Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I'm sure these threads get old for the regulars.
Regardless I'm looking and I figured the Snake den was a good place to start.
Any and all leads are appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,685 Posts
Hi all.
Thanks.
These threads don’t get old whatsoever. It’s nice to see people seeking the mighty GT500! ?

What is your perfect car... coupe/vert/color/stripes/options/mods/mileage?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These threads don’t get old whatsoever. It’s nice to see people seeking the mighty GT500! ?

What is your perfect car... coupe/vert/color/stripes/options/mods/mileage?
Man that's a tough one as I see so many that would work.
I don't want to put any limitations on anyone's suggestions.
I will say that I will know it when I see it!!!

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
171 Posts
Hi all.
Thanks.
Honestly, I found mine with car guru's. I just put in what I was looking for and put a 500mi search radius on it. You can even search within 500mi of a given zip code, considering youd probably have more luck around major cities. Then I just watched the market and waited for the right one to pop up, saving my money for the down payment all the while. Good luck with the search and let us know when you find it and what you got.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
171 Posts
What a great suggestion.
I was totally unaware of that option.
Thanks!!
Of course. No worries fella. In fact, the site even gives you a carfax right there and a price comparison for the area.

·
Super Moderator
5,254 Posts
Hi all.
Thanks.
These threads NEVER get old! Helps us relive the excitement when we were searching! ;)

I hear ya on "you'll know when you see it". (y) That's the exact way it happened to me.

Take your time to research the differences between the model years. 2010 vs. 2011/12 vs 2013/14. You may already be aware but thought I'd mention that just in case. Trying to help avoid the purchase and then "oh, I didn't realize/know that" kind of thing.

Cargurus, Autotrader, Facebook groups (GT500 specific), this forum's For Sale/Wanted section and even Carmax are all good places to search. Craigslist as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Great advise on the model years too. I was thinking the extra electronics and HP in the 2013 would be desirable?
I would be very open to hearing quick thoughts on the various years if someone was willing to help.??
I'm pretty green with these cars on drive train, resale, etc.
Hearing from guys that really know would be priceless.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,685 Posts
Great advise on the model years too. I was thinking the extra electronics and HP in the 2013 would be desirable?
I would be very open to hearing quick thoughts on the various years if someone was willing to help.??
I'm pretty green with these cars on drive train, resale, etc.
Hearing from guys that really know would be priceless.
There is lots of info on the forum and our advanced search feature will be useful for you. The gist of it is the cars received improvements through the years and also got more expensive. 07-09 cars are basically the same. 2010 is a stand-alone year (upgraded body with old iron drivetrain). 2011/12 are basically the same (aluminum engines/electric power steering). 2013/14 are basically the same (5.8 engine with TVS supercharger).

·
Registered
2014 GT500
408 Posts
I would recommend going ba!!s deep. Go for the king of Shelbys (until 2020) and find a 13/14.
My favorite is the Ruby Red 14 with black stripes.

·
Registered
2014 GT500
408 Posts
I began my search wanting an 11 or 12 Kona Blue with red stripes, thinking that the 13-14 consisted of just the new rear end. Then I started to REALLY learn about how different they actually are.......except for the similar looks, the 13/14‘s are not the same car, not even close.
Obviously, the money is different between the model years too. But after about 4 years of owning my car (2014), I could sell it for just about what I paid for it, so it’s holding it‘s value very well. Plus, it’s just bad-ass.
Enjoy the search!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I'm hoping to do as well. 13-14, hold value, and shoot a little adrenaline once in awhile on a sunny day.
Not finding much in the NW corner of the USA though.
I appreciate your input and help!!!

·
Registered
2014 GT500
408 Posts
I found mine on car guru and it was in Connecticut but I live in Michigan. The previous owner was kind enough to store it for me for several months until the weather improved and I flew out with my wife and (at the time) 9 year old son and drove it home.
We made a memory out of it and it was a great experience! I was actually hoping to find one further away so we could spend more time driving it home and enjoying a quality road trip together.......we love road trips.......we drive to every vacation we go on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sweet.
Family is good.

I know this is a real generic question but what is "a good" price on one? Should a guy shy away from more than one owner? Things to be leery of?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,685 Posts
Sweet.
Family is good.

I know this is a real generic question but what is "a good" price on one? Should a guy shy away from more than one owner? Things to be leery of?
A “good price” will be dependent on year, condition and mileage. A 2010 will be cheaper than a 2011/12, which will be cheaper than a 2013/14. Low miles will be cheaper than high miles and typically mods don’t command a higher sale price and often exclude buyers. Also, expensive performance cars often have multiple previous owners since they are an unnecessary expense... people often buy them, play for awhile and then sell to the next owner when they grow tired of the car or payments or both.

You might find a low-mile virgin garage queen 2011 for the same price as a 2014 with quite a few mods/miles/owners.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
These are all good suggestions. You can also try to Google : " Tempest All of Craigslist" you put in your search car and it will give, by region, all the craigslist listings for that car. I would stay away from Auto Tempest and go for the regular craigslist. I found my first '12 GT500 that way. My second '12. which I just purchased, I found on the SVT forum. It was a 1100 mile beauty and I bought it from a very nice forum member (the advantage of finding one from either this forum or the SVT forum). I wanted an 11 or 12 because of price and what my preferences were.. I did not need the higher HP and I like the front and back of the 11 and 12's better than the 13 or 14. Just my personal preference. Good Luck with the search!

·
Super Moderator
5,254 Posts
Check our Bring a Trailer as well. There is a mint 2011 GT500 on there right now.

300-Mile 2011 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500

·
Registered
2014 GT500
408 Posts
I think a "good" price is one that you and the seller are both comfortable with. Look around and see what the range is for the year, mileage and condition that you’re interested in and come to a figure that you’d pay for what you want.

For example: I was 100% committed to finding a VERY specific car. I wanted a car that either had no stripes or black stripes because I knew I didn’t want any stripes on my seats (cars with white stripes have white stripes on the seats, red stripes have red stripes on the seats, blue stripes have blue stripes on the seats, no stripes and black stripes have all black seats). I wanted the Recaro seats, navigation, SVTPP, Track Pack, and without question it HAD to have the glass roof option. And ZERO modifications.

I found it in Connecticut and the only thing my car doesn’t have is the Shaker Pro which adds an amplifier and a subwoofer in the trunk. That and the color was secondary to me since I like all of the colors (Race Red is probably my least favorite but it would have been acceptable) that are available.

I paid a slight premium at the time because it was the exact car that I was looking for and I had been searching for quite some time so I was OK with the price that I paid. That’s where you need to be....you‘ll know when you find the right car at YOUR right price.....whatever that might be.

Good luck! The hunt is the best part.....until you’re driving your new Shelby.....then THAT’S the best part!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts