Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to remove sill plates? Also I installed my dash plaque without spraying it with Krylon UV. Is there any way to remove it without killing my dash and/or the plaque?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
What's the best way to remove sill plates? Also I installed my dash plaque without spraying it with Krylon UV. Is there any way to remove it without killing my dash and/or the plaque?
To remove the sill plates:

1. Carefully warm the plates with a heat gun or hair dryer
2. Feed a piece of fishing line under one corner
3. Using a sawing motion, work the fishing line under the plate.
4. As the fishing line gets tight, add more heat.

This same technique will probably work for the dash plaque, although you'll probably need to get some new 3M tape to reinstall it.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts

This same technique will probably work for the dash plaque, although you'll probably need to get some new 3M tape to reinstall it.
Good answer Mr PREZ............ Gald to see you're still around. And did I read somewhere you're afraid of driving without Mrs Prez???????????????????:boohoo:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Awesome thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
fishing line works great thats what i did. Hair dryer and you are all set. The biggest issue i had was was removing old glue. (yes i'm anal) 3M adhesive remover worked the best. Don't try to remove the glue unless you want a lot of work. It spreads and get on the sill then you have to remove it all. lots of work.
good luck on the dash heat and fishing line should work fine. You'll need new two sided tape to put it back.

LLoyd

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would leave the dash plaque alone!.....trust me!:boohoo:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thats what i did, I purchased a brand new set of sills and put in storage. Removed the stock plates and replace it with the GT500 sill plates. I have kept all of the stock parts to put everything back to stock.

I think i paid $160 for the pair.

LLoyd

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought these from Team Ford paid $48.38 including freight.

Left and Right Part #s 5R3Z6313208CAC And 5R3Z6313209CAC

They are only the plastic sills for a Mustang. You have to cut away some plastic to make the new sill plate sit flush. A little work but worth saving $110.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts