Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 SVTPP Ingot Silver
176 Posts
My struts are no longer holding my hood open with any confidence. New ones will be here tomorrow and I think they are the same manufacturer (not the original owner and no markings on the struts). Hopefully I can leave the hardware in place and just replace the struts.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
321 Posts
After doing some further investigation on my '09 hood prop rod and reading this from @1 Alibi 2 "my prop rod has never let me down, on either car.." he is absolutely correct. When the prop rod is in place my hood cannot, of course, be blown down by the wind but oddly enough it also cannot be blown backward by the wind either
Notice that the hook part of the prop rod has only moved slightly forward when upward pressure is applied to the hood and the hook is still firmly in place and doing it's job of preventing the hood from moving in either direction until the prop rod is lowered manually. This holds true on '07-'09 Shelbys. Not sure about '10+, but I would think they would be similar.

Yes, I know I should touch up my hood area where the prop rod contacts it.

Note: This is not an "experiment". These are once again FACTS.
Unfortunately, the prop rod let me down on Sat when a massive gust blew the hood against the windshield and broke the windshield. Not sure exactly how it happened, I was putting stuff in the trunk at the time so I didn't see it, but when I looked up, a buddy was holding the hood. I thought he just caught it from falling, until we looked and saw the lower part of the windshield pretty cracked.
If only I had left 5 minutes sooner.

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue/White Stripes
761 Posts
Unfortunately, the prop rod let me down on Sat when a massive gust blew the hood against the windshield and broke the windshield. Not sure exactly how it happened, I was putting stuff in the trunk at the time so I didn't see it, but when I looked up, a buddy was holding the hood. I thought he just caught it from falling, until we looked and saw the lower part of the windshield pretty cracked.
If only I had left 5 minutes sooner.
It is possible for the hood to still be propped up with the prop rod sitting near the other end of the oval opening, almost like picture #1. If that were the case then I can see a gust of wind blowing the hood back. If propped up like in pictures #2 & #3, which is the correct way, then I just cannot see this happening.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
321 Posts
It is possible for the hood to still be propped up with the prop rod sitting near the other end of the oval opening, almost like picture #1. If that were the case then I can see a gust of wind blowing the hood back. If propped up like in pictures #2 & #3, which is the correct way, then I just cannot see this happening.
I always get as much of the rod in the hole as possible, so it's like pics 2&3, and it happened. Unfortunately nothing is 100%, and I happened to get the rare occurrence.

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue/White Stripes
761 Posts
I always get as much of the rod in the hole as possible, so it's like pics 2&3, and it happened. Unfortunately nothing is 100%, and I happened to get the rare occurrence.
Wow, I guess you did. Never would have expected that.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts