Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Shelby GT500 convertible
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum. I replaced my 66 mustang convert with a 2007 Shelby GT500 convert. I am a total newbie with a bone-stock, stripe-delete GT 500.

I have two questions about tire choices when replacing the OE Goodyear Eagles:

1. Ratio/size: I'm interested in switching to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4, but the rear tires are not available in 285/40/18. I can get them in 285/35/18. Is it okay to change to that ratio (35) without affecting performance? What about appearance--would that ratio look to different compared to front tires (45)? Is it a better choice to drop down to a 265/40 tire for the rears?
2. All-season?I live in Minnesota and drive this car from April to early November. I sometimes drive in 45-degree weather. Has anyone switched to an AS high-performance tire like the Michelin AS3? Would that make me a complete dweeb?

I've read a few horror stories of the Eagles going sideways under even moderate cornering and traction situations in cool weather (like 45 to 50 degrees).

Any suggestions appreciated for alternate choices also, like Conti. I know it's a high-performance car, but a little softer/quieter ride would be a good thing (without going totally Buick). Don't need 186mph or track handling capabilities.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,727 Posts
Generally, going 5% less on aspect ratio is going to be roughly 1" in tire diameter. Unless you do likewise with the fronts, your car will have shorter tires out back. It's usually not a good look. We don't have winter in Louisiana, so I only have experience with A/S on my truck. It will impact your tire's speed rating, if that's important to you. You'll probably give up some adhesion on hot summer roadways.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
35,352 Posts
I'm new to this forum. I replaced my 66 mustang convert with a 2007 Shelby GT500 convert. I am a total newbie with a bone-stock, stripe-delete GT 500.

I have two questions about tire choices when replacing the OE Goodyear Eagles:

1. Ratio/size: I'm interested in switching to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4, but the rear tires are not available in 285/40/18. I can get them in 285/35/18. Is it okay to change to that ratio (35) without affecting performance? What about appearance--would that ratio look to different compared to front tires (45)? Is it a better choice to drop down to a 265/40 tire for the rears?
2. All-season?I live in Minnesota and drive this car from April to early November. I sometimes drive in 45-degree weather. Has anyone switched to an AS high-performance tire like the Michelin AS3? Would that make me a complete dweeb?

I've read a few horror stories of the Eagles going sideways under even moderate cornering and traction situations in cool weather (like 45 to 50 degrees).

Any suggestions appreciated for alternate choices also, like Conti. I know it's a high-performance car, but a little softer/quieter ride would be a good thing (without going totally Buick). Don't need 186mph or track handling capabilities.
Thanks
Welcome to the forum Charlie and congrats on your Shelby! 🤟

There are no problems changing tire sizes on these cars, unlike older Mustangs that would have an ABS issue with different comparative wheel speeds. Your speedometer/odometer will be off, but this can be corrected with an aftermarket tune.

I grew up in MN. Keep that beautiful car away from the salt!

If you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your ride, you’ll find our new member area here:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Generally, going 5% less on aspect ratio is going to be roughly 1" in tire diameter. Unless you do likewise with the fronts, your car will have shorter tires out back. It's usually not a good look. We don't have winter in Louisiana, so I only have experience with A/S on my truck. It will impact your tire's speed rating, if that's important to you. You'll probably give up some adhesion on hot summer roadways.
Excellent info. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum Charlie and congrats on your Shelby! 🤟

There are no problems changing tire sizes on these cars, unlike older Mustangs that would have an ABS issue with different comparative wheel speeds. Your speedometer/odometer will be off, but this can be corrected with an aftermarket tune.

I grew up in MN. Keep that beautiful car away from the salt!

If you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your ride, you’ll find our new member area here:

Will do. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts