Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference in the , In Vehicle Repair for the shifter Lever verses the Removal procedure of the Transmission? :confused:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
What is the difference in the , In Vehicle Repair for the shifter Lever verses the Removal procedure of the Transmission? :confused:
Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the assumption that while replacing the drive shaft (to aluminum that is) the Tri-ax could also be accomplished. Removal of the trani to accomplish this was never a consideration. The Tri-ax was only needed in my application to accomodate the additional height of the shifter for the line lock button and pistol grip shifter. Talk to me about trani removal?:confused:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Service manual states

1 Remove g/ shift knob and boot
2 remove upper g/ shift lever bolts and the upper g/ shift lever
3 place car in Nuetral place on lift
4 remove d/ shaft
5 remove 4 sub frame cross brace bolts 6 support trans with jack
7 remove 4 trans outer bolts
8 lower trans
9 remove 2 g/ shift lever nuts
-------------------------------
10 remove g/ shift assb
1 insert a pick into lower hole to unlock clip
2 rotate g/ shift lever retainers, then remove retainers
3 remove g/ shift lever bolt
4 remove g/ shift lever assembly from car

Hope this is what you are looking for. Any questions catch me tonite. I will be out of town this week. Ray

Post Script this is for OUR trans TR 6060

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Thanks 07, still unsure which method I will follow for installation of the tri-ax shifter or whether this whole application is even worth it just to accomodate the pistol grip with line lock combo? It seems that working through the console for the in Vehicle Repair would be some what tight working conditions. Then again will wait to see the actual shifter as I believe the pics and actual shifter will tell the story as to which process is the best. Are you thinking of this application and if so which method have you chosen?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thinks for everyones input, I will let you know how it goes when I dig in and install shifter. By the way how do you post pictures? I have some on other modifications done to the car.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Go towards the bottom of the page and click on the Advanced tab,then click on the Manage Attachments tab.Another window will pop up then choose the Browse tab, navigate to where it is on your computer,click on the picture then click the Upload tab.Close out the Manage Attachments window and click on Submit Reply.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got the shifter installed. Took a few hours. Had to take Drive Shaft off, driver side exhaust plus x-pipe and Transmission crossmember to lower the Trany enough to reach the top of the shifter to be able to get to it. While the Drive Shaft is out I am replacing it with a one piece unit. I weighed the two and the Stock Drive shaft weighs 20 pounds more.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Finally got the shifter installed. Took a few hours. Had to take Drive Shaft off, driver side exhaust plus x-pipe and Transmission crossmember to lower the Trany enough to reach the top of the shifter to be able to get to it. While the Drive Shaft is out I am replacing it with a one piece unit. I weighed the two and the Stock Drive shaft weighs 20 pounds more.
Sounds like another happy Evolution customer. Evo. got me as well.:p Sounds as though there is an install method between trani removal and in vehicle repair method.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
300 Posts
While I did have to unbolt the tranny cross member and lower the tail of the transmission, I did not have to remove the driveshaft or unbolt the exhaust to install the Steeda TriAx. Yes the clip holding the driver side of the factory shifter is a tough reach but if my big hands can do it.....

Installing the TriAx was much easier than removal of the factory shifter. The tranny does not have to come out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts