Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for new meat. It seems the choice for replacement 18" tires is pretty narrow. Some apparently good tires don't come quite wide enough for the rears. Traction is already an issue with 285s, so I'm not inclined to go smaller. Looking through the Tire Rack surveys, and listening to a few folks here and on SU/TS, it seems that KDW-2s are the best choice - certainly better than the OEM F1s vis a vis hydroplaning.
For those who may have KDW-2s, what do you think of them and are they noisy compared to OEM? I've read a couple comments (I'm sure BJ was one of the Tire Rack commenters) but that was a few months ago - what's the latest, guys?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Nitto has some good choices. I'll probably go with Nittos once I get my rear rims widened.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
KDW's are much stickier than the stockers when it is warm.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Sticky is good.:cowtounge:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. BJ and Beach - what about tire noise? I know, I know. If you have to ask . . .
Re: Nittos - was thinking of them for my '93 Cobra since that truly is my fair weather car.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have the KDWs. The only noise I've noticed is on one or two bridges on the interstates. Must be some sort of harmonic between the bridge, the concrete deck, and the tires. Never had much noise to speak of on solid ground.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Noise?

Listen for yourself...

:)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
1/2 car 1/2 beast!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Thanks for the info. BJ and Beach - what about tire noise? I know, I know. If you have to ask . . .
Re: Nittos - was thinking of them for my '93 Cobra since that truly is my fair weather car.
I read about the noise when I read the reviews on Tire Rack. All I can say is "Woosies". I don't hear anything and I have a discriminating ear. All I can hear is my FRPP axle backs. :eyemouth:

bj

Attachments

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Selective hearing?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the feedback with the, um, usual flair guys. KDWs it is. :rocker:
I'm in good company - anyone remember what the topic was? :worried:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yes. KDW-2s.

Which lead me to check the BFG site, as I didn't recall KDW-2s. They list KD, KDW, and KDWS - but no KDW-2. The only one that comes in stock size is the KDW. The other two don't even come close to stock size.

Are the KDW-2s something new, or does the 2 refer to the new tread pattern versus the traditional tread pattern? My KDWs have what they refer to as the new tread pattern, even though that pattern has been available for quite a while.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Orf -
It's a Tire Rack designation to indicate that a new tread pattern for the KDW. TR said on its website they used it to differentiate the tires for the survey purposes. All new KDW tires are this new pattern that TR calls the KDW-2. I don't know how long ago the so-called -2s came out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts