Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Kruse Auto Auction this Saturday and ran into this car, it's a retrobuilt car. Starts as a 2008 has 1967 front fenders, Saleen rear, 1967 door handles, 1967 scoops.
http://www.retrobuilt.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thats almost as bad as the Japanese mustang I posted the other day. That back end of the car is UGLY!
Glad I am not the only one thinking that!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Some of you may be to young to remember Johnny Cash 's song it went sorta like this.

One piece at a time and it didn't cost me a dime!!!

He was speaking about parts he had stolen from cadillac assembly line job he had. He gathered parts for many years be fore attempting to bolt together.

History will always repeat itself. Any one here own a Shelby.

ILLEGAL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, first off let me introduce myself. My name is Tony, I'm the lead designer for Retrobuilt and the RSC-GT. Let me explain a little bit of what the purpose behind this car and our program is before everyone starts bashing the car for whatever reason. We operate a fairly large high end restoration business just south of Springfield, MO. We own 5 Shelby's, 2 1968 KR's, 67 GT500, 06 Hertz and an 07 500 convertible. I consider myself somewhat passionate about what I do here and so do my co-workers. We've spent years cutting apart and destroying vintage mustangs, camaros and mopars in an effort to meet the day -to-day driving demands of our customers, who continually ask us to find more ways to make their old cars more reliable, handle better and provide more creature comforts. Therefore, we developed a series of vehicles designed to accommodate both. The look of the old with the reliability of the new. We did not set out to design a car that would appeal to everyone, that's apparently impossible to do. So, rather than criticize our efforts to protect the integrity of the collector car market, you should applaud the fact that an organization is doing something creative and different rather than slapping a bumper cover and an emblem on something and selling it off at a premium. Our cars are hand built and all steel, it's not just fenders and scoops, the doors and quarters are new also, there is over 1200 hrs of design and fabrication time in the prototype. I don't have any problem with criticism as long as it's positive. Thanks for your comments.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Wow! We seem to have struck a nerve. :eek: And speaking of nerve, I sure hope the "slapping a bumper cover and an emblem on something and selling it off at a premium" comment was not meant as a slam on the '07 Shelby GT500. If it was, you're in the wrong place for that kind of stuff. :mad:

I appreciate your efforts, Tony, and I believe everyone has a right to make a living. I still think the car is kinda ugly. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is exactly the type of response I didn't want. Nothing about my reply implied anyone striking a NERVE. And no, I'm not picking on the 07 500, I own one! I'm sorry you don't like the car, that's OK. Perhaps you'll like the looks of the 69 Boss 302 version or the 68 Shelby version, I'll be happy to post pics of the prototypes as soon as we have them completed (within the next few weeks) The car will be at Bowling Green, KY if anyone would like to see it in person. It's not our intentions to disrupt the mustang or Shelby market, after all, no matter how many of these cars we build we still have to start with a new mustang or Shelby. Thanks again for your input, T

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree a little with Tony, we should let him show us more pictures, they don't always tend to show the best side of a car. There is a reason that there is professional shots and the ones we got a look at weren't the best. The only thing I have to say so far is that while I like two-tone paint jobs I am not a fan of the bottom color on that build but that might have been the customers choice and as his car it is going to be what he likes. Also while I love the Eleanor front end I am unsure about the silver trim on the rear but until we see a finish product we shouldn't be so quick to judge

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To each there own, if everybody liked the same thing there wouldn't be enough to go around. But I'm not digging this car even though my pics werent the best. I saw it in person.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well Retro, the only other thing that I can say is "Welcome To The Board". We owe you that at a minimum.

Look around and have lots of fun in here.

flip

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yes, welcome to the forum, Retrobuilt! I think the lower color is not a popular color and instantly takes away from the looks of the car. I like the lines, especially on the side, and the wheels are just like my son's Mach 1 wheels, which I like very much. The front end is very nice and I am maybe the only one here that kind of likes the rear end! Especially the way the lights are separated. I would like to see some interior shots of this car and I look forward to seeing shots of your future Mustang projects. Kerry said it best, if we all liked the same thing.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
:) Thanks guys for the support, the entire two-tone scheme was chosen because the car has a Glassback roof, which is black, I was afraid if I kefp the car a solid color it would have an odd looking swash of color over the doors. The red is Corsa Rosa Red (Ferrari). We wanted to get the car to Auburn and to some shows with as much eye appeal as possible, although not my first choice either it did get a lot of attention. The silver panel on the rear is solid billit aluminum, this also facilitated th Saleen like rear treatment as that panel would be sticking off the back of the car over 1/2 inch on the ends. That tail panel cost well over 5 figures to produce for the prototype, so, of course I did not want to paint it.We have options for painted ones, they just won't be billit. Thanks again, hope to meet some of you at Kentucky, T:D

·
Registered
147 Posts
:) Thanks guys for the support, the entire two-tone scheme was chosen because the car has a Glassback roof, which is black, I was afraid if I kefp the car a solid color it would have an odd looking swash of color over the doors. The red is Corsa Rosa Red (Ferrari). We wanted to get the car to Auburn and to some shows with as much eye appeal as possible, although not my first choice either it did get a lot of attention. The silver panel on the rear is solid billit aluminum, this also facilitated th Saleen like rear treatment as that panel would be sticking off the back of the car over 1/2 inch on the ends. That tail panel cost well over 5 figures to produce for the prototype, so, of course I did not want to paint it.We have options for painted ones, they just won't be billit. Thanks again, hope to meet some of you at Kentucky, T:D
Retro, when will the car be in Bowling Green? I go back and forth to Louisville, Ky. and if time permits, wouldn't mind stopping by and taking a peek. Is there a show in BG?

Thanks

flip

·
Registered
4 Posts
The NMRA World Finals is Oct. 4th thru the 7th at Beech Bend Raceway in Bowling Green. Let me know if you think you can make it and I'll get you my personal info so we can meet up there, thanks again. T

1 - 15 of 15 Posts