80 mph, when I see this lima bean sized rock a split second before it hit my windshield. Crack! Now I got a chip. Lucky it's only a chip and low on the windshield. I think I can fill it it, but man I hate getting that first chip, scratch, door ding, etc. in a new car.:boohoo:

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
So I'm driving home from work yesterday down the highway at about 80 mph, when I see this lima bean sized rock a split second before it hit my windshield. Crack! Now I got a chip. Lucky it's only a chip and low on the windshield. I think I can fill it it, but man I hate getting that first chip, scratch, door ding, etc. in a new car.:boohoo:

I have had mine over 1.5 years and it doesn't get any easier.:bandit:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Grabber

I put the same stuff on mine. I have a ding in the Front lower Bumper just made a mark in the film. I've good results in the past with the product.
I usually have to point it out for people to see. Time will tell. I'm concerned about yellowing on white car. Simple enough to remove if neccessary.

LLoyd

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Grabber

I put the same stuff on mine. I have a ding in the Front lower Bumper just made a mark in the film. I've good results in the past with the product.
I usually have to point it out for people to see. Time will tell. I'm concerned about yellowing on white car. Simple enough to remove if neccessary.

LLoyd

The good thing is that the warranty has a lifetime gaurentee: "NOT TO YELLOW". So if it does, you will get a new one for free.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I get some protection with my clear bra by ventureshield.

I think I may invest in that before I get some chips in the paint. From your pics, the shield is barely even noticable. Did you put it on yourself or did you have to take it somewhere?

·
Registered
131 Posts
6gun not cheap i paid $600. I think it takes a special talent to get it lay correct without bubbles. The only place i really didn't like was the clear film over the stripe seam on the front bumper.

Graber that exactly what the installer said if it yellows bring it back. The car see so little outside time its not really a concern

I don't know why Ford choose to place a seam in the middle of the front bumper .

LLoyd

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I got my first rock chip in the windshield driving it home from the dealership.
Colorado! I was so pi$$ed I almost threw up. I purposely took the back roads to avoid the idiots on the freeway. Some a$$hole ******* in a beat up farm truck doing 90 mph flew by me and threw a rock. :ugh:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm still not sure why Ford ceaped out with vinyl strips on the car.

Did you get your stripe fixed where it was peeling? I think after a couple of years or after a few holes in the vinyl, I may get them painted on.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The good thing is that the warranty has a lifetime gaurentee: "NOT TO YELLOW". So if it does, you will get a new one for free.

This stuff is not cheap, but it ROCKS! (Pardon the pun). We had our entire front end done, all paint around the windshield, rear bumper, rear spoiler...all for around $1100.00. One bad day with rock chips could cost far more than that.

We have used the clear bra on our last 3 Mustangs and I swear by it! For those of you in MN or WI, I highly reccomend using BRAVO AUTO BRA (See Link in my sig). TOm is a stand up guy and offered to drive from Minneapolis to Owatonna (75 miles) to fix a small bubble I found on one of my "OCD" days. After letting her sit in the sun a few hours, the bubble was gone, but I remain impressed with this level of customer service.

It does not protect against windshield chips though.....:boohoo:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I wouldn't have expected that product to cost so much. I'm surprised at how clear it is though and barely noticeable. If my Mach 1 didn't already have a few chips in the paint I'd consider it. Anyone notice any peeling? Any threat of it peeling from washing etc...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I got my first rock chip in the windshield driving it home from the dealership.
Colorado! I was so pi$$ed I almost threw up. I purposely took the back roads to avoid the idiots on the freeway. Some a$$hole ******* in a beat up farm truck doing 90 mph flew by me and threw a rock. :ugh:
Bummer Rick ! That
....well at least it wasn't the paint ,the windsheild can easily be replaced . SUV's and trucks are the worst at throwing rocks up off the tires.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wouldn't have expected that product to cost so much. I'm surprised at how clear it is though and barely noticeable. If my Mach 1 didn't already have a few chips in the paint I'd consider it. Anyone notice any peeling? Any threat of it peeling from washing etc...

Everything is 100% guaranteed, but hand washing is necessary (no powerwashers)....When we had our Mach 1, we had the chips fixed, then applied the clear bra and never had another issue. IMO, the money spent is well worth it, as I no longer need to check for chips after every cruise not to mention, repainting the front end can cost far more than the autobra.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Last night I took my better half to dinner and on the way home we put the top down as the temp was still about 80 degrees.
While crossing a bridge over a wash, some kids decided it would be cool to fire off hand fulls of small rocks from the wash and we got nailed! took the right front fender and the windshield not to mention the rocks to the side of my Wifes head! She is OK but my ride is probably gonna require about $1500 worth of surgery. So much for that new car smell.
:soapbox:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Everything is 100% guaranteed, but hand washing is necessary (no powerwashers)....When we had our Mach 1, we had the chips fixed, then applied the clear bra and never had another issue. IMO, the money spent is well worth it, as I no longer need to check for chips after every cruise not to mention, repainting the front end can cost far more than the autobra.
I might have to consider this investment down the road. When I bought my Mach 1 there were some funky marks on the hood and at the time I just thought they were water spots. After I got it home I realized that something had eaten away the clear coat in those areas and the paint was exposed so I'm going to have to repaint the hood sometime. I'd also like to put on an earlier Cobra front bumper or somehow get the existing license plate area smoothed out in my bumper. Once all of that is done, I think I'll get one of these bra's. They seem worth it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Last night I took my better half to dinner and on the way home we put the top down as the temp was still about 80 degrees.
While crossing a bridge over a wash, some kids decided it would be cool to fire off hand fulls of small rocks from the wash and we got nailed! took the right front fender and the windshield not to mention the rocks to the side of my Wifes head! She is OK but my ride is probably gonna require about $1500 worth of surgery. So much for that new car smell.
:soapbox:

did you chase after those kids ? :info-smilie:

·
Registered
382 Posts
I should have tried, but it was pitch dark in the wash and i'm sure they split when they got a confirmed hit.
I think what bothers me more is, we never did that kind of crap as kids we had a blast without destroying other people's property

1 - 20 of 23 Posts