Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 GT500
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure if this belonged in here or in maintenance, but I wanted to post and ask if anyone has some advice on how to deal with the ugly rock dings on the heat exchanger? Its driving me crazy, my Shelby is a sea of black and right front-and-center are a bunch of silver ding marks.

Can I just spray paint the dings back to black or would that clog it up somehow? Any advice would certainly be appreciated!

Thanks!
Car Vehicle Tire Grille Hood

·
Premium Member
2014 GT500 Ruby Red
574 Posts
You can get down there with needle nose pliers/small standard screwdriver and straighten the vanes, that would probably clean it up appearance wise and I doubt you would need to, but could hit it with some paint if you really want to. I have 66K on mine and its not just the HE, but also the radiator. I am OCD, but none them look that bad for me to do it. I would definitely mask the area off to avoid any overspray and spray lightly.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
43,873 Posts
Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure if this belonged in here or in maintenance, but I wanted to post and ask if anyone has some advice on how to deal with the ugly rock dings on the heat exchanger? Its driving me crazy, my Shelby is a sea of black and right front-and-center are a bunch of silver ding marks.

Can I just spray paint the dings back to black or would that clog it up somehow? Any advice would certainly be appreciated!

Thanks!
View attachment 247680
Moved your post here to the problems section.

I’d just straighten the fins with a small screwdriver. You can then use a Sharpie, paint pen or just hit it with a rattle can after some masking.

Reactions: AZ21GT500

·
Premium Member
2014 GT500
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, thank you both for this advice. I also had an idea pop into my head to try one of those fin-comb things the HVAC folks use to repair dinged up AC units.

Lots of ideas to try, will let you guys know if I mess something up, :D

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
43,873 Posts
Awesome, thank you both for this advice. I also had an idea pop into my head to try one of those fin-comb things the HVAC folks use to repair dinged up AC units.

Lots of ideas to try, will let you guys know if I mess something up, :D
I recently straightened the fins on my 2020 oil cooler. I have fin combs, but could not use them on my oil cooler. Fin combs only work on straight fins and the oil cooler fins are kind of shaped like little triangles. Not sure what your fins are like, but get a close look before you tackle the job.

Reactions: AZ21GT500

·
Premium Member
2014 GT500
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Won't help with the damage you already have, may prevent future damage / hole in heat exchanger..

( www.customcargrills.com )
These have been installed since 7 Sept. 2013..
So I thought about this, but from what I understand Ford left it open to get extra airflow because they encountered heat issues while designing the car. Has this had any impact on your IATs?

·
Registered
2013 GT500 Convertible
126 Posts
I have the custom grills too. I'm in central Texas and it gets HOT. I had to put them on because the giant locusts/grasshoppers flatten the hell out of the fins. I have not noticed any change in temps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts