Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
Could you let me know what LED bulbs to order to replace the 161 bulbs in a Shelby gauge pod. I want to get blue LED bulbs.
I ended up ordering these
License Plate LEDs for 2007-2009 Ford Mustang GT500 (one)
Color
Blue
Bulb Model
SMD2 (24 lumens)??

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I will see if the ones I ordered work, if not I will order the ones you recommended. I should of waited...oh well! Take care.

·
Supporting Vendor
531 Posts
Those will work as well, they just don't have as much lumen output

Good news is that they will fit your map lights if you decide to go with another bulb model for your gauges

Nick C.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, the ones I ordered looked OK on the two farther gauges but not bright enough on the closer one. I will order your suggestion and in red.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Nick, I ordered the hp3's you suggested and the boost gauge is not bright enough. After some testing and research, it is the design of the gauge, not the wiring or bulb. Is there a brighter bulb I can order for this gauge?

·
Premium Member
4,347 Posts
Hmmm, make's me wonder how the red would look. If I recall right, the blue is typically brighter than the red.

Keep us posted

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I agree. At this point I am ready to put the stock bulbs back in. Spoke with Nick and I am going to try the HP5, blue bulb in the boost gauge, it is twice as bright.

·
Premium Member
4,347 Posts
Maybe I need to test the red lights? I keep thinking about trying them out.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for $30, worth a try. I am hoping the HP5's will do the trick. Pretty easy to swap out if the Velcro was used for your pod install.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HP5's are perfect! I put the blue in the boost gauge and it is very bright. I will be replacing the other two shortly, I made a mistake on my order and Phillip @ DD swapped everything for me and I will have the 2 additional bulbs in a couple days and will post pictures. Really neat looking upgrade IMO and the customer service was great too.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Video with the HP5B's in the Shelby gauge pod, of course good time to listen to the cams, you can see my dash cam in blue at the beginning, it turns on and loops every time I start my car, 2 separate memory cards.
https://youtu.be/a76HlyQ24DQ

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, if I replace my bulbs, my engine will sound like that? :)
Sorry, hadn't started it in weeks and had a few drinks...hard to tell from the picture, but I think the HP5's are bright enough. The boost gauge will always be a little more dim, but you can definitely read them. :wink:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts