Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you watch the Motor Trend channel, you've no doubt been inundated with their commercials, but you should give them a shot if you work on your own stuff. I'm pretty much a parts snob. I worked as a parts guy on a part time basis throughout college and for the last 35 years, had full access to the parts house I worked at to look up and order anything they could get and use their machine shop like I owned the place. They closed their doors 3 years ago. I just completed my third order with RockAuto and so far, I'm very impressed. And yes, they do have Motorcraft parts for you purists, but they have a good selection of parts from economy to performance. I'm in the process of putting a 2" leveling suspension under my F-150 and having taken the front end apart, I could not believe how bad my brakes, pads and rotors, look on the front of this vehicle with only 25,000 miles. Perhaps I've turned the wickup too high on this little twin turbo. Seeing my OEM PVD chrome wheels (cough, crap) are flaking around the outer edge of the face of the wheel, I decided to order a new set of rims to use with my up coming tire swap (almost as bad as the brakes). I found a set of wheels on Summit racing and started looked at brake and rotor sets.

I put a set of brakes and rotors in my shopping cart and decided to see what RockAuto had to offer. What a selection. They have Wagner, Power Stop, Motorcraft, AC Delco, Bendix, Concentric, just to name a few. I compared the same set I had in my Summit cart and while Summit has free shipping, the RockAuto price was low enough to justify ordering from two different places with shipping. I didn't stop there. They had 4 different categories and I went to the severe duty category to see what they had. All but one of the rotors in this category had drilled and slotted rotors. I didn't want drilled. AC Delco makes this rotor, and that's what I ordered.

You also have the ability to search by part number instead of vehicle, if you want to check price. They also have oils and lubricants. My parts will be here tomorrow and Thursday, so they ship very quickly.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,639 Posts
Glad you are having success with them John, but I won't use them. I tried buying a rim from them for my spare tire, and their parts selection system said it would fit my car. When I got it, the offset was wrong, and it would hit my calipers if I were to try and mount it. They ran me through the ringer of denials and then accusations that I should have known it wouldn't fit my car even though it was THEIR system that said the rim would fit a 2010 Ford Shelby GT500! They did finally agree to take the rim back, but it cost me a chunk of change because I was living in Kodiak. I had shipped them through a freight forwarder in Seattle, and I had to pay the ride back to Seattle.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
I've mostly had success with Rockauto parts. BUT - I've been thru two sets of replacement headlights with them (for my Tacoma) and all 4 lights allowed moisture in and were always foggy.

E-bay also has many gently-used and new parts.

·
Super Moderator
5,375 Posts
My experience with them has mostly been "hit" rather than "miss". Thus far the misses have been easily solved, i.e. I didn't have to contact them to carry on with the project.

·
Premium Member
2013 GT500 and 2020 GT500
3,952 Posts
Code: 1296422031763189
Using your discount code is easy! Enter your discount code in the 'How Did You Hear About Us?' box without any other numbers or characters for an additional 5% savings. Discounts cannot be applied once an order is marked as shipped.

Code expires on April 5, 2020

·
Premium Member
2014 Ruby Red Metallic w/White racing stripes
576 Posts
Glad you are having success with them John, but I won't use them. I tried buying a rim from them for my spare tire, and their parts selection system said it would fit my car. When I got it, the offset was wrong, and it would hit my calipers if I were to try and mount it. They ran me through the ringer of denials and then accusations that I should have known it wouldn't fit my car even though it was THEIR system that said the rim would fit a 2010 Ford Shelby GT500! They did finally agree to take the rim back, but it cost me a chunk of change because I was living in Kodiak. I had shipped them through a freight forwarder in Seattle, and I had to pay the ride back to Seattle.

Man that stinks, I have always heard good things, but hey I get it. There is a sponsoring vendor here I wouldn't order from if it was free. Every order...Every order they eff'ed up and not once apologized. Worst customer service not to mention dirty crooks. Best to keep them to myself as I know others find them appealing.

Maybe it is just dumb luck we all run into from time to time.

·
Premium Member
7,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure we've all had bad experiences with certain vendors. I know I have and never think about using them again. But sometimes it's not their fault that the manufacturer's claims are wrong or the manufacturer drop shipped you the wrong part. That's when customer service makes or breaks a vendor. I've had several issues go south when using Summit Racing and those guys have always come through for me. But they're more of an aftermarket vendor than replacement parts.

·
Registered
2012 Kona Blue SVTPP GT500
149 Posts
They’re pretty good. Been working with them for about 10 years. Literally did most of my side work (planned) from them. Don’t tell my accountant! There were a few wrong parts frequently in the early days, but generally they have almost anything and pricing is generally very good. It’s handy the way you see parts that ship from the same location so you can save on shipping.
The only time they’re not great is for heavier items due to shipping costs but they usually have close outs on rotors which works out fine. I used them for my front and rear pad/rotors.

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,981 Posts
I’ve got parts from them before and plan to again.
Easy to order, good pricing, huge selection. I’ve not had to deal with issues/returns with them so far...hope it stays that way.

·
Premium Member
7,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One order I placed, was for an idler pulley for my Shelby. I had one of the blue accessory belts that were really made for the earlier cars with a longer belt for the power steering pump. I used a bigger idler to take up the slack. I ended up going back to the factory belt because it would give more room for my intercooler by-pass I made. I had removed both belts tracking down a noisy bearing somewhere in the FEAD, otherwise I probably wouldn't have fooled with it. I couldn't find the original idler, so I ordered one. Next day I found it by accident, which was over the course of the weekend. I cancelled the order, but had used paypal. The order was not executed and they refunded my money within a couple of days. I sort of figured, I'd have ended up with a spare pulley.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i usually try to buy from rock auto.
i can usually buy parts from them for less after paying shipping then i can from a local parts house at dealer prices.
1 week abo the upper radiator hose on my beater POS 2000 ram pickup sprung a leak. the GATES hose shipped was under $20. the cheapest i could buy a generic hose was $23 at a local parts house at dealer cost.

BE CAREFUL when ordering multiple parts. you can buy 5 parts that get shipped from 4 different warehouses. shipping costs can kill the low prices they offer.
there is a titorial on rock autos site. how to buy parts to minimize shipping. it somewhat confusing but if you read it several times. once you understand how to use it, it does help reduce shipping costs.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
BE CAREFUL when ordering multiple parts. you can buy 5 parts that get shipped from 4 different warehouses. shipping costs can kill the low prices they offer.
there is a titorial on rock autos site. how to buy parts to minimize shipping. it somewhat confusing but if you read it several times. once you understand how to use it, it does help reduce shipping costs.
Cudos to you for figuring out how to minimize shipping cost, but why does a supplier put the onus on the consumer to figure this out? It’s the supplier’s system, and he should have computer routines built into his shipping system to pick the most cost efficient shipping point(s) for each order.

·
Premium Member
2013 GT500 and 2020 GT500
3,952 Posts
Cudos to you for figuring out how to minimize shipping cost, but why does a supplier put the onus on the consumer to figure this out? It’s the supplier’s system, and he should have computer routines built into his shipping system to pick the most cost efficient shipping point(s) for each order.
I am sure that is exactly what would happen if the shipper was offering free shipping.

·
Premium Member
7,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, it dawns on me this morning that I am ending up with one rear rotor. I got two front rotors in the kit I ordered, but there was no matching kit for the rear brakes with manual parking brake, either that are it's not available. I must have had a senior moment thinking pair like the kit when I ordered the rear rotor(s). So, I ended up using Earl's discount code. At least I can get the fronts brakes done this weekend. The lift looks great and took a good bit longer to install than what I was expecting. Gone are the days of much simpler 4WD systems. Wheels and tires next.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Earl, full heartedly agree. If it was their money, they would take the initiative like Amazon does.

John, truck looks good!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use them ONLY as last resort, product line is good, but shipping is absurd,
I can buy from Napa, at full price, for less than rock auto + shipping.
I freqiently use them for the part number, then seek it elsewhere. ( for much, much less )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts